Non Stick Decals

D602bulldog

Hi i have been building some slaters plastic kits and now its time to add the decals these are the ones you score around and remove from backing paper add to wagon then use water to remove paper decal stays on wagon some of these arnt sticky anymore so wont stay on wagon,is there anythink you can do to revive them or bin it buy new ones.

Cheers

I have had this problem in the past. Sometimes the decals really hate sticking to a matt surface, which is a pity because matt is generally what we want, especially with wagons. Produce a glossy wagon and then you have to spend hours dulling it down. So it's a choice of evils.

Micro Sol/Micro Set may help. Failing that a local application of varnish will act as an effective glue.

Personally, I always cover decals with a coat of protective varnish, this stops them being damaged and also usually holds them in place even if they are not in 100% top condition.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Poggy1165 said:

Produce a glossy wagon and then you have to spend hours dulling it down.

Hardly -a quick waft of Testors Dullcote and the job's done.

Believe me - as a transfer producer - a gloss finish is an absolute must if you want good adhesion and invisible carrier film, (if there is any).

Regards,

John Iserwood.

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I think you are describing pressfix transfers. I have been able to use them by soaking off the backing, positioning the numeral on a damp surface with a paintbrush, letting dry then carefully sealing with varnish. They are easily dislodged so you need to be careful until fixed.

I’ve also read that you can use them the same way as the meth fix equivalents, once the tack has gone.