4DD Double Deck EMU

Kris

However deep they think their pockets will need to be, they will need to be deeper by a factor of 2x, 4x, 6x or probably even more. I'm absolutely delighted that it's been "rescued" from where it's sat for so many years and it would be a fantastic sight restored. I do wish them well but can't help thinking it will need to be a complete rebuild rather than a restoration. The pictures in the link speak for themselves.

• Agree 2

Based upon the age of the stock I'd be worried if replacing any steel panels as there could be blue asbestos insulation material behind them.

This unique experiment in vehicle construction needs to be at least conserved for posterity.  Shame that the Thompson double deck sleeper didn't survive.

• RMweb Premium
On 25/02/2019 at 13:17, AMJ said:

Based upon the age of the stock I'd be worried if replacing any steel panels as there could be blue asbestos insulation material behind them.

This unique experiment in vehicle construction needs to be at least conserved for posterity.  Shame that the Thompson double deck sleeper didn't survive.

Double deck sleeper?

At least the article on the 4DD seemed quite well written, not always a given in newspapers.  Not just a string of clichés and puns.

Thompson designed an experimental third class sleeper which had the compartments designed so that they were T shaped with beds in the upper section and the next compartment being an inverted T and the beds at usual height.  Similar configuration to DD but using existing loading gauge.

For a diagram etc see page 357 of David Jenkinson book The Hiistory of British Railway Carriages 1900-53

• Thanks 1

On 26/02/2019 at 00:17, AMJ said:

I would not be surprised if the DD didn't have blue asbestos, seeing as many of the earlier build SR units lasted longer in service than later built units (from the late 1950s) which had blue asbestos so were retired before the older units, which were asbestos free.

I know as an EMU a single car is no use, but restored as a loco hauled coach (modify the cab end to include the luggage area and turn it into a wheelchair saloon) it would be really interesting to play with.

• RMweb Gold

I think that picture is when it was dumped at Ashford in some long forgotten sidings, I saw it early 98 and was in a pretty run down condition though complete and no vandalism or graffiti the only thing missing which I suspect was removed by BR was the EP brake controller.

Most of the upper decks upholstery had rotted due to sunlight, but this vehicle should really be in the NRM the UKs only double deck passenger train if early stagecoach based vehicles are excluded