National Benzole 14t tank wagons, all wrong?

Hi guys

Really need your help with these.

So, 734 in silver/grey, 1959 type logos, I can't find anything like this in my books or online, in fact all I can find is anchor mount tanks but with the older logo head.

2023 I have found 1954 built, but again anchor mount, class B.

Did Bachmann just not bother or were these rebuilt to anchor mounting later?

Any help gratefully received :)

IMG_2215.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Hi guys

Really need your help with these.

So, 734 in silver/grey, 1959 type logos, I can't find anything like this in my books or online, in fact all I can find is anchor mount tanks but with the older logo head.

2023 I have found 1954 built, but again anchor mount, class B.

Did Bachmann just not bother or were these rebuilt to anchor mounting later?

Any help gratefully received :)

IMG_2215.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

Sadly, and in common with the majority of RTR tank wagons, I strongly suspect that these are 'approximations'.

Frankly, ANY RTR depiction of a PO wagon livery should be treated as highly suspect.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, mikesndbs said:

Thanks John, I accept that so far, but I have found an example of the real thing for almost every model, they generally get the mounting wrong, going for cradle all the time but otherwise specific numbers etc can be found

A model is either prototypically correct, or it isn't.

Adapting a prototypical livery and number from a photo, and applying it to a model which has major or minor differences from the prototype, does not produce an accurate model.

It really is academic which prototype wagon a model nearly represents - it's still inaccurate.

Why not ask Bachmann which photo they used as a basis for the model?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

The liveries depicted on the tank wagons look to be pretty good reproductions of the post 1959 National Benzole Class A and Class B ones. There are images of both liveries in the revised edition of Tourret's Petroleum Rail Tank Wagons of Great Britain.

Any inacuracies with these models lie in the tank wagon itself not the livery. The Bachmann cradle mounted tank wagons are pretty clunky and have a tank diameter and pitch that doesn't match anything I've come across. National Benzole 734 was an ex Air Ministry 14T Class A saddle mounted wagon (much bigger tank to begin with and welded to, picture in the above book) and 2023 was a 14T Class B Anchor Mount (search the Colour Rail website and loco number 82006 for an image of one this batch at Aberystwyth).

Justin

• Friendly/supportive 1