Locations where the SR and WR/GWR met?

TomJ

1 hour ago, Pacific231G said:

Why would the good citizens of Henley have wanted to go to Reading;  especially the sort of citizens the snobbish GWR wanted to attract? Surely the main passenger purpose of branches in the home counties was to convey the gentry to and from the capital. In the case of Henley it was also to transport people from London to the Regatta, hence its three platforms. When constructing imaginary histories one really should take account of such things :nono:

Not quite so imaginary....

A direct line would have avoided the convoluted runround arrangement at Twyford.

srm-crimson.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Not quite so imaginary....

A direct line would have avoided the convoluted runround arrangement at Twyford.

Oops. That post was meant to be (and now is) a lot more tongue in cheek, though not a million miles I suspect from how  the GWR saw its world. Unfortunately the thing froze, I thought before I'd sent it.

So, the choice is either to follow the Thames,or at least its valley, in a rather curved but fairly easy and generally south west direction down to Reading (so through trains will probably  have to reverse) or to simply draw a straight line from Henley to the nearest point on the main line. What do you do? (and remember thst you ARE the Great Western Railway)

I'm rather intrigued by GW trains at Southampton Terminus. Were there many of them? I used to park my car on what was left of its platforms when I worked in South Western House (the former South Western Hotel) but always assumed I was very firmly in pure Southern/LSWR country

Edited by Pacific231G

Bradshaw 1910 shows eight trains each day in each direction via the DN&S, and there were some through trains from the M&SWJ, which became GWR after 1923 IIRC. 

This thread is a near photocopy of another one, and I'm pretty sure we went into depth about DN&S workings, and that someone posted a 1930s photo of a GWR train from the M&SWJ in that thread.

• Agree 1

Bradshaw 1910 shows eight trains each day in each direction via the DN&S, and there were through trains from the M&SWJ (six in each direction, by my reading), including an "Ocean Boat Express" from Cheltenham. The MSWJ which became GWR after 1923, although the GWR downgraded the service. Ex-GWR locos worked to Southampton via both routes under BR, too.

Nice picture of LSWR and GWR locos together at Southampton Terminus http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/s/southampton_terminus/index13.shtml

This thread is a near photocopy of another one, and I'm pretty sure we went into depth about DN&S workings, and that someone posted a link to a 1930s photo of a GWR train from the M&SWJ in that thread.

As an incidental, the article in The Engineer about the MSWJ's new 0-6-0 tender engines in 1900 says that they were used  for 'fast' passenger work, as well as goods, including hauling the Express from Cheltenham to Southampton. 5'2" diameter wheels imply that this Express was pretty pedestrian!

W

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Such 'goods' 0-6-0s were effectively the mixed traffic locos of their day, commonly working passenger traffic.  Speeds of 50mph or even higher would have been attainable, which I would have thought was more than sufficient for most purposes on the M&SWJ; 'pedestrian' may be a little unfair!

On 15/02/2019 at 22:08, Pacific231G said:

I'm rather intrigued by GW trains at Southampton Terminus. Were there many of them? I used to park my car on what was left of its platforms when I worked in South Western House (the former South Western Hotel) but always assumed I was very firmly in pure Southern/LSWR country

IIRC the original box artwork for the Airfix City of Truro was a picture of Southampton Terminus, although presumably this would have been during the loco's 1950s revival rather than pure GWR days.

• Agree 1