Class 92, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

From this we can suggest, moving an old tolling to China put inflation back at least 20 years on the RRP, briefly, for between 1990’s.(actually 2007 and 2014) , but there in it has crept up 100-300% in 8 years depending on pov…. and thats an “old” tooling…

Oh the stories I could tell.....

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

You just have to look at the latest models,they are just that,an aifix kit assembled and painted at the factory,The skill and eyesight to build them is a credit to the team who are doing it,once you have the skilled workforce its keeping them together and sane i guess.

Skill is not tought but aquired over years of working,only the theory of it can be tought.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

You just have to look at the latest models,they are just that,an aifix kit assembled and painted at the factory,The skill and eyesight to build them is a credit to the team who are doing it,once you have the skilled workforce its keeping them together and sane i guess.

Skill is not tought but aquired over years of working,only the theory of it can be tought.

That's exactly my point.

Also look at how long these models are taking to get made, they aren't in manufacture for a week and then on the boat.

Obviously one loco doesn't have weeks worth of labour in it, but the processes and the amount of locos in question is taking a lot of hours in my opinion.

• Agree 2

• Accurascale staff
15 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

That's exactly my point.

Also look at how long these models are taking to get made, they aren't in manufacture for a week and then on the boat.

Obviously one loco doesn't have weeks worth of labour in it, but the processes and the amount of locos in question is taking a lot of hours in my opinion.

To provide a ball park, a 110 person strong assembly team can put together almost 3500 locos per month, not factoring the painting the printing, which are other teams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

2 minutes ago, McC said:

To provide a ball park, a 110 person strong assembly team can put together almost 3500 locos per month, not factoring the painting the printing, which are other teams.

So they're building them in 5 minutes then 🤣

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Not sure how your point in anyway contradicts the issue that a Limby 66 has zero fitted parts on the body vs paying somebody to fit quite a lot of them such as on the Hattons 66?

I don't think they could take the labour out of a job if it is a manual job just because you are making more, at least not to a significant level.

I agree with what you had said about components but the things don't build themselves.

There must be demand for and/or good margin in RR ones or Hornby wouldn't spend their time with it.

Tom, I am not going to write an economics essay on the model railway industry.  All I will say is that costs have a very proteous nature.

Bottom line is, we get great models, at a reasonable cost... your onto a winner!

Now shall we talk about Class 92's?  Wonder what liveries the Accurafolk drivers will be wearing.....

• Funny 1

45 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Tom, I am not going to write an economics essay on the model railway industry.  All I will say is that costs have a very proteous nature.

Maybe not. So why even argue with me to begin with then if you're not going to say anything that actually comes up with a reasonable counter to what I said? Time, even in China, needs to be paid for, and McCs figures he just posted are around where I was thinking they would be once I have done some speculative maths on it.

45 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Bottom line is, we get great models, at a reasonable cost... your onto a winner!

I agree, and AS do this. But Hornby's 92 is about half the price, and they still make money (or they wouldn't bother). Part of this is I expect is because the tooling owes them nothing, part I think is down to the fact it will take a fraction of the time to make. Nope, I aren't that market, but somebody must be.

Anyway, I think you're right that we should just leave it at that.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

I actually did, over 300 pages…

my dissertation back in the 1990s was actually about the economy of UK model railways in the 1990’s.
Several manufacturers of the day assisted me with placements etc, inc assembly line work and I still have the end to end costs from granules in the hopper to bagging the end product, though admittedly I chose a different career at the time, but the model railway industry got me a business degree.

slightly off tangent but I Read in WoR this month the interview with Dennis Lovett this month 

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/wor-interviews-dennis-lovett

I have to completely agree with his last paragraph ..

We now have more models available than ever before, albeit on a batch production system. My one worry is that there is so much being announced that we have perhaps too much choice today. While many of us have a yearning for steam or early diesel/electric operations, readers will be inspired by what is running out there on the big railway today. The realisation for me is that many of the trains I helped launch are now heading for the scrap yard 

The question is, how to make it, profitably and affordable for that audience….

of course that neatly brings us back to this topic and thread… as class 92’s is exactly  what’s the recent diversion of the thread was actually about

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Please don’t threaten to write your memoirs, we know where that ends…

Roy

Yeah it could get religious.......

'I was on a dark windy road, filled with clamity, incorrect livery shades and chaos, then one day out of the blue came a grey rectangle with an orange halo, which as I got nearer read Accurascale.  With the promise of Guinness in the emerald Isle itself, I watched as much Mrs Browns Boys as I dared to get the lingo, and with my trusty measuring stick my sole is currently contented'. Amen

• Funny 3

• Accurascale staff
16 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Yeah it could get religious.......

'I was on a dark windy road, filled with clamity, incorrect livery shades and chaos, then one day out of the blue came a grey rectangle with an orange halo, which as I got nearer read Accurascale.  With the promise of Guinness in the emerald Isle itself, I watched as much Mrs Browns Boys as I dared to get the lingo, and with my trusty measuring stick my sole is currently contented'. Amen

We threaten this as punishment! 

(We would like to formally apologise to the British nation for this abomination of a TV programme.)

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

(We would like to formally apologise to the British nation for this abomination of a TV programme.)

Cheers!

Fran 

The first series wasn't bad. After that... As for the film. Good grief!

Apology not accepted.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks - it's much appreciated. My father in law is a fan. I'm very fortunate in it's his only negative attribute I've discovered so far!

Edited by E100
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, TomScrut said:

So they're building them in 5 minutes then 🤣

Don't you mean 5 hours?   110 people at, say, 40 hours per week  =4400 hours per week on assembly.  Multiply by 4 to get the figure for a month = 17,600 hours to assemble 3,500 models.  Which equals 5.03 hours per model  (which would cost c.£50 at the current UK Living Wage  although no doubt less in China).

Obviously not an absolutely accurate figure because the working week will probably not be 40 hours and the length of a month won't be exactly 4 weeks in most cases.  But to that time has to be added the decoration stage - most likely with multiple passes through different machines all done by hand and it might not include manufacture of bought in components such as motors.  Plus taking parts off the moulding machines and sorting them ready for painting and assembly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

(which would cost c.£50 at the current UK Living Wage  although no doubt less in China).

That's just thinking about the cost of the person. AS won't own the factory so will pay far more than the persons pay per hour I reckon given that on top of the person there is profit, the building, equipment they are using, heating and lighting for a start.

Whenever I have encountered paying a factory to do work they give you a rate based on these factors and it ends up far greater than the cost of the person.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @The Black Prince,

There absolutely will be! Maybe we need a travelling fitter for them too to accurately represent the real world!

Cheers!

Fran

Surely you need a Loco inspector with clipboard and a disapproving look on his face?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

On the subject of Accurafolk drivers,quite a few are female driving trains now,are we going to be bang up to date with some hot totty for our cabs.

Hot totty, HOT TOTTY?

What year are you living in, we’ll have the woke police calling soon 🤣

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @The Black Prince,

There absolutely will be! Maybe we need a travelling fitter for them too to accurately represent the real world!

Cheers!

Fran

Maybe you could get Big Jim of this parish to model for you? He does drive for GBRf after all, although he may not be passed on the 92s. (And may not want to be immortalised in plastic on hundreds of layouts!)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Hot totty, HOT TOTTY?

What year are you living in, we’ll have the woke police calling soon 🤣

Are they examples of TRAINSwomen we keep hearing about in the news?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @The Black Prince,

Cheers!

Fran

I believe they had to have a travelling fitter on board when the Queen & François Mitterand opened the Chunnel, just to sit there continually pressing the reset button throughout the trip!