Class 92, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

as it will never need to actually work under its own power.  

Static model, double-header or top-n-tail?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Graham108 said:

Static model, double-header or top-n-tail?

It will end up in the display case, if I ever need it for a layout I will find a way to motorise at that point.  (Unless it’s a the gears are actually there in which case I will find a way of fitting a motor). Will look forward to investigating it when I get back from France. 

On 16/07/2024 at 19:19, The Fatadder said:

I have absolutely no need in the slightest for a class 92, however there is a price at which anything becomes tempting and for me that is about £45.

I will need to work out some way to repair a badly damaged pantograph (it's missing everything from the first joint upwards) and there may be other issues, but I should be able to do something with it.

I picked up a spare Pantograph for a project at a good price

https://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/hornby_spares/x7769_pantograph_high_speed_class_370_apt.htm

I don't know if its sprung or you just pose it up or down - but it would do for a display cabinet

Peter

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Got hold of the model today, condition is actually a bit better than I was anticipating.  Looks like just the one large box missing from the roof.  The pan included the upper arm so is just missing the head (it’s also missing the mechanism for them which isn’t an issue seeing as I would only ever have it lowered.). I think I have a plan for fixing this, drawing up a couple of replacement parts and 3d printing.

All other details appear to be present (including the full set of bufferbeam pipes. 

IMG_1352.jpeg

moving to the chassis I wasn’t expecting much, however it does appear to have more than I expected.  The bogies appear to include a full set of gears (they do).  So it’s just missing the brass worms, the drive shaft and the motor. So in theory motorising shouldn’t be that difficult.  It’s also understandably missing all the electronics so should I make it working these would need replacing with some custom boards. 
edit: checking through the bits box, I’ve found a couple of motors that would be suitable, do Accurascale sell spare parts for the worm I wonder?

The model has now been further dismantled, removing the pans, glazing, handrails and roof detail ready for a dip in some IPA.   The polo mints have also been carved off (as it will be a lot easier to fit the Shawplan ones than paint around the moulded part)

IMG_1356.jpeg.9c6661b92cf19a4d50d7e3020cf67b9b.jpeg
Despite its slight damage (and its hideous livery) it’s certainly a very pleasing model.  Looking forward to getting it back into Railfreight Distribution as 92009 and into the display case.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

IMG_1439.jpeg.e04ca03ec8620a686718323ecc7c6f62.jpeg

starting to look a little better now, the yellow warning panel’s curves were one of the most difficult masking jobs I can remember doing!  With painting the windscreen frames black not much better.

I have some Railtec transfers on order to go with the Shawplan etches for the names/ polos/ depot plaques etc, which will complete the livery so I  just need to sort out a pan head and find a source for a couple of worm gears and it will be sorted.

Still completely useless for the layout, but does at least mean I have something electric to have on display when I am demonstrating on the DEMU stand at shows.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hoping for a bit of luck, I’m struggling to find a source of the smaller Crew Eagle depot plaques fitted to the 92.  The old Shawplan ones I have are too big.  I was hoping someone may have done a renumber job on an AS model to a loco without plaques who would have a spare set they could sell me. 

• Accurascale staff
11 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Hoping for a bit of luck, I’m struggling to find a source of the smaller Crew Eagle depot plaques fitted to the 92.  The old Shawplan ones I have are too big.  I was hoping someone may have done a renumber job on an AS model to a loco without plaques who would have a spare set they could sell me. 

Hi Rich,

We could have a look in our spares boxes for you if you wish?

Cheers!

Fran 

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rich,

We could have a look in our spares boxes for you if you wish?

Cheers!

Fran 

Hi Fran

That would be most appreciated, if there is a worm gear assembly kicking around in the spares box that I could buy that would really help me get it working. 

• Accurascale staff
12 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Hi Fran

That would be most appreciated, if there is a worm gear assembly kicking around in the spares box that I could buy that would really help me get it working. 

Hi Rich,

No problem. If you want to go through the parts you need and DM me a list we can have a look at what we have got to get you going.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

IMG_1439.jpeg.e04ca03ec8620a686718323ecc7c6f62.jpeg

starting to look a little better now, the yellow warning panel’s curves were one of the most difficult masking jobs I can remember doing!  With painting the windscreen frames black not much better.

I have some Railtec transfers on order to go with the Shawplan etches for the names/ polos/ depot plaques etc, which will complete the livery so I  just need to sort out a pan head and find a source for a couple of worm gears and it will be sorted.

Still completely useless for the layout, but does at least mean I have something electric to have on display when I am demonstrating on the DEMU stand at shows.

Nice one Rich. That extra bit of black under the windows makes quite a difference 

Jo

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Accurascale staff
1 hour ago, Ravel said:

Is there anything in the pipeline with regards to a rerun? 

Some of the earlier liveries are fetching eye watering money on the Bay. 

Watch this space :) 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

IMG_1509.jpeg.a6ffd9a1db2efd592d1d451367f71227.jpeg

I’m on the home stretch now, with a few minor paint fixes still to go along with the etched plates and of course the small task of making an unpowered paint sample work.   Very enjoyable project, and a really nice looking loco at the end of it. 

• Like 6

A quick shout out to Simon Howard and the wonderful sales support team at Accurascale. For reasons too boring to go into and totally outside Accurascale's responsibility, I had a Class 92 missing the plastic sleeve to the clamshell packing . I know that if this had been any of the mainstream manufacturers there would have been no point in seeing if they could supply one - they're just not set up logistically or organisationally to deal with that sort of petty issue. Accurascale though - no problem! Prompt response, replacement located, a very reasonable invoice issued and the loco now has the sleeve. Absolutely top-notch service and aftersales care!

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Beware of the claimed easy access to the cab as shown in step 7. The only way I could get mine out was to break off the light bar housing and glue it back on afterwards.

Also if you're fitting the blinds I'd use some black insulation tape, don't bother gluing them.

2 hours ago, scissors said:

Beware of the claimed easy access to the cab as shown in step 7. The only way I could get mine out was to break off the light bar housing and glue it back on afterwards.

Also if you're fitting the blinds I'd use some black insulation tape, don't bother gluing them.

if i have to break something i leave crews out