Class 92, By Accurascale

38 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Was more it had both the popular GBRF together on a sleeper,to do 16 you need a big loft and a lot of luck when they come as they all sold out a while back.

Yes although 92032 is now in a slightly different livery to the model.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The London portions use 3 class 92’s..

loco 1.. The ECS from Wembley brings in the Highlander

Loco 2.. a LE follows which couples on, and takes the Highlander to Edinburgh.

Loco 3.. A second ECS brings in the Lowlander

Loco 1.. The released 92 from the Highlander ECS then runs over to front the Lowlander all the way to Glasgow.

Loco 3 goes LE to wembley (occasionally stables overnight at Euston p16/7 centre road).

At Glasgow..

A 92 brings in the lowlander ECS, and a 2nd 92 on the rear, is used to take that portion all the way to London.

Each night uses 6 class 92’s, a 7th is often stabled in Edinburgh.

Normally, Drivers go as far as Preston, switch trains to return home on the opposite direction.

if a CS92 gets poorly, another loco can be put on the front, but as the cs92’s have unique couplings, the dead loco has to stay on and act as a translator (as was seen above this week with 92032/92020).

pre mk5’s… (c2017-2019)

47727 used to do the Glasgow ECS

86401/86101 or 87002 used to do ECS moves to/from Wembley, occasionally one of them did runs to Glasgow, and did ECS there when 47727 wasnt available.

it was also common to see an rfd 90 sub for a 92.

There was a difficult period as the ETS set up between mk3 and mk5 were rated differently, so once a 92 was configured for mk5 sleepers, it couldnt operate mk3’s and vv… so a lot of rfd 90’s showed for a period. 

The ultimate culmination was May 2019, when diverts to Kings Cross were required, and as KX couldnt take 16, shortened trains were formed with an extra 3rd south bound run, just to add to it, two were mk5’s, one was mk3’s… so 6 locos were needed in KX extract them back to Wembley… just to help matters the first LE in to recover set 1 was a faulty Dellner on the 92 for mk5’s and it all went down hill from there.

odd watching this video thinking 3/4 of whats on the video, 4 hours one morning at KX (67/87/90/91/92/180/HST/313/365) most has simply vanished from KX in just 3 years. Its the last time I recalled unfixed formation LHCS (requiring LE relief) in KX on scheduled services.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yes although 92032 is now in a slightly different livery to the model.

And not fitted with Dellners for mk5 ops.

thats 92006/10/14/18/23/33/38 = 7 in CS

92020 / 28 / 43 in GBRF.

not sure why there isnt a class 92/1 (or 92/4 sub fleet), but subfleets have been created for way less reasons.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Eagle eyed may spot that Highlander adds up to 18, though in reality its only 16, reflecting seasonal variation in the sets.

It's important to note that the Fort William club car and seated coaches are added to the northbound / removed from the southbound at Edinburgh. Hence it's 18 coaches. It doesn't travel throughout as 18 due to restrictions on platform lengths at Euston and some intermediate stops.

There is seasonal variation in the number of sleepers added to each of the 3 portions.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, McC said:

As per the spec the destinations on all the mk5’s are user changeable. Like Deltic, etc, the packs include a sheet of destinations so you can configure them as you wish. 

Is this also true for the coach designations?

2 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

Thanks for all the info - what loco's are used from Edinburgh Northwards?

when I was on the sleeper to fort William last year, we had a class 66/73 combo from Edinburgh onwards

D5041172-A206-47BE-A043-3D14F7267622.jpeg

19B2FFD5-D845-4EE1-98AC-B918A09E9481.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

They even give it a wash and polish it seems,its even a Hattons one 66740 is Sarah if im not mistaken.

But it needs the relatively light weight barrier / generator van behind it (aka 73/9).

ive wondered why they havent fitted Dellners to some of the 73/9’s at Tonbridge, rather than taking 66’s out of the freight pool for this work.. the 73/9’s down here spend all summer soaking up the sun waiting for winter and rhtt trains.

Arent the ex-Colas 67’s doing this now ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

You young sir are far more knowledgeable than i am on such matters,thanks for the info

Thanks.

A quick look shows 67023 + 73/9 on the Inverness -Edinburgh portions currently. (Though not this week due to strikes). Aberdeen was pairs of 73/9 and FW was a 66+73/9 combo.

73/9 is the gap in our collections of Caledonian Sleeper… (and RHTT in the south too…. Hint hint).

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Was the 66 on straight or an incline?  I have had a 66 pull 12 HYAs up my rather steep incline.  If 1 HYA is coupled to 9 PFAs on the gradient it will sometimes just overcome the friction in the HYA.  The Class 66 haulage capability is phenomenological - be interested to see how the 92 performs. 

I ran the class 92 with 36 coaches and it had no issues whatsoever! Instead 1 coach refused to stay on the tracks so I had to remove it and the train ran around trouble free as 35, up slight gradients & around curves. These coaches are not free running either as many of them if pushed stop quite quickly! When I get time I'll try some different coaches with the freest runners at the back to see how far I can get. Maybe a tug of war is needed?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Thanks.

A quick look shows 67023 + 73/9 on the Inverness -Edinburgh portions currently. (Though not this week due to strikes). Aberdeen was pairs of 73/9 and FW was a 66+73/9 combo.

73/9 is the gap in our collections of Caledonian Sleeper… (and RHTT in the south too…. Hint hint).

Is that because being a Bo Bo the 67 has a larger axle weight and not allowed on the West Highland Line - meaning they have to use a 66?

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Legend said:

Is that because being a Bo Bo the 67 has a larger axle weight and not allowed on the West Highland Line - meaning they have to use a 66?

No. 67's regularly went to Fort William on the mark 3 stock before the 73/9's took over. There's not a lot which can't go down the route e.g. 47's / 57's have been spotted along with HST's. Often more of clearance than weight restriction.

I suspect they use the same pool of 66's that do the Alcan traffic to Fort William, as they will both have the staff and the RTEB equipment to do so relatively easily.

I don't how long term the 66 + 73/9 is on the West Highland route but almost everytime I've seen the sleeper that's been the formation over the past year. Any other time it's been 2x 73/9's. Either way, we really do need KMS or someone else to step up to the 73/9 plate and get it done properly.

Happy to be corrected but I don't think a single 73/9 can haul 4 mk5's and provide sufficient hotel power at the same time over that route satisfactorily.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/12/2022 at 21:13, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Mitche01,

They don’t. They clip in place and are sprung so they are posable.

Cheers!

Fran

Well bit the bullet and bought 2 - one from yourselves direct (Charles Dickens) and the other from Rails as you didn't have any DCC ready ones left on Beethoven.

LOVE the model, Well done!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, E100 said:

No. 67's regularly went to Fort William on the mark 3 stock before the 73/9's took over. There's not a lot which can't go down the route e.g. 47's / 57's have been spotted along with HST's. Often more of clearance than weight restriction.

I suspect they use the same pool of 66's that do the Alcan traffic to Fort William, as they will both have the staff and the RTEB equipment to do so relatively easily.

I don't how long term the 66 + 73/9 is on the West Highland route but almost everytime I've seen the sleeper that's been the formation over the past year. Any other time it's been 2x 73/9's. Either way, we really do need KMS or someone else to step up to the 73/9 plate and get it done properly.

Happy to be corrected but I don't think a single 73/9 can haul 4 mk5's and provide sufficient hotel power at the same time over that route satisfactorily.

It maybe down to the route

73969 solo did an Enid Blyton last week*….

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C57461/2022-12-28/detailed#allox_id=0

* Five goto Aberdeen

For full detail, 28th December 1S25 Highlander consisted of

92010 ecs 5S25, then 1S26, with 92028 northbound on 1S25.

Aberdeen (5) was 73969

Fort William (3 +2) 66303 + 73966

Inverness (8)  67023 + 73970

1 train, 7 locos to operate it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

But it needs the relatively light weight barrier / generator van behind it (aka 73/9).

ive wondered why they havent fitted Dellners to some of the 73/9’s at Tonbridge, rather than taking 66’s out of the freight pool for this work.. the 73/9’s down here spend all summer soaking up the sun waiting for winter and rhtt trains.

Arent the ex-Colas 67’s doing this now ?

I’d imagine the reliability of them is a reason. They operate a vast amount of the Test trains on Wessex, let’s just say, the amount of successful recording is, shall we say, lacking………..

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

GBRF only have 2 class 67s (the ex-Colas ones) and one of them isn’t very well.

I don’t think the 73/9s have a problem hauling the 4 or 5 coach sets but in winter & poor rail conditions, GBRF seem to like adding a second loco

Pseudo related… but on a Sleeper south from Inverness I was soundly asleep and woke to us proper motoring along.

I thought it must be somewhere heading south on the WCML given the racing past the window, so I couldnt resist a sly look out of the window… we were motoring along between Polmont and Haymarket.. 66+73 has a very good turn of acceleration…arrived early.

in this instance it was all going so well until Edinburgh, and when 92010 joined us, we ended up 120 late.

Edited by adb968008

1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

GBRF only have 2 class 67s (the ex-Colas ones) and one of them isn’t very well.

I don’t think the 73/9s have a problem hauling the 4 or 5 coach sets but in winter & poor rail conditions, GBRF seem to like adding a second loco

They do indeed, 027 is currently in Eastleigh (and not in Calsey sleeper but GBRf livery) , while the other, 023 and still in Colas, is currently piloting on the sleeper between Edinburgh and Inverness again. 

6 hours ago, E100 said:

They can work solo and have done on some fairly recent occasions, however GBRf prefers to operate them double headed on the main routes as it puts less strain on the locos (I believe the alternator has been one area of concern on the 73/9s unfortunately) as well as for performance reasons. Regarding the 67s, there were some restrictions on them on the Fort William route due to their heavy axle loading - the dedicated sleeper locos received cast steel brake blocks (amongst a few other modifications) which limited their top speed to 80MPH - a 73/9 has the advantage here being Max Speed 90. 

I do agree though, with Accura doing the stunning class 92 in CS Midnight Teal, and Mk5s following, can someone please tool up a 73/9 pretty please!   

Edited by surfsup
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, surfsup said:

They can work solo and have done on some fairly recent occasions, however GBRf prefers to operate them double headed on the main routes as it puts less strain on the locos (I believe the alternator has been one area of concern on the 73/9s unfortunately) as well as for performance reasons. Regarding the 67s, there were some restrictions on them on the Fort William route due to their heavy axle loading - the dedicated sleeper locos received cast steel brake blocks (amongst a few other modifications) which limited their top speed to 80MPH - a 73/9 has the advantage here being Max Speed 90. 

I do agree though, with Accura doing the stunning class 92 in CS Midnight Teal, and Mk5s following, can someone please tool up a 73/9 pretty please!   

Apparently KMS are still doing one but it seems to be taking quite some time for it to get to market. Spoke with them at Model Rail Scotland 2022 and Warley, along with direct on facebook as they were planning to announce back in Feb but still nothing of note but assured me with confidence it will be going ahead. For my money it's actually worth it coming to market as a non-exclusive as I think the demand will very strong if the detail and quality are high.

Yes, I think you're right with regards the alternator being an issue - I seem to recall this on the Railforums sleeper thread a few years back.

That's very interesting with the 67's on the WHL being specially modified. 

• Agree 1

• Accurascale staff
34 minutes ago, scumcat said:

Sorry for putting this on an open forum but I wanted to see what I should be expecting before I contact accurascale. I have 92010 sound fitted. When running I am seeing no benefit from the internal power pack even without the sound on if I lift her from the track whilst running everything shuts off immediately even the lights, am I expecting too much,?

Hi @scumcat,

It could be a variety of factors. Could you contact us direct via the website with your order number and details of the controller we use and our engineer will help you out?

30 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Re the Bart 92, they're currently in our warehouse awaiting further instruction from KMRC.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1