Class 92, By Accurascale

30 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've found that it's posable or rotatable to a degree so you can get the alignment with the knitting or sitting flat whilst down but the translation from one position to another is a manual task.

Not of much use either if like on my layout you have OHLE that prototypicaly changes height to negotiate bridges. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Carl BR said:

Not of much use either if like on my layout you have OHLE that prototypicaly changes height to negotiate bridges.

The positive there is that it's very lightly sprung so it can easily adjust whilst maintaining overhead contact but how much the head angle changes obviously depends on how much the height changes by.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A truly Dickensian Christmas then….but definitely no turkey this. The loco is aptly named because Dickens was a pioneer of cross Channel travel by train and ferry. He was a passenger on a train involved in a major fatal derailment in Kent whilst returning from Paris after a visit ( it is assumed) to see his extra marital friend ,the actress Ellen Ternan. He apparently gave assistance to the injured but didn’t give his name.Wonder why ?

Fast forward over a century and we now have a somewhat smoother and faster experience  of rail travel and the Tunnel for our Class 92. This model…once again… raises the bar in quality and fidelity . Now where did I store those Cargowaggons ?  Bravo Accurascale. 

Edited by Ian Hargrave
text
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Carl BR said:

I'm sure you have experienced / had a near miss of a tangled pantograph too, I'd rather a mil or two lower than having to 'untangle the knitting'

• Like 1

On 17/12/2022 at 18:29, Shaun66 said:

Tested my Class 92 out and one of the pantographs seems to have an issue fully raising. I’ve email the guys at Accurascale just waiting for a response, just wanted to see if anyone else has had an issue. Also need to reattach a grill that came off somehow as well. 

Good news, the issue has been solved after a few emails with one of the guys. The CV settings where set correctly but that didn’t help so had a play around with them and had to set one CV to a much lower value than it should have but now means the pantograph raises fully now. They suspect the pantograph was set up correctly in the factory. But as always great help from Accurascale as usual. 

• Thanks 2

On 19/12/2022 at 16:31, HExpressD said:

As I am led to understand, however may be wrong, the trailing pantograph tended to be used due to the ways the arms folded. Should there be some sort of issue and the pantograph were to strike something the trailing one would just fall to the loco roof, whereas the leading one, again due to the way the arm folds, could get caught up on something such as catenary and cause damage to it or the loco.

I think it is up to the driver as to which pantograph is used - I know with the Pendolinos they used the front pantograph at first and later changed to the rear.

Usually when the pantograph strikes something the OHLE is also damaged so having a working pantograph would not make a difference.

DSCF2255.JPG.c5527e529aad4e48f94bb6e70d392f3b.JPG

IMG_6893.JPG.aa9892de79306c41d9282b3d75a15f39.JPG

DXHQFatW4AE4Skl?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

22 minutes ago, Peter749 said:

I think it is up to the driver as to which pantograph is used - I know with the Pendolinos they used the front pantograph at first and later changed to the rear.

Usually when the pantograph strikes something the OHLE is also damaged so having a working pantograph would not make a difference.

What kind of locomotive is the red one? Very nice photo.

5 hours ago, McC said:

The head is a push-fit / clip on part, so no need for the glue

Eh not quite. Looks like a plastic rod that has either lost glue or physically sheared from its molded counterpart image.png.41c477682f527857759eefdf7e8e9342.png#

Basically means that one side is slightly loose. But not that much of a bother, can just glue it back

Edited by Delta_Who

34 minutes ago, d46037 said:

Red loco could be an ex danish railways EA ,DBAG have acquired some and use them in other countries with 25kv electrification for example Bulgaria.

Interesting. I am surprised no European manufacturer such as Roco have made more Britain engines serving on the continent. I know Roco made the Class 08 and Fleischmann had a crack at one. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, wairoa said:

Interesting. I am surprised no European manufacturer such as Roco have made more Britain engines serving on the continent. I know Roco made the Class 08 and Fleischmann had a crack at one. 

Class 66 has been done at least 4 times… Heljan, Trix, Mehano and ESU.

between them, none have made a true British liveried one.

S160 was recently done, Hornby did the s100.

I’d imagine a HO 92 would be on the cards at some point, Eastern Europe is the latest growing market, and its hugely popular. Rumour has it some PKP steam announcements are due in 2 weeks.

Theres plenty more choice to go at yet first in Eastern Europe, but the 92 is widely travelled.

European HO is too obsessed with Vectron currently, Roco, Trix, LSModels, Piko, Jagendorfer have all produced dozens of liveries each in just a couple of years. Its amazing theres so much demand for it… i kid you not Modelbahnshoplippe has nearly 100 different livery/number variants in stock.. in DC alone !!!

I note Hornbys Romanian class 92 doesnt look to have sold well, nor the Hungarian 56 they seem to be in discount bins, though I have seen pictures of them on HO layouts.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

My first three (of five) have turned up with all the parts in place and looking good.  Very pleased.  So less there be any doubts i'm an Accurafan.   The EWS livery caught my eye when assembled alongside its cousins.  Definitely a lighter hue.  Is this like Network Rail yellow where there are 'natural' shade variations?  (Genuine question)

IMG_20221220_220932307.jpg

IMG_20221220_220750355.jpg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

My first three (of five) have turned up with all the parts in place and looking good.  Very pleased.  So less there be any doubts i'm an Accurafan.   The EWS livery caught my eye when assembled alongside its cousins.  Definitely a lighter hue.  Is this like Network Rail yellow where there are 'natural' shade variations?  (Genuine question)

My EWS 92 will arrive in due course, really looking forward to getting it!

In my experience, every manufacturer have their own idea of EWS maroon, from Lima's almost brown version to the three you have pictured. I suppose, looking at photos depends on many factors, like light and condition of the paintwork(dirty/clean, Fresh/aged). On models Ive found a big difference depending if the model is in gloss, satin or matt varnish too.

Edited by CazRail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Peter749 said:

I think it is up to the driver as to which pantograph is used - I know with the Pendolinos they used the front pantograph at first and later changed to rear

Hi,

I believe the change in Pantograph usage on the Pendolinos was a change in policy by Virgin (and carried on by Avanti).

So I suspect that the choice of Pan is down to the FOC policy and is also dependent on if stuff is running in multiple (I would assume that 92s running in multiple, rare I know, would use the ‘outer’ pans to keep the pan separation as high as possible).

Anyway, any word on retailers stock of the ‘standard’ models, is it just in the hands if the delivery guys and girls now?

Simon

10 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

So working dash boards and holographic crew are next and we could have moving people in the coaches,stop messing about then you techy lot at Accurascale,anythings possible if you try........

Smoking in toilets will be the craze for the 442........

To be honest, I think its good to explore technology where you can to enhance models, but I don't think things are needed just for the sake - adds to production costs, something else to go wrong and too much can detract and other complicate things. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

I believe the change in Pantograph usage on the Pendolinos was a change in policy by Virgin (and carried on by Avanti).

So I suspect that the choice of Pan is down to the FOC policy and is also dependent on if stuff is running in multiple (I would assume that 92s running in multiple, rare I know, would use the ‘outer’ pans to keep the pan separation as high as possible).

Anyway, any word on retailers stock of the ‘standard’ models, is it just in the hands if the delivery guys and girls now?

Simon

According to Fran, retailers who asked  know.......Ask Chris nicely, bribe with a pasty, get him drunk - one way or another ye should be able to find out. At least you have the 'Stobart' samples to drool over, even though the real thing is in store at Crewe... 

1 hour ago, Ouroborus said:

I can't answer which, if any, is more correct. However, my limited experience of matching the EWS paint colour comes from reshaping the cab roofs on a Heljan class 33/0 and repainting them with EWS maroon (from a brand I cannot recall right now - I'll edit that in later). The repainted areas were a tad lighter than the shade Heljan used, but I disguised that with a little weathering. The photo shows it pre-weathering.

P_20181227_114837_vHDR_On.jpg.84c4af29afbc6b4c6e2aa42f894e8843.jpg

The other example was renumbering a weathered Bachmann class 66, where the transfers came out a lighter colour than Bachmann's choice of EWS red.

The upshot is that the only way to be sure is to compare the models against the real things (if any survive in EWS livery), otherwise accept that the locomotives represent slightly different phases of weathering and fading of their paintwork.

6 hours ago, Peter749 said:

Where there is only one pantograph, there is no choice (obviously), but my observations where there is choice suggests that British operators seem to prefer the pantograph "elbow" leading, although that's not a hard and fast rule. I was interested when observing Danish and Swedish practice, where they seem to prefer the "elbow" trailing, as in your photos of the 92s above.

Well then, I got home from an 11 hour shift yesterday evening to find a rather meaty parcel waiting for me... Inside was 92036 Bertolt Brecht with DCC sound. I've not got a layout (yet) to properly run anything but I have a few sections of track with a Bachmann Dynamis, so with that being the case out came the loco & I thought I'd write my review here. 

To begin with, the packaging as we've come to expect with the Deltic & all Accurascale products is top notch. The loco was well protected & there was no loose detailing anywhere in the plastic. On removing the loco it immediately wowed me! The finish, the detailing & everything else is absolutely stunning! The papers included in the box answer every single question you could ever have & all are superbly presented. 

Oggle over it was time to hit the track... Wow again! As soon as I entered address 3 & turned on the headlights I was stunned. The lights both outside & inside are absolutely incredible & with the cab light on the interior blew my mind. 

Deep breath & F1 is pressed, you hear the loco slowly come to life before the pantograph almost silently raises.. Quick toot on the 2 tone horns & a couple of notches applied. The sound as the loco pulled away took me to standing right next to one in real life.. Simply incredible! 

Then a little tinker around with functions up to F20 which is as far as a Dynamis can go & everything operates exactly as it should. I began to have a play with F12 (Dynamic brake) to get that distinctive roar, this was achievable but I'm not quite sure what you need to do to make it sound everytime your coming to halt.. Something I will learn in time. 

Final thoughts, having been let down by DJM & losing the deposit I'd laid for 2 examples, on running this one all that sorrow blew away. This is quite simply.. Art! Accurascale have absolutely knocked this out of the park. Every new model that's released always has that 'it's great but I wish this happened or you could do that with it' but this model is perfection! I truly don't think there's a thing that can be done to improve absolutely any aspect. 

Just leaves me to say, well done to all the team at Accurascale, this is simply the greatest 00 gauge model I've ever bought & you should all be incredibly proud of what you've achieved. More AC electric locos in the future (beside the 89 of course) would be most welcome. 

Thank you so so much Accurascale, for bringing this magic to the masses. Attached is a picture of 92036 with the famous Carry On Clagging headboard adorning the lamp iron. 

20221220_221452.JPG

Edited by vanbasher
typo
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well, it’s a happy Christmas in Western Australia (even if 003 is still MIA, they got posted at the same time etc right up until Auspost got them) safe and sound in perfect condition……just need the opportunity to test it now

6C383223-591B-42A8-868A-E8B50518DF9D.jpeg.f76ec464f695f89f3151e22e4650d7fa.jpeg

the first 92 on Hither Green, however there is a gauge and scale issue. Please don’t (ahem) upscale them to 7mm

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Could be weathering, but there are a few different shades of EWS out there. I remember seeing a video of 92001 hauling an EWS 66, and the colour offset was very noticable.

You can even see it here with the 67 off to the right

image.png.ac13378a10770f9597bdfd4c3b8d53e2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Class 66 has been done at least 4 times… Heljan, Trix, Mehano and ESU.

between them, none have made a true British liveried one.

S160 was recently done, Hornby did the s100.

I’d imagine a HO 92 would be on the cards at some point, Eastern Europe is the latest growing market, and its hugely popular. Rumour has it some PKP steam announcements are due in 2 weeks.

Theres plenty more choice to go at yet first in Eastern Europe, but the 92 is widely travelled.

European HO is too obsessed with Vectron currently, Roco, Trix, LSModels, Piko, Jagendorfer have all produced dozens of liveries each in just a couple of years. Its amazing theres so much demand for it… i kid you not Modelbahnshoplippe has nearly 100 different livery/number variants in stock.. in DC alone !!!

I note Hornbys Romanian class 92 doesnt look to have sold well, nor the Hungarian 56 they seem to be in discount bins, though I have seen pictures of them on HO layouts.

Very interesting. I do have a Trix Class 66 in HO along with 3 OO versions from Lima and Hattons.  I will continue to watch over the next few years.

I had no idea the Vectron was so popular.