Class 92, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

Wonder if they'll name one Accurascale UK - or similar

If Prince Charles has a model railway or an interest in who knows,could be a Fran Burke or Stephen McCarron on the WCML,and before we get the smart arse i mean on the loco nameplate,not tied to the track.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

So they should be, given how often some locos get renamed.

Sticker technology has moved on, and they are more hard-wearing than in days of yore

More importantly, you are not compromising the integrity of the body by drilling holes in it. 

That said, give me a proper cast nameplate any day. 

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

More importantly, you are not compromising the integrity of the body by drilling holes in it. 

That said, give me a proper cast nameplate any day. 

Roy

I recall reading somewhere that the “Polo Mint” castings were a devil to remove. Hence some of the 92s retaining the embellishments. They do look good on them, though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

It’ll affect the resale value… Drill holes and authentic old paint stuck on the back adds to the charm when buying used nameplates. Stickers don’t really do it and how do you prove authenticity?

Resale value of what?

Given the sticker will probably be a fraction of the cost of a cast one, I don't think any of the operators will care about not being able to sell it/sell it for less.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Balgrayhill said:

Not everything is made/done with a resale value in mind

Indeed, and I would suggest that the resale value of the plate is less than the cost of any bodywork repairs needed as a result of corrosion or theft etc..

Roy

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, 97406 said:

I recall reading somewhere that the “Polo Mint” castings were a devil to remove. Hence some of the 92s retaining the embellishments. They do look good on them, though.

i believe the issue with removing them is getting to the back to repair the bodywork due to the electrical equipment cases behind, therefore it’s not worth the effort. Too much time and money

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 47606odin said:

i believe the issue with removing them is getting to the back to repair the bodywork due to the electrical equipment cases behind, therefore it’s not worth the effort. Too much time and money

Yes, it’s all coming back to me now.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 47606odin said:

The ones exported though still have all the embellishments… polo’s , double arrows and Railfreight depot plaques…

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

The ones exported though still have all the embellishments… polo’s , double arrows and Railfreight depot plaques…

I think this is one of the best examples 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/05/2022 at 10:43, Michael Hodgson said:

So they should be, given how often some locos get renamed.

Sticker technology has moved on, and they are more hard-wearing than in days of yore

Don’t look so good on the wall after being peeled off though 😆

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Don’t look so good on the wall after being peeled off though 😆

I know one loco had three nameplates made, one for each side, the other for presentation to the gentleman who named it and whose name it was.  Might cause some suggestion that one of them must be a fake if it ever comes up in a railwayana auction!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I know one loco had three nameplates made, one for each side, the other for presentation to the gentleman who named it and whose name it was.  Might cause some suggestion that one of them must be a fake if it ever comes up in a railwayana auction!

Very common practice in recent years. The extra one is of course a genuine plate, but never been on a loco so has value but not as much as the ones actually carried.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Very common practice in recent years. The extra one is of course a genuine plate, but never been on a loco so has value but not as much as the ones actually carried.

There were also “spare” cast plates made….but not so much spare as a proof casting at the time of manufacture.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That is very common, there are many cases of a nameplate being given to the person/company with a relation to the name. If I recall correctly, Shell got copies of all the 47 special "shell" names such as Pectinidae.

Roy

• Accurascale staff
11 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

Are the 92s still pencilled for Q3 ? I guess they are in production  ? 😁

To confirm though, they are in production. We did report this a number of weeks back and currently on course for Q3.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1