MIDLAND / LMS / BR '483 CLASS' 4-4-0

John Isherwood

• RMweb Premium

I acquired, some time ago, an ancient part-built Alan Gibson kit for the Midland / LMS / BR '483 Class' 4-4-0 locomotive, and would like to complete it as BR 40537 as running on the S&DJR.

The kit does not include a drawing of the prototype and I, for one, can't build a loco without a drawing of some sort.

Does anyone have a drawing of the '483 Class' and would be willing to let me have a copy - an e-mailed scan would be fine?

Thank you in anticipation.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, the 483 Class was used as the basis, with very little alteration save the driving side, driver wheel diameter and tender, for the LMS Standard 2P. It may be easier to find drawings of this class. You probably know all this anyway. There's a couple of fine photos in Essery & Jenkinson's LMS Locomotives Vol 4.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the pointers - I thought that there would be many similarities between the rebuilt 483 Class the Fowler 2P, (though I get the impression that the chimney looks taller on the 2P).

I have had an offer to provide drawings of the rebuilt 483 Class, so I'll await those.

Thanks again.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, you're right about the boiler fittings, the most standard 2Ps had reduced ones mainly to clear the Scottish area loading gauge and the 483 Class had Midland-pattern fittings of course.