Graham Farish HEA wagon chassis

bridgiesimon

have acquired some HEA wagon hopper body mouldings but do not have any chassis to go with them, wheels/couplings etc are easy to source but does anybody have any ideas about where I could get some of the chassis mouldings?

By the way, for those unsure it is for these - 
https://www.osbornsmodels.com/373-508-graham-farish-46-tonne-glw-hea-hopper-mainline-2481-p.asp

Best wishes and hopeful
Simon

I think you'd have a very hard time trying to track down some of these on their own. Farish never seem to have released wagon parts as spares. 

The chassis on the Farish HEA isn't a great moulding in the first place.

I'm not sure how much bodging would be required, and the brake lever isn't correct, but you could try the PECO 15' steel underframe? I have a feeling that the old TPM kit for these wagons used this? It is at least cheap and widely available.

Justin

2 hours ago, justin1985 said:

I think you'd have a very hard time trying to track down some of these on their own. Farish never seem to have released wagon parts as spares. 

The chassis on the Farish HEA isn't a great moulding in the first place.

I'm not sure how much bodging would be required, and the brake lever isn't correct, but you could try the PECO 15' steel underframe? I have a feeling that the old TPM kit for these wagons used this? It is at least cheap and widely available.

Justin

Yes, the TPM utilised the Peco chassis although I seem to recall there were some recommended (in the instructions) changes to undertake. IIRC the brake shoes need removing.

G

thanks guys, as I have a large rake of these already and was planning to add these to the rake I do not really want to use peco chassis.

One thought is to use the peco chassis but then to use these differently such as scrap wagons in one of the train metal trains rather than as part of the coal train.

Best wishes and thanks for the input

Simon

I think your only other option would be to try your hand at copying a chassis using resin casting. I've done this quite successfully with the "hoods" from Farish PAA wagons, which Farish haven't included in recent releases when they should have. Thats a quite simple shape though - the brake levers on a chassis might pose a problem for how you arrange a mould. 

• 2 weeks later...