LMS cantilever signal: main post?

I need to build a one doll cantilever signal with a overhang of approx.14 feet.

I have L.G. Warburton's book on LMS signalling and there are photos and drawings of cantilever signals with lattice or 15" channel main posts, but were cantilever signals ever built using  tubular steel posts?

• RMweb Gold

I need to build a one doll cantilever signal with a overhang of approx.14 feet.

I have L.G. Warburton's book on LMS signalling and there are photos and drawings of cantilever signals with lattice or 15" channel main posts, but were cantilever signals ever built using  tubular steel posts?

Yes ! - but with limited overhang (not sure of the limit) as the main stem was not as strong as say a lattice or broad flanged beam

DAS000103

Bolton Trinity Street

03/07/1981 (Wednesday)

Bolton East signal, tubular main stem and doll

43196180241_dfcce5f81e_b.jpg

DAS000103 by Dave Skipsey, on Flickr

• Like 2

Thanks Beast for the photo, that is exactly what I need to build. Scaling off the photo, assuming that is a 12" dia. post, the overhang is approx. 10 feet.

10 feet would probably be enough. I was taking the measurement from the existing signal on my layout, which is on the wrong side (ie. RH, hence the need for a cantilever) and is also positioned too far right.

• RMweb Gold

Here is a longer one to give a signal on the up main south of Harpenden - MR mainline https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/signalbox/e51ab9784

And two dolls at Bangor https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/signalbox/e52cb573c

Paul

Nice photos but they're plate and angle main stems.