The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Use of the Term "Snowflake"

Sir TophamHatt

I really don't get it.

I see it being increasingly used in the past few months but why do people use that specific word? Does it entertain the user to use it?

A snowflake is something that falls from the sky when it's snowing, isn't it?

I assume when used outside of these terms, it's meant to be offensive. So why not just say "stupid", "thick", "sensitive" or something else that says what the person actually means?

I understand the term "Snowflake generation", which is perhaps where this whole using it to describe someone who seems to be sensitive has come from, but if we're all about changing word meanings, surely I can call someone that naughty C word (which incidently I do not get offended by!) and that's okay?

It's like the term "special" rarely means what the word actually means.

Unless you're in in Asda, the word "special" is usually said in a silly tone of voice suggesting "disabled".

Therefore I struggle to find a word other than "special" that means "special", because I don't want people thinking I mean "disabled".

Maybe I am just being grumpy old man here but I really don't get it.

• Like 5

I really don't get it.I see it being increasingly used in the past few months but why do people use that specific word? Does it entertain the user to use it?A snowflake is something that falls from the sky when it's snowing, isn't it?I assume when used outside of these terms, it's meant to be offensive. So why not just say "stupid", "thick", "sensitive" or something else that says what the person actually means?I understand the term "Snowflake generation", which is perhaps where this whole using it to describe someone who seems to be sensitive has come from, but if we're all about changing word meanings, surely I can call someone that naughty C word (which incidently I do not get offended by!) and that's okay?It's like the term "special" rarely means what the word actually means.Unless you're in in Asda, the word "special" is usually said in a silly tone of voice suggesting "disabled".Therefore I struggle to find a word other than "special" that means "special", because I don't want people thinking I mean "disabled".Maybe I am just being grumpy old man here but I really don't get it.

A snowflake lacks the resilience to survive in anything less than a perfect environment........

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Not sure it had origins in Fight Club. Considering that film is now 20 years old (wow), and it's only a term which gained popularity in the last 5 years I definitely dispute that!

It's just "banter" innit mate. It's a way of insulting someone without actually saying anything directly rude, the person taking offence is then proven to be a snowflake, because of their offense. It's just epic bantz. Lol. Or something.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not a word I use except in its literal sense, but I think the "Fight Club" origin is probably correct.

There's often a long lag between expressions coming into usage and that usage becoming sufficiently widespread to be noticed by the mainstream population and/or tabloid press.

As for the "uniqueness" implied by the use of the word; we are each of us unique (and "special" in one way or another), but that doesn't (IMHO) bestow an entitlement to be treated or spoken to differently from anyone else unless we have physical or psychological needs that make such adjustments necessary/desirable.

Just having a politically thin skin doesn't qualify 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought it was saying that there's a whole generation saying "I'm shouldn't be treated like everyone else", i.e. "we're all different, like snowflakes", along with the delicate part. Another of those rather silly phrases that seems to have sprung out of nowhere to dismiss people because that's easier than thinking about their position (even if you don't agree with it in the slightest). Others off the top of my head that I hate for the same reason are "gammon" and "nimby" and probably others that haven't sprung to mind. Whatever I think of the person they're being directed towards (some I agree with, some I'm the complete opposite) they usually give a worse impression of the person using them.

When first hearing the word being used, I thought of it with a completely different meaning.

It does actually clearly describe Modern society.

In general society today takes offence at the drop of a hat, is totally selfish and has little concern who its actions affect others.

There are of course plenty of individuals who are the complete opposite.

But especially with the younger element, thinking they know their rights, but fail to accept their responsibilities.

With various pressure groups (from all areas) forcing their views on others, making certain parts of society intolerant and sometimes violent

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I think of it as a description of people who may look good but have no substance and just melt away when things get too difficult. Admittedly it applies to the younger generation (mainly millennials) who want and expect it all without having earned or worked for it.

In my profession (property and construction Project Management) it's a very applicable simile to quite a few people I meet...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

"Millennials" is getting a bit questionable too. The definition was people who reached 18 around 2000, so they'll be in their mid 30s now (that's a scary "where did the time go?" moment!) but it usually seems to get applied to people in their 20s.

Edited by Reorte

Admittedly it applies to the younger generation (mainly millennials) who want and expect it all without having earned or worked for it.

Spot on, we live in a society where the young expect everything instantly, however sadly they forget these things need to be earnt.

Cars for instance, most people bought used cars as they could not afford new ones. New cars came along much later, usually after getting on the housing ladder. Now after passing their test youngsters get a brand new lease car, might be cheap to start with but after 2 years what have they got other than a big bill for exceeding the mileage allowance!! 

There are plenty who thankfully buck this trend, but they are the quiet minority who get on and do it.

When first hearing the word being used, I thought of it with a completely different meaning.

It does actually clearly describe Modern society.

In general society today takes offence at the drop of a hat, is totally selfish and has little concern who its actions affect others.

There are of course plenty of individuals who are the complete opposite.

But especially with the younger element, thinking they know their rights, but fail to accept their responsibilities.

With various pressure groups (from all areas) forcing their views on others, making certain parts of society intolerant and sometimes violent

I find the term is synonymous with SJWs, although not exclusively.

As summed up in the following cartoon video series (warning, contains bad language etc).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JcUi5_eNoqk

All the characters featured, are based on real people sadly.

My niece is currently at the age where she epitomises the 'rights without responsibilities' mindset and we're trying our best to bring her round to some kind of semblance of normality and decency, to ensure its just a phase.

I have a feeling it's gonna be a long phase though. She is a teenager, and who wasn't rebellious at that age.

But, I often wonder what on earth are they being 'taught' at school these days?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My niece is currently at the age where she epitomises the 'rights without responsibilities' mindset and we're trying our best to bring her round to some kind of semblance of normality and decency, to ensure its just a phase.

I have a feeling it's gonna be a long phase though. She is a teenager, and who wasn't rebellious at that age.

But, I often wonder what on earth are they being 'taught' at school these days?

To be honest that sounds like typical teenager from any time. If there's a difference it's that too many aren't growing out of it. Maybe that was always the case too but they can make their voices heard more easily (I'm too cynical to think that's the case but it's a possibility that should be considered).

• Like 1

As I hear it 'special' has been in circulation at least a dozen years for those that think the world owes them a living.

'Snowflake' or more usually just 'flake' has been in common use since the 1960s to my knowledge. One of the female teachers at secondary school was known as 'Miss Flake' because she caved under any sort of pressure. It was very commonly regularly encountered thereafter in the work place too.

...But, I often wonder what on earth are they being 'taught' at school these days?

On the whole, my perception is that state education is doing a good job on those prepared to pay attention. They are thoughtful, know that hard work is typically required to get on, and that they are not going to succeed instantly, or luck into media, sports - or what ever is currently trending - stardom/wealth/fame.

Overall I feel the present situation is superior to my time in state education - which was under the benign hand of a good authority that discharged its responsibility very well - from which about a third of the boys who left at 15 were convinced that they were going to be playing for their favoured club side within two or three years, and would have an England cap before they were twenty-five...

"Flake" and "snowflake" are very separate insults. "Flake" designates an unreliable person. "Snowflake" implies that a person is seeking privilege. (Of course, both insults could be directed at the same person.) Flake, or flakey, is an old usage. Snowflake is fairly new.

• RMweb Premium

In current usage, I see calling someone a 'snowflake' as actually reflecting extremely badly on the person uttering it. They may think it shows a macho streak and makes the other person look bad, but as with all insults the reverse is actually the case for anyone with a brain. Life / politics is nowhere near as simple as people pretend and just because someone disagrees with your position does not mean they do not have a valid argument or that their decision is not based on logical deductions etc.which you may not have considered properly.

It really seems to have come to prominence over the past 2 years being used as an insult / to wind folk up over a certain referendum result - but is gradually creping into other spheres of life too. Like all childish insults it has no place in politics or adult conversation

Edited by phil-b259

IMO a snowflake is someone, typically a millennial, who is overly offended by everything, often by proxy.

That is my understanding as well, it is somebody who will go out of their way to be offended at anything/everything.

‘Gammon’ is one I don’t understand...

It's to do with the alleged crimson- purple colour of their face, most usually when being interviewed for television.

So that's migrating in meaning somewhat. 'Gammon' as I understand it is someone literally 'gaming' the conversation/discussion/negotiation/argument for their own ends, typically some form of distraction, deceit or deception to obtain their desired result. The schoolmaster who threatens a punishment that he cannot inflict to control a class for example.