Loco code methodology

Damo666

It should not be responding to short address 62. Just make sure that you don't have a double header or consist set up that links 62 with 0062.

I have never set it up in a consist. I think it is just a Hornby quirk, which is why I usually avoid them.

It is nice to have 1 or 2 available to test oddities like this though.

I use the last 4 digits but ignore any duplicates, and any 0s, so the BR steam engine (fictional) 73801 would be 7381 and a diesel (fictional) 47233 would be 4723. Using the last digits instead of the first ones avoids duplicates by means of class numbers between steam/diesel and different TOPS/pre-TOPS. I find this system produces the fewest number of clashes.

Hi,

Having an NCE PowerCab, I am restricted to 4 digits at most using the long address.

I started out using the scheme #1, #2, err.., #4 (for the third DCC loco purchased/converted) - so immediately hit a snag.

So I use the last four digits (or the only 4 digits if it is a GWR loco) so, for example GWR 45xx Prarie Tank No.4539 is simply '4539', 9F 'Evening Star' 92220 becomes '2220', and A4 Mallard 60022 becomes '22'

Works for diesels too so prototype Deltic 'DP1' becomes '1', black 08 shunter 13029 becomes '3029' and Class 25 D7628 becomes '7628'.

So far, no clashes.

My grandson has Thomas (No.1), Percy (No.6) and Bachmann's 'Stuart' (No.49) which are numbered 1, 6 and 49 respectively.  Only problem will be if DP1 and Thomas are wanted at the same time.

Art

Edited by Art Dent

Hi,

Having an NCE PowerCab, I am restricted to 4 digits at most using the long address.

Works for diesels too so prototype Deltic 'DP1' becomes '1', black 08 shunter 13029 becomes '3029' and Class 25 D7628 becomes '7628'.

So far, no clashes.

My grandson has Thomas (No.1), Percy (No.6) and Bachmann's 'Stuart' (No.49) which are numbered 1, 6 and 49 respectively.  Only problem will be if DP1 and Thomas are wanted at the same time.

Thomas and DP1 are not a problem with a PowerCab....    #1 and #0001 are different addresses - the first is short, the second long.  You can have both.

Thomas and DP1 are not a problem with a PowerCab....    #1 and #0001 are different addresses - the first is short, the second long.  You can have both.

Duh!  That's true.  It is just that (currently) I set them to #1 using the short address!

Thanks Nigel for that reminder.

Art

When I converted my 00 gauge layout 'Crewlisle' to DCC 10 years ago, I had a couple of problems to solve.  I was exhibiting on average of once a year so I had to convey to my three other exhibition operators how to access each loco & other functions now I had gone DCC using a Lenz LZV100 Command Station & two LH90 handsets.  I could not expect them to operate at an exhibition with only a one evening's 'refresher' course without a 'condensed' card guide on how the system works as I had 40+ locos at the time; now it is 52!  See the two attached pdfs.  I also find it useful if I have not used the layout for a while!

I created the cards (see attachments) with a mixture of using Word & Excel on my laptop.  This is the way to do it:

1.    Decide what information you want to use & use your own abridged version from the official user guide/manual.
2.    With trial & error enter the details in Excel (loco codes & sound functions) & Word (operating instructions) to all fit on an A4 page.
3.    Print out your instructions for the front side, cut out & stick them with a couple of blobs of Pritstik or other paper glue on a blank A4 sheet in the format you want.
4.    Repeat 3. for the other side.
5.    On your printer, reduce each side down to the size you want & print or get a Copy Shop to do it for you.  My card is 185mm x 105mm.
6.    Stick them back to back making sure that everything lines up (ie the margins are the same each side).
7.    Depending what other info you want with your loco codes (mine are F3 Shunting Mode), hi light them on the final size print.
8.    Get your local Copy Shop to laminate them & cut to size.  You only have to make new ones when you get additional locos.

Peter

DCC Operating Card (Front).pdf

DCC Operating Card (Back).pdf

• Like 2

When I converted my 00 gauge layout 'Crewlisle' to DCC 10 years ago, I had a couple of problems to solve.  I was exhibiting on average of once a year so I had to convey to my three other exhibition operators how to access each loco & other functions now I had gone DCC using a Lenz LZV100 Command Station & two LH90 handsets.  I could not expect them to operate at an exhibition with only a one evening's 'refresher' course without a 'condensed' card guide on how the system works as I had 40+ locos at the time; now it is 52!  See the two attached pdfs.  I also find it useful if I have not used the layout for a while!

I created the cards (see attachments) with a mixture of using Word & Excel on my laptop.  This is the way to do it:

1.    Decide what information you want to use & use your own abridged version from the official user guide/manual.

2.    With trial & error enter the details in Excel (loco codes & sound functions) & Word (operating instructions) to all fit on an A4 page.

3.    Print out your instructions for the front side, cut out & stick them with a couple of blobs of Pritstik or other paper glue on a blank A4 sheet in the format you want.

4.    Repeat 3. for the other side.

5.    On your printer, reduce each side down to the size you want & print or get a Copy Shop to do it for you.  My card is 185mm x 105mm.

6.    Stick them back to back making sure that everything lines up (ie the margins are the same each side).

7.    Depending what other info you want with your loco codes (mine are F3 Shunting Mode), hi light them on the final size print.

8.    Get your local Copy Shop to laminate them & cut to size.  You only have to make new ones when you get additional locos.

Peter

attachicon.gifDCC Operating Card (Front).pdf

attachicon.gifDCC Operating Card (Back).pdf

Seems a good, simple and effective way to manage. 

If it wasn't necessary to add instructions on the card then space could be used to put loco addresses and function numbers all on one side.  Here's my very quick adaptation to your method I knocked up in Excel:

post-1570-0-35266700-1548668848_thumb.png

Cheers .. Alan