32-929 Class 150115 Accuracy?

cs233

There is an error in selecting 150115 in original Provincial livery unless the tooling is modified, very few 150\1 units did have a cut away modified cowling and still retain this livery, my research shows 150135 and 137 certainly did but 115 did not as there are pictures of the unit in RR Central livery before the modification was made. Based on photgraphic evidence all of its years in original Provincial were with the original cowling. Unless Bachmann modify the tooling to represent the cowling as when the units were built it cannot be accurate. 

Have you provided this feedback to Bachmann? Or will they see it on here? Or what’s the best way to let them know? Forgive the questions as an occasional user of the forum, just seems a shame if they can’t correct their choice of unit (or confirm they are tooling it differently) given it will be months (maybe years!) before we see it released. I really want an original provincial 150 and would like it to be accurate!

I did attempt to let them know via the website but not sure if the message did go through. Here is a picture of the unit in Central livery with the 'as built' unmodified cowling: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwbphotos/35380357173 this specific unit carried Provincial livery until around 1990. The cowling was modified to the version that Bachmann have tooled in the past in around 1992. Some other class mates did carry original Provincial livery until late 1992 at least but 150115 was not one of them.

On another note it would be nice if Bachmann are able to correct the radiator area on the underframe as the one they did model is from a 150\2 which is not the same as the 150\1.

I did attempt to let them know via the website but not sure if the message did go through. Here is a picture of the unit in Central livery with the 'as built' unmodified cowling: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwbphotos/35380357173 this specific unit carried Provincial livery until around 1990. The cowling was modified to the version that Bachmann have tooled in the past in around 1992. Some other class mates did carry original Provincial livery until late 1992 at least but 150115 was not one of them.

On another note it would be nice if Bachmann are able to correct the radiator area on the underframe as the one they did model is from a 150\2 which is not the same as the 150\1.

When you say ‘cowling’, are you talking about the obstacle deflector? (Commonly called the snowplough in error)

When you say ‘cowling’, are you talking about the obstacle deflector? (Commonly called the snowplough in error)

It is not the obstacle deflector it is actually part of the lower body that was modified in the early 90's due it being prone to corrosion. It did become a rust trap. To reduce maintenance it was decided to cut a small portion of the front panel away and slightly reshape.

It is not the obstacle deflector it is actually part of the lower body that was modified in the early 90's due it being prone to corrosion. It did become a rust trap. To reduce maintenance it was decided to cut a small portion of the front panel away and slightly reshape.

Right, after comparing photos, I see what you mean now. Its the body work under the front step well (under the wipacs). I’ve never noticed that before. Every day is a school day.

So my Trains 4U 150135 is correct but 150115 would not be?

If 150115 did get released with this error, It doesn’t look like it would be a lot of work to put back the body work to make it correct but obviously we’d like it to be right in the first place.

Thank you for drawing this to my attention.

Edited by 66738

• RMweb Gold

Actually I wouldn't mind a 150/1 in the original 1990 style Centro livery instead of the one they released last year, the original version with the Centro logos next to the doors was far longer lived than the version they released on the 150/2.

Interesting gen on 150115 though, I did wonder myself about the footstep cowl,

This was why we specifically chose 150135 as our special edition.

It was the only one we could find with the modified bodywork

Before:

150orig.PNG

After:

150cut.PNG

Excellent photos showing the differences Trains4U. Have been hoping over the years you or someone else would commission the 150/2 in Original provincial. I realise the gangway door would not be prototypical but have been hoping that one day it would come.

Indeed the Trains4U release of 150135 is correct although it only had the original Provincial livery and modified cowling in service for less than 12 months. 150137 ran in this condition for longer and suffered with a totally worn out original livery until around late 1992 when it finally received a new paint job.

Original Provincial livery and later style modified cowling was a short lived combination. Essentially an original livered unit with later cowling is very limited to between late 91 and late 92. The real answer is to modify the tooling and fix the underframe error although there is of course the commercial side for Bachmann to evaluate.