Hornby - New Tooling - Terrier

Andy Y

On 13/09/2024 at 17:02, Karl said:

The problem with the Dapol one is the running plate. I had 6 (in 2 3s) versions all which had a pronounced bend in them forward of the tanks which really detracted from their appearance, once seen can't be unseen. And I've seen very few that don't have this. Other than that it was a superior model to the Hornby one. I think for either company releases in more SECR liveries wouldn't sell but Umber which Hornby haven't done seems to sell incredibly well. So I think liveries would have to be selective but I see no reason for another release not to be successful. If the running plate on the Dapol one was fixed I could see me getting several.

None of my 3 Dapol ones have a bend (so maybe I got lucky there).

Agree on the SECR livery which has been done 3 times (old Hornby/Dapol, New Hornby, New Dapol), the other later liveries post 1910 won't be possible anyway as the loco got a new SECR boiler and other SECR dedicated fittings that the tooling does not cover.

She reverted back to Terrier standards in SR days before finally being preserved.

TBH, I only need Fenchurch in A1 condition in LBSCR colours quite similar to as preserved and my dose in Terriers will be complete.... (I have the old Hornby/Dapol version when she was in BR colours). 

On 27/06/2024 at 22:35, sleepyrider said:

And then, once you purchase this one, 15 pounds towards next year's exclusive Terrier, FYN no. 2 in green, complete with incorrect boiler... 

One can hope, and yes I'd buy one of those too.

Is that a genuine announcement, or wishful thinking?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Audens Pledge said:

Does the boiler matter? From the outside, surely it wouldn't look any different to the original? 

Both the SECR boiler on 751 and the LSWR boilers on their two (735 and 734, later FYN2 / W2) were very distinctive, with different safety valves (firebox-mounted salter valves on 751, Drummond dome-mounted on the LSWR pair)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick C said:

Both the SECR boiler on 751 and the LSWR boilers on their two (735 and 734, later FYN2 / W2) were very distinctive, with different safety valves (firebox-mounted salter valves on 751, Drummond dome-mounted on the LSWR pair)

Ah, I see. I assumed that the new boilers would be designed to closely match the original in order to fit the existing space and all the parts that connected up.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Audens Pledge said:

Ah, I see. I assumed that the new boilers would be designed to closely match the original in order to fit the existing space and all the parts that connected up.

That'd be too easy! I imagine they were their builder's standard desgins, resized to fit... The smaller companies went back to Brighton when they needed new boilers, so got standard A1X ones...

2 hours ago, Audens Pledge said:

Does the boiler matter? From the outside, surely it wouldn't look any different to the original? 

Different dome and dome location, completely different safety valves etc. Not hard for someone to modify a model, but needs additional tooling for a one off to produce a model running in 2 later liveries (Maunsell green then grey). 

https://www.facebook.com/SECRSociety/posts/secr-751-ex-lbsc-54-waddon-in-three-of-the-liveries-it-carried-whilst-in-the-own/1927659457286056/

Would I buy it? Sure. But can understand why it might not be modelled in RTR.

Edited by JSpencer