Class 25 photos

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by Dale Green : 25 319 takes rest at Coventry on 28th August 1976...

25319covdalegreen260876.jpg.6be63aee87badaf26b84c2ae6ccd49d2.jpg

Not in bad condition considering this was still wearing its original 9-year-old paint finish. Who says the first BR blue paint quality was a bit iffy?! (It also shows that not all '25s' suffered coolant overspill paint stripping problems.)

I believe 7669 was the only one of the final 18 blue-from-new '25s' to reach TOPS renumbering and the date of this photo indicates it somehow lasted at least another two and a half years after that - a remarkable achievement!

Does anyone have a photo of 25259 like this? One end of it poked into a photo published in Traction years ago (Bescot or Saltley) but I've never seen a 'proper' photo as per this one. As 7609 it was repainted from green into this early blue style at Crewe Works in Spring 1970 so its paintwork was a whole 3 years newer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jbqfc said:

some from the Spa valley railway 02/08/24

John

For some reason D7535 looks over scale width in the last photo...... 🤪!

I preferred the original 4-logo livery on most classes it was applied to, to me it looked more 'balanced' than the 2-logo livery, especially where the single logo per side was not central, i.e. classes 31, 37, 47 & 50. I'm sure it was only done to save a little time and money.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

For some reason D7535 looks over scale width in the last photo...... 🤪!

I preferred the original 4-logo livery on most classes it was applied to, to me it looked more 'balanced' than the 2-logo livery, especially where the single logo per side was not central, i.e. classes 31, 37, 47 & 50. I'm sure it was only done to save a little time and money.

The 33 is a slim Jim 33202 

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Does anyone have a photo of 25259 like this? One end of it poked into a photo published in Traction years ago (Bescot or Saltley) but I've never seen a 'proper' photo as per this one. As 7609 it was repainted from green into this early blue style at Crewe Works in Spring 1970 so its paintwork was a whole 3 years newer.

Co-incidence time.

A couple of days ago I was rooting through my old negatives in response to a comment elsewhere on this forum about the comedy renumbering style of 08316. I'm sure I photted that loco at Hamilton in 1974, but I couldn't find the neg (I've not completely finished searching yet, so there's still a chance). However while looking for that I did stumble on a previously unprinted neg of 25259 in four-logo livery. It's a standard 3/4 phot taken at Bescot, with the number easily legible. It's B&W, but I can't tell whether it's FP4 or HP5, so it'll be interesting to see what sort of quality I can get from it. I'll scan it tomorrow if I can.

I'd already put this 25259 neg to one side to scan it because a few months back I'd been researching the options for four-logo blue Class 25s for a mate who had an unnumbered Heljan O gauge model with cabside logos that he wanted to number as a TOPS loco. I'd concluded - erroneously as it turns out - that 25319 was the only option, so stumbling on my own 25259 neg came as a bit of a surprise. Unlike the 08316 phot this one had long since been erased from my memory, so if I hadn't been looking for the gronk phot I wouldn't have found the rat shot.

Were there any more like this, or just the two?

• Like 4

Here's the pic of 25259...

http://bescotplus.co.uk/trains/25259_FourLogos

Not up to much technically, but good enough to see what we're looking at and could be useful to modellers. I might try physically cleaning the neg to see if I can improve it at some point. If so I'll upload to the same URL.

Interesting parallel dribble marks on the front of the loco, suggesting that (a) the field siding was not laid level, and the loco is indeed tilting slightly towards the camera as the image suggests. Hence the run off from the bottom right corner of each window frame; and (b) it may have been there a while for that pattern to establish itself. The latter would not be a surprise as this siding often held locos that were either withdrawn or long term broke/waiting attention.

• Like 8

On 04/08/2024 at 23:45, AW said:

Co-incidence time.

A couple of days ago I was rooting through my old negatives in response to a comment elsewhere on this forum about the comedy renumbering style of 08316. I'm sure I photted that loco at Hamilton in 1974, but I couldn't find the neg (I've not completely finished searching yet, so there's still a chance). However while looking for that I did stumble on a previously unprinted neg of 25259 in four-logo livery. It's a standard 3/4 phot taken at Bescot, with the number easily legible. It's B&W, but I can't tell whether it's FP4 or HP5, so it'll be interesting to see what sort of quality I can get from it. I'll scan it tomorrow if I can.

I'd already put this 25259 neg to one side to scan it because a few months back I'd been researching the options for four-logo blue Class 25s for a mate who had an unnumbered Heljan O gauge model with cabside logos that he wanted to number as a TOPS loco. I'd concluded - erroneously as it turns out - that 25319 was the only option, so stumbling on my own 25259 neg came as a bit of a surprise. Unlike the 08316 phot this one had long since been erased from my memory, so if I hadn't been looking for the gronk phot I wouldn't have found the rat shot.

Were there any more like this, or just the two?

08316 was me too @AW

Many thanks for the 25259 photo, an excellent find which floats my boat 😁! As is well-known, Derby turned out D7660-77 brand new in blue, D7660-71 had works plates on the driver's cabsides like this which led to the logos (and numbers in alignment) being applied higher up. On D7672-7 the works plates were fixed to the cab doors to allow the logos to be applied centrally on the cabside, with numbers again in alignment. It's not entirely clear why Crewe turned out 5184, 7562 and 7609 (and possibly 7599) in the 'high-logo' early blue style around Spring 1970 when a single logo per side had become the norm (Class 37s 6882/3 were treated there likewise) but they had an aversion to moving cabside works plates on Class 47s, as illustrated by those examples in blue with cabside numbers and four bodyside logos - Brush of course had built D1953-61 with the logos/numbers the right way round according to the 'corporate image' by attaching the plates to the cab doors.

Having built D7672-7 with plates on the doors Derby had no qualms in moving plates from cabsides to doors when overhauling and repainting Class 24s - other than D5026 in Bsyp livery I can't think of any early blue '24s' with logos in the higher position, and there were quite a lot of them. Even so I can only think of 5076 & D5086 which reached TOPS as 24076 & 24086 with four logos, and 5112/3 as 24112/3 with two (on the secondman's cabsides, with numbers on the driver's corners replacing the logos there.

On the Class 25s the only other early blue TOPS example I'm aware of was 7572 which became 25222 - the only early body style '25' to achieve it AFAIK - but in this case the new numbers were squeezed in above the driver's cabside logos instead of applied to the bodysides where there was more space! Well, slightly more......

On the 'Derby Type 2s' of either kind a cab door works plate was not necessarily an indicator of a previous early blue livery recipient - moving the plates became standard practice during overhauls in order to free up the driver's cabside to take the running number, data panel and allocation sticker all neatly stacked!

If you can find that photo of 08316, I hope it shows that my memory of the loco at a glance in Swindon Works over 47 years ago has been accurately reflected in my model, since I've now varnished the transfers....!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...