The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

I think I can see the Shard from my house

34theletterbetweenB&D

That's from 22 miles, pretty close to true north from the Shard's location. I noticed yesterday evening that there was a faint group of aviation hazard warning lights just above the horizon, slightly east of the lights readily visible on the aerials at Bell Bar, just over 6 miles away. Checked the alignment on OS maps, and it is where the Shard should be. If it's clear tomorrow I shall get the bins on it...

• Like 2

quite possibly... I know I can see Wembly stadium (when the arch is lit) from the army ranges (26 miles). Took me an age to work out what it was first time I spotted it. I'm not sure about the Shard though (31 miles), but I've not looked either. And certainly would need binos, though in theory it should be.

• RMweb Premium

I am not at all surprised that you can see the top of The Shard. What will be remarkable is if you ever get to see the rest of it through the constant low-lying smog that is London.

Smog or not I KNOW I can't see it from my place!

... the constant low-lying smog that is London.

On which subject, the general filth of 'civilisation'. Some years ago after visiting family and friends dotted around the East Coast, we flew to Denver, Col. to hire a RV (camper van) to tour a little of the Western Cordillera and particularly Yellowstone. (It was wonderful, people, scenery, geology, archaeology, all of it, highly recommended.) Our final full day with the RV we drove up to just over 12,000ft on a mountain with a clear view of the Great Plains to the East. And what an unbelievable view that is, in which was noticeable what appeared to be a trail of smoky haze. Through the bins the source was clearly Denver.

Here's the sad aspect. When we first came out of Denver airport we remarked on how clear the air was, compared to the East Coast states we had been in, and this in turn (outside the Boswash conurbation) had much cleaner air than the norm in populous Yurp. The filthy soup that passes for air in the south of the UK...

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D
  • Like 1

I am not at all surprised that you can see the top of The Shard. What will be remarkable is if you ever get to see the rest of it through the constant low-lying smog that is London.

Then again, you can't see the thing when you're walking past it ...

Up at Haigh Hall Wigan a mile or so from me on a clear day I can see The Lake District hills to the north, North Wales mountains to the west and walk a bit over to see the Pennine Hills and Peak district to the east and south east - all nice places to visit for a day out. Jodrell Bank radio telescope and Blackpool tower can also be seen.

This view looking NE, Hall in bottom centre, Winter Hill to right, Pendle Hill top left (Lake district further west off photo). We walk around this park often. You can just about make what is left of the old L&Y Horwich loco works centre far right.

HaighHallCountryPark_ic25572_uxga.jpg

The foreground was full of collieries and ironworks over 100 years ago, now a golf course.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I’m not sure when the Shard started to be built, but in 2003 I found I could take pics of the Gherkin, in The City, from the top of Leith Hill, Surrey, a distance of 26 miles. The stripes on the Gherkin helped it to stand out. With a 630mm focal length, and only 2.7 megapixels, they were not great shots, mind........

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One of my favourite ‘vistas’ is on the way to Alton towers if you go over the Staffordshire moorlands, when you get to the top at cauldron low you can on a clear day see breedon hill near Welshpool at the same time as ratcliffe powerstation, Willington, the Cheshire plains etc

Went to mow cop in the summer on a beautifully clear day and was blown away by the view from there, it was hazy so I suspect had it not been I would have seen right out to Blackpool, heysham etc

https://flic.kr/p/26zi1WZ

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That’s odd, I saw the Moon once also, I wonder if it was the same one?

That will depend on if you saw it in the same month. There's a new one created every synodic month.

• Like 1

The foreground was full of collieries and ironworks over 100 years ago...

A pound to a penny says many folks down here would assume that it still is.

Now, also down here and with no direct experience of mining, and no family or friends with such experience , even I know that collieries involved digging the stuff out of the ground. So most of what constituted those collieries must still be there.

• RMweb Premium

I’m not sure when the Shard started to be built, but in 2003 I found I could take pics of the Gherkin, in The City, from the top of Leith Hill, Surrey, a distance of 26 miles. The stripes on the Gherkin helped it to stand out. With a 630mm focal length, and only 2.7 megapixels, they were not great shots, mind........

I'm trying to find the photo now but I've got a (fairly poor phone) photo of the Shard from Holmbury Hill, to the west of Leith, reflecting the sunlight really clearly. You can also see the Channel through the Adur gap on a clear day, which is pretty awesome.

• Like 1