The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

• RMweb Gold

Not just his sport it’s the jetting everywhere because they can inbetween races. I know Lewis has been reported as selling his private jet but he still commutes between multiple countries between races for his music and fashion etc. Could he really give all that up? ;) Leaving F1 would cause the barest of ripples before the publicity machine switches over completely to Max and Charles. 

I think all these celebrity lifestyle stories could do with them actually living it for a year. I bet he doesn’t have time to walk to the local shop for food so has it delivered in a van, then take the bus to the ferry terminal and spend the two weeks between each race travelling to the next one. Convenience vs Environment would soon start to eat away at the ideals. I’m supposed to be made to feel guilty by people because I travel by a return trip on a plane going on holiday but he probably does more air miles every week, certainly on average. In my whole life I’ve averaged a return flight of one every seven years try living with that Lewis ;) 

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

All the hoo-hah about Thomas Cook has reminded us what a huge business air-travel is, even in the leisure sector. And apparently hotels in Spain are closing down as a result. Seeing the other 'Orange Army' supporting Max at flyaway races indicates the loyalty of a certain type of fan, and their collection of air miles. 

Many celebs seem to need a new outlook when at the top of their tree. I think of the Beatles steeping themselves in Indian mysticism.

I think I can undercut your return flight every seven years, Paul. I think mine averages fourteen, and that includes 20' in a heliclobber overflying Le Mans during the race! I will admit to one longer trip - Sebring, for the 12 hr race in 2007. Implausibly for a railwayman, I did twice fly on duty, to and from Scotland, on separate occasions. It saved an overnight stay, of course. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Rather like Ian, although even more so, I made more flights on railway business than I ever have for pleasure purposes and to quite a few destinations around Europe although I did go to Glasgow overnight on the sleeper (but subsequently flew from there to Brussels!).  Even worse in post 'big railway ' consultancy days as that led to flights to/from Australia although I did go to/from Scotland by train.

But back to F1 and the current worldwide spread of the venues plus - no doubt - US ownership will mean I reckon little chance of seeing its carbon footprint shrinking.  Whatever developing technology might reduce emissions from the cars shuttling them around the world will more than make up for it.  But I hope for at least a year or two Lewis keeps at it before he goes off grid to live in a yurt and growing vegetables.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

On 13/10/2019 at 17:54, Andrew P said:

& now no point for renault & disqualified from the results of the Japanese Grand Prix 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.renault-disqualified-from-results-of-the-japanese-grand-prix.5lDaMU1SWKaXnpEP93CLVB.html

• Informative/Useful 6

Interesting that it has now got so complicated in the electronics side of things that the FIA now have to spend so much of their time checking that teams aren't "bending" the rules (to look at "generously"!).

Makes you wonder if they should, as F1 is supposed to be the "pinnacle" of the sport, just get rid of the rule book and allow anything?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 21:18, ess1uk said:

As opposed to Formula E races which usually look like they're taking place on the unfinished access road to a new housing development.:jester:

John

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

1 minute ago, Hobby said:

Makes you wonder if they should, as F1 is supposed to be the "pinnacle" of the sport, just get rid of the rule book and allow anything?

Allow anything? You really didn't think that one through. It would cause the sport to collapse.

Only the richest would be able to survive...

That would leave us with only Mercedes & Ferrari. Even they would not be able to afford a 3rd car so we would be left with 4 cars.

Engines would be much more powerful & cars would have so much grip that drivers necks would be in danger of breaking as they drove around corners.

Aerodynamics would be so extreme that following would be totally impossible.

The current rules have evolved over time for a good reason.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Was playing Devil's Advocate! Though to be fair, at the moment the only teams that have a chance of winning are the ones with the most money, the rest are just there to make up the numbers.  As regards cornering the current set-up has them close to the limit of what a human can withstand already and still be in a fit state to drive the car so its doubtful it could be taken much further if the driver still had to physically drive it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

That’s where these robo cars are heading but will people flock to see just a manufacturer? The personalities of the drivers make them a far bigger fan draw than even Ferrari is. 

The fallibility of the driver, whether in the groove, temper or a bad day, adds the unpredictability that is the real excitement. 

I think the sound of the engine has already proved following purely technical guidelines has problems with the participants and fans. 

The rules can only do so much to control the funding, limited to parts and testing, as the big teams will always have the budget to grab the best technical staff. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

...The rules can only do so much to control the funding, limited to parts and testing, as the big teams will always have the budget to grab the best technical staff. 

Happily there's a natural law that operates against that. The person with the next big bright idea is often a poor fit in a currently successful outfit; and will actively look for a place where their contribution will more easily win priority, and they will get the lion's share of the credit for the resulting success.

If this were not true Ferrari with their guaranteed 'money for turning up' deal would win over 50% of the championships.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Not so sure it’s a natural law, I’d think the competition for who’ll pay the most is fairly even between Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Red Bull if the goods on offer promise future advantages. I wasn’t really thinking of just the big ideas so much as across the board with engineers through to the top jobs. 

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 15:02, PaulRhB said:

... I wasn’t really thinking of just the big ideas so much as across the board with engineers through to the top jobs. 

It's a buyer's market when it comes to able engineers wanting to work at the top levels in motor sport. I know two young men with excellent qualifications from the right university courses and successful motor sport engineering experience who would leap at an F1 team post - and they both  have good professional positions in highly regarded automotive businesses. All the F1 teams will have first class engineers in their employ, so long as they have the finance to pay a living wage.

The teams that win are the ones that have all that ability working on the basis of the current best ideas.  That's the critical difference.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Max to get a three place grid penalty https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50196156

And it appears it was his big mouth that got him into trouble. Saying safety doesn't matter, in effect, will never go down well with the stewards. And if Vettel, who was ahead of him, lifted without even thinking, so should he have done.

• Agree 17

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2019 at 13:05, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It's a buyer's market when it comes to able engineers wanting to work at the top levels in motor sport. I know two young men with excellent qualifications from the right university courses and successful motor sport engineering experience who would leap at an F1 team post - and they both  have good professional positions in highly regarded automotive businesses. All the F1 teams will have first class engineers in their employ, so long as they have the finance to pay a living wage.

The teams that win are the ones that have all that ability working on the basis of the current best ideas.  That's the critical difference.

I was chatting to a friend of mine the other evening, he currently works as a contractor for, iirc, RBR. He's been offered a permanent role with them. His work is around the electrical side of the power pack. Apparently it was a very strange way in which the offer was made, despite them wanting him on permanent staff they implied he had to volunteer for the role ...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Or not activating a poaching clause in the contracts between RBR and the contractor that he works for...we had them contracts for external cleaners at work with the fee equivalent to 3 or 6 months wages.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2