The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

3 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I am rather hoping it's a complete washout and they can't even do their lap behind the safety car. Hopefully then no points awarded (for nothing) and we can just move on.

I couldn't agree more, remember Jules Bianchi, and that dreadful accident just a few short years ago.

I hope common sense comes before profit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

7 million people recommended to evacuate their home. In a thoroughly civilised country. Even if it dries off at Suzuka overnight, Japan is going to be in a hell of a mess. Is F1 really going to pretend the widespread suffering hasn't occurred?

• Agree 6

Sorry but back to another dull as dishwater race. Sure, there was some overtaking, but I'd fancy my chances in a Ferrari with a dozen or so of the also rans ahead of me. The race was over in the first 20 yards and how come Vettel didn't get the same penalty as Raikonnen in the last race for his false start other than he's in a Ferrari and Raikonnen wasn't?

Not sure why Hamilton wasn't left out at the end. The new graphics showed his medium tyres were ok. Bottas may have caught him but unlikely Vettel would and then despite being much faster on brand new tyres it showed that with 2 evenly matched cars you can't pass even with DRS.

That said it was another good showing from Sainz.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The inconsistency of stewards' decisions continues to drag the sport down. Neither Raikkonen nor Vettel gained any advantage from their false start, which is surely the point. Until every race is stewarded by the same people, we are set to be puzzled. 

I note Leclerc has now got it in the neck for hitting Verstappen, and again for not coming in when his car was shedding bits. And Ferrari have been fined for not getting him in. Binotto must really enjoy having two such team-players. When he is ousted at season-end he may not mind much. 

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The inconsistency of stewards' decisions continues to drag the sport down. Neither Raikkonen nor Vettel gained any advantage from their false start, which is surely the point. Until every race is stewarded by the same people, we are set to be puzzled. 

I note Leclerc has now got it in the neck for hitting Verstappen, and again for not coming in when his car was shedding bits. And Ferrari have been fined for not getting him in. Binotto must really enjoy having two such team-players. When he is ousted at season-end he may not mind much. 

One of the C4 commentators said that Vettel was let off the false start because he stopped the car again before the lights went out. What that doesn't take account of though is - where was Vettel in relation to the start line? If he was on the line when he moved forwards, then he would have already been in front of it when the lights went out.

In athletics, if an athlete moves while on the blocks, it's a false start even if their feet remain in the blocks.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Martin Brundle missing from SKY for the last couple of races.

He’s off racing sports cars with his son.

As Barry Norman once said: “and why not”.*

Cheers

Darius

*or rather his Spitting Image puppet.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, EddieB said:

Underwhelmed reaction for a team that has just won their sixth consecutive championship.

A case of recognising that the strategists lost the race by giving Lewis the wrong choice of tyres?

Once Vettel pitted. Mercedes felt they had to pit Bottas to protect him from the undercut.

This left Hamilton out for 2 laps longer, in which time Vettel & Bottas were going significantly faster.

I wondered if Hamilton could have done a 1 stopper. The new tyre wear graphics are nice but how accurate are they? The teams do not know for sure how long the tyres will last before performance drops off, so I would not take too much notice of a 'for viewers' screen graphic. The ones predicting if the undercut works or not are not always accurate.

Vettel was way back but maybe the team felt the tyres would have given up. By the time Hamilton pitted, the team would ahve had a chance to examine the state of Bottas' second set if tyres, so it would have been less guesswork than usual.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

One of the C4 commentators said that Vettel was let off the false start because he stopped the car again before the lights went out. What that doesn't take account of though is - where was Vettel in relation to the start line? If he was on the line when he moved forwards, then he would have already been in front of it when the lights went out.

C4's coverage do not seem to have a clue, which is why I prefer Sky.

Sky showed that Vettel did not cross his start line.

Vettel moved, but because he stopped again within his start box, this was why he did not get penalised. In the last race, Kimi was well outside his start box before the lights went out.

Several years ago in Malaysia (which had 2 consecutive DRS straights), they claimed a driver was 'unable to get past' on the first. His opponent would have re-taken the place in the 2nd DRS straight so would have been a bit silly to pass on the 1st one. I thought this when I saw it & Sky pointed out the same thing when I saw it later.

Like the last race, it took a while for the stewards to decide to investigate. The Sky team noticed the movement straight away & commented on it way before any car had entered turn 1 yet it took the stewards 9 laps to decide to investigate. OK, they had plenty else to see so they can actually investigate that first, but if the commentary team see a car move a bit too early, then surely the stewards can in order to flag it up. They don't have to investigate for a while.

& what was their nonsense about Leclerc & Verstappen? Not the eventual decision but they initially announced 'no investigation necessary' then later they decided to investigate it. They should not have dismissed the incident before being sure.

I don't dispute the decisions the stewards eventually made, but the order & timing of the above 2 displayed incompetence.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

...Vettel did not cross his start line.

Vettel moved, but because he stopped again within his start box, this was why he did not get penalised...

But Vettel timed it so spectacularly well - for Bottas. I am pretty sure Bottas reacted to the jerk, rather than the lights going out, but happily the timing was just right to make Bottas' start legal, and hey hey, he's off the line before any other driver, most significantly the Ferraris on the front row.

Good work by Albon, should imagine he felt pleased with his performance this weekend; got his Red Bull home ahead of a Ferrari = job done at this stage of his career...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Good work by Albon, should imagine he felt pleased with his performance this weekend; got his Red Bull home ahead of a Ferrari = job done at this stage of his career...

Did you see Albon's qualy time? It was identical to Verstappen's, but presumably set later because he was behind on the grid.

Verstappen is rated by many very highly so to match him after just a few races is a great achievement. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I wondered if Hamilton could have done a 1 stopper. The new tyre wear graphics are nice but how accurate are they? The teams do not know for sure how long the tyres will last before performance drops off, so I would not take too much notice of a 'for viewers' screen graphic. The ones predicting if the undercut works or not are not always accurate.

Vettel was way back but maybe the team felt the tyres would have given up. By the time Hamilton pitted, the team would ahve had a chance to examine the state of Bottas' second set if tyres, so it would have been less guesswork than usual.

This is why

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50032379

Yes, Hamilton could have done a one stopper, but there was risk so the team opted for securing the constructors. Let's face it Hamilton is going to get the crown and could not have secured it in Japan even with a (risky) win.

• Agree 5

4 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Yes, Hamilton could have done a one stopper, but there was risk so the team opted for securing the constructors. Let's face it Hamilton is going to get the crown and could not have secured it in Japan even with a (risky) win.

I agree. Vettel was a long way back & Hamilton could PROBABLY have finished on those tyres, but of course that was only guesswork from my armchair!

Teams have few chances to gather performance data & cancelling the Saturday took away their best opportunity for this. I think they normally do their long runs on Friday, but they knew Saturday was cancelled so would have changed their plans.

If it became apparent he couldn't finish on them, he would have lost a lot of time before having to change.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

C4's coverage do not seem to have a clue, which is why I prefer Sky.

Vettel moved, but because he stopped again within his start box, this was why he did not get penalised. 

Which was exactly what Mark Webber said on C4. The speculation about his position relative to the start line was not from C4. But let’s not let facts get in the way of an opinion eh?!

Dull race. Strategy seemed weird. Can’t believe Leclerc wasn’t forced to come in sooner, massively poor form from Ferrari. 

• Agree 2