The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

Agh  yes the Mechanics swap and more than enough breakdown / bad luck.

And several dodgy starts which were never fully explained and very out of character...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Not forgetting that it would have Title No 7 had McLaren not cocked up and favoured Alonso in 2007.

Although Lewis threw it away somewhat going into the gravel trap in China (which isn't a criticism of Lewis - it was, after all, his first season in F1).

Edited by RJS1977
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Although Lewis threw it away somewhat going into the gravel trap in China (which isn't a criticism of Lewis - it was, after all, his first season in F1).

And if I remember correctly on tyres that were well past their use by date at the time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

And if I remember correctly on tyres that were well past their use by date at the time.

2007 was a tough year for the team.

They took on the world champion for the past 2 seasons & put him alongside the most promising rookie seen for many years. Both would have been very demanding of attention & seen anything else as favouritism the other way.

His tyres in China were completely worn out. The team should have brought him in earlier but they must have been holding out for something. I cannot remember what.

I think the turmoil created within the team by Alonso cost both drivers a few points. They would have finished 1-2 if he had just stuck to racing.

Everyone makes errors from time to time but you tend to forget them when they don't cost too much. How many times does a driver spin while in the lead in the rain? When they already have a big lead & don't lost a place, we forget all about it.

Everyone has good & bad luck in any sport too. 2016 was an unlucky one for Hamilton. It may not have been his unluckiest but Rosberg was good enough to take advantage.

I believe Rosberg felt he was good enough to just clinch the title but only if luck went his way. 2016 was the best chance he was likely to have & he took it, so this is why he chose to retire.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 08/10/2019 at 11:09, Andrew P said:

For a different sport, there’s a storyline in tonight’s Evening Standard headed “Rugby fans furious as match is axed amid tycoon [sic] fears”.

Have they got wind of Bernie heading over to Suzuka?

• Funny 3

I think the race wouldn’t be re-run at a later date, to be voided on the calendar.

IIRC the last time there was a threat to cancel a race due to torrential rain was in Australia, something of a farce to complete the minimum number of laps to avoid having to refund the paying spectators.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I expect those needing to know will have the provisions of F1's rules and the 'contractual obligations' with Sky at their fingertips, to determine what happens.

As I read the F1 regs, if the weather remains really foul, really foul on Sunday such that no qualifying is realistically possible, then wait (while there is daylight) for a window in the weather so that the race can be started under safety car using the FP2 grid, run around at least one lap, from which point the clerk of the course can declare it too dangerous to continue, and that's the result. (Which would make it very important to every driver to observe regulations behind the safety car ...)

And if there is no weather window, then event cancelled, force majueure.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Possibly. But the applicable rules - and whatever other contractual obligations exist - must determine whatever outcome obtains, or potentially the lawyers will be all over it...

Not to mention those who allow betting on F1. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

I thought that if there was no REAL qualifying and the Race doesn't actually start under lights or Safety Car then the meeting was declared void, and one less to the calendar 

There is probably a rule for it.

Actually this is F1, so a panel of stewards will think about it for a few days & come up with a decision some time next week.

Which reminds me of the last race when Raikkonen jumped the start then stopped again.

The TV coverage picked this up straight away but it took the stewards 6 laps to decide they need to investigate then another 2 to hand out a penalty.

Why the 6 lap wait? He crossed his start line early & they could see this straight away, so to wait 6 laps before announcing they were investigating the incident is ridiculous. An automatic detection system could have flagged this up before he crossed the start/finish line.

I could understand the 2 lap investigation time if they felt that he penalised himself by stopping & therefore that was enough, but they just handed him what seemed to be an automatic penalty. Why did it take them a further 2 laps to decide this?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I thought that if there was no REAL qualifying and the Race doesn't actually start under lights or Safety Car then the meeting was declared void, and one less to the calendar 

That's the F1 race meeting piece for sure. But there are other interests with a finger in the pie, who are nothing to do with the actual racing, but everything to do with financial input because they have media distribution rights, and tickets sold to punters, some of who have managed to get there despite 100mph wind and three inches of rain...

24 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

...Which reminds me of the last race when Raikkonen jumped the start then stopped again.

The TV coverage picked this up straight away but it took the stewards 6 laps to decide they need to investigate then another 2 to hand out a penalty.

Why the 6 lap wait? He crossed his start line early & they could see this straight away, so to wait 6 laps before announcing they were investigating the incident is ridiculous. An automatic detection system could have flagged this up before he crossed the start/finish line.

I could understand the 2 lap investigation time if they felt that he penalised himself by stopping & therefore that was enough, but they just handed him what seemed to be an automatic penalty. Why did it take them a further 2 laps to decide this?

I would imagine it is about making absolutely sure it is the right call, because once the penalty is applied and served it is beyond amendment. Probably have to review the evidence before issuing the penalty: and it would be relatively low priority because if the offence was proven it would be a standard fixed penalty anyway: and there were probably other issues keeping them busy over the first few laps requiring 'eyes on the track'. And then how quickly can the replay footage be supplied to the stewards allocated to make the call?

• Like 2

From what I can tell, only two Grands Prix have been cancelled - the 1955 French GP (Reims) after the tragedy at Le Mans earlier that year and the 2011 Bahrain GP due to civil unrest (oxymoron alert?).  The latter was intended to be rescheduled, but in the end never took place.

• Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

The race only counts towards the Championship if it actually is started. The rule below explains point scoring and required number of laps for a race that starts to qualify.

6.5 If a race is suspended under Article 41, and cannot be resumed, no points will be awarded if the leader has completed two laps or less, half points will be awarded if the leader has completed more than two laps but less than 75% of the original race distance and full points will be awarded if the leader has completed 75% or more of the original race distance.

• Informative/Useful 3

Channel 4 Update.

Channel 4 F1® ✔ @C4F1

SCHEDULE UPDATE

There will be no Saturday highlights show.

All circuit activity on Saturday has been cancelled.

On Sunday, 14:20PM we will be running an extended highlights show of Sunday's action, including qualifying - if it happens.#TyphoonHagibis #C4F1

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2