The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, royaloak said:

Much better racing, better overtaking (except Platos inability to pass anyone without spinning their car around), 3 races a day with the weight penalties and reversed grid race, drivers that like being interviewed etc, whats not to like.

Erm, the blatant penalising/hobbling of some teams over the "chosen few"

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, micklner said:

Interesting article today in the Daily Express, BTCC now has a higher spectating audience than F1, the BTCC  figures up by nearly 20% . ITV are quite pleased !!

1 hour ago, royaloak said:

Much better racing, better overtaking (except Platos inability to pass anyone without spinning their car around), 3 races a day with the weight penalties and reversed grid race, drivers that like being interviewed etc, whats not to like.

The article clarifies that it's also to do with people having to pay to watch F1 whilst BTCC is on a major free to air... Even Alan Gow admits that...

Inevitable really...

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

The article clarifies that it's also to do with people having to pay to watch F1 whilst BTCC is on a major free to air... Even Alan Gow admits that...

Inevitable really...

But what it doesn't need to mention is not only free it is actually entertaining , unlike F1 which other than a very few (e.g Germany in the rain ) are simply boring processions , the same 3 Teams winning, as they have now done for how many years ?

The BTCC article also mentions how many different drivers have been on the podium this year already. Last year on at least one occasion the whole field were within 1 second of each other.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yet here you are, on a thread about F1. I have no interest in BTCC, someone telling me it's interesting doesn't make any difference.

Why not go to the really busy BTCC thread on here? Oh...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

They can both be entertaining, F1 has fallen a bit flat for me in the last two years but a mix of weather and outright balls has made the last three remind me why I like it! 

Each has their gripes and preferences on the current situations but F1 has become very reliant on technology and the budget controls on testing and engine penalties seem to have made it difficult to come back quickly. 

Lewis took a gamble that has paid back big time, Daniels seems to have backfired this year but what if Renault find that sweet spot this winter? 

Certainly limiting the effect of the aero  on overtaking is good and can be taken further I hope. Watch old footage of cars drifting in corners :) 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

See, I love the phenomenal levels of grip the current cars generate, and when you do see one sliding it’s even more spectacular because of it. That they appear to defy physics is part of the appeal. 

WRC is for sliding cars, although that’s far less interesting than 10+ years ago IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Lewis took a gamble that has paid back big time, Daniels seems to have backfired this year but what if Renault find that sweet spot this winter? 

Lewis was advised by Bernie & McLaren were on the slide. Less risk than can be perceived by an outsider.

Daniel was a good No.2 at RB, but still a No.2 & would have been this season too because Max has driven very well. His 2019 team mate is now looking for a new drive for 2020.

In the same way, Kimi looked jaded in the 2nd Ferrari last year. He looks revitalised in the Alfa, having  scored less points than he would have done if he had stayed put.

Merc had three years after buying the Brawn outfit, 2010-2012, making little impression with Schumacher and Rosberg driving. In 2013, Hamilton replaced Schumacher, having had some good advice that Merc. had an engine package with the new regulation's requirements for power scavenging doodads in much better shape than anyone else.

The superior power plant under the current regs is the fundamental aspect of their current success. Quite how good that power plant really is we won't know until it is fully obsolete against whatever future F1 regs may require.

With a class act in the driving seat, the rest of the car got sorted in the 2013 season, and the rest is history. Even Rosberg could win the title in a car that good...

Well, that would be my brief summarisation, other opinions are available.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Lewis was advised by Bernie & McLaren were on the slide. Less risk than can be perceived by an outsider.

Still a gamble though as the car wasn’t proven and so many factors can change. Mercedes seem to have had the right ideas and structure to take gambles on design and staff that others still baulk at yet see how it can work. There’s no doubt the egos are there but no single one has dominated, very interesting. 

Sadly we can no longer get Niki’s perspective on it. 

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Even Rosberg could win the title in a car that good...

I've never understood the dismissive way everyone talk s about Rosberg. He pushed Lewis time and time again during their time together, far more that Bottas does. (at least in my opinion)

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Luke123 said:

I've never understood the dismissive way everyone talk s about Rosberg. He pushed Lewis time and time again during their time together, far more that Bottas does.

Definitely superior to Bottas. But he struggled to consistently match Hamilton when all else was equal.

It's the way he now sneers at what Hamilton has achieved that has subsequently reduced him in my estimation. If he believes what is reported in print, why didn't he stay on after his championship, and prove it on track?

• Agree 5

36 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Rosberg only won the Championship because Lewis had a lot of bad luck after the Team swapped the Mechanics over in the Garages. IMHO.

A few things went the wrong way for Hamilton that year but in Rosberg's defence, he was close enough to capitalise.

Nobody seems quite close enough to do that the moment, giving Hamilton the chance to win when perhaps he may not have done when Rosberg was there.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Rosberg only won the Championship because Lewis had a lot of bad luck after the Team swapped the Mechanics over in the Garages. IMHO.

I think also that there were occasions when the team favoured Nico to win the championship as a German team needed a German driver to win.

• Agree 4

Just now, mudmagnet said:

I think also that there were occasions when the team favoured Nico to win the championship as a German team needed a German driver to win.

YES, Maybe not Toto, but faceless people in the Boardroom.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Could be a close qualifying between the red / silver cars and possibly the energy drink cars …...

The mercs seem to have race pace over the whole lap. Could come down to tyre strategy and possibly weather.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

Could come down to tyre strategy and possibly weather.

Weather? At Spa? Surely not? On my last visit a few years back, not for a GP, we set off in hot sunshine into the forest to reach Pouhon. An hour there and it then chucked it down!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Weather? At Spa? Surely not? On my last visit a few years back, not for a GP, we set off in hot sunshine into the forest to reach Pouhon. An hour there and it then chucked it down!

The rain if any / likely  (delete as appropriate) will certainly make for an interesting race benefiting Lewis and Max more I would suggest. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

If AA can post good times in practise/qualifying and can make some progress through the pack in the race to earn some points, I am sure RB will be very satisfied. He'll be doing what they need from a No. 2, including "testing" the Mk 4 Honda engine.

• Agree 3