The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Quali was so cocked up! The Stewards are investigating why only one car of the final 10 set a second time. Martin Brundle says it's one of the silliest things he's senn in F1. 

C4 said the same.:good: S T U P I D.:nono:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Punishment should be all Q3 times disallowed and rerun the session in tomorrow morning's rain. That would be fun

Jo

Nobody is complaining about being held up because they all wanted to be behind somebody else, so no rules were broken by the 'go slow'.

So there is nothing to punish them for.

Maybe a change to the qualifying format would prevent this happening again?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

He did exceed track limits on his fastest time though, so shouldn't really be complaining.... 

Many of us believe he did exceed track limits. But if you were a steward and wanted to leave Italy in one piece would you have had him disqualified? 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

The rules created the problem in forcing them out in bunches to get a tow to get the best possible time, the teams with only one car in there need a tow from someone to be competitive and even when they have two cars don’t seem to be able to run one lead then the other because the drivers want every opportunity for the perfect lap. Longer qualifying stints with cars in free air is the only way like you used to see them spacing themselves out. They have obviously been discussing that from Toto’s comments about issues with setting minimum times for in and out laps. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I have never been a great fan of SB but find it rather sad that he has lost his way so badly. The meedja and the Mafioso Tifosi have dumped him in favour of Chuck Leclerc, so he'll probably be Ferrari's next casualty. It can't help that the Ferrari International Assistance organisation took sides with his team mate either.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Me and SWMBO said last night why not have a 20 minute q3, but each car is only allowed 2 runs. More space on track for each team to get their runs in

4 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

The rules created the problem in forcing them out in bunches to get a tow to get the best possible time, 

The rules don't force the drivers to do anything, it's the use of the tow that forces them to bunch, so even allowing longer sessions wouldn't help especially as it's often that last lap that's the decider...

There's only one fair way and that is to have one car out at a time but then you'd run into problems if it started to rain... Perhaps have a one 5 lap per track session Thurs, Fri and Sat before or after practice and the best time over the three days takes pole...

Trouble is that would make even more boring TV than that bunch of idiots we had yesterday!

(How do they do it at the Indi 500?)

Edited by Hobby
Ruddy predictive text!!
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Stroll, Sainz and Hulkenberg have all been "reprimanded" for driving too slowly. I am not sure what a "reprimand" means, as opposed to driver penalty points

If they were driving too slowly why didnt ALL the other cars overtake them?

Also Lewis bleating on about 'They kept us behind them', uh why didnt YOU overtake them then!

Always somebody elses fault.

• Agree 2

On 07/09/2019 at 15:49, StuAllen said:

Stupidest thing I’ve seen, no-one wanted to lead the pack around, Vettel was fuming in his interview - although I think that’s more to do with LeClerc not being in position for giving the tow. Should make for an interesting race tomorrow though.

Why was Seb so far behind as they approached the line?

He should have been right on Charles gearbox so there is only one to blame for that one.

I hope the three who were reprimanded appeal because the FIA are making out they were pace cars.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Haven’t seen the race today yet although did spot the result on ITV news bulletin earlier, just sat down and started up the recording from earlier.

Going back to the quali shenanigans, think this video on https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.must-see-drivers-react-to-monza-qualifying-drama-as-hulkenberg-sainz-and.59RdKhv2hgSV1QVeXww1U7.html shows how some of the driver reacted, not so easy to get through as they were nearly falling over each other. Whilst it is ridiculous, is it a problem that’s unique to Monza?

• Like 3