The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

20 minutes ago, Luke123 said:

Interesting that it says Ocon has been linked to Haas given that they are Ferrari lite and he is  one of Merc's young drivers, so imo dont see it happening ... but then again i've been wrong about these things before!

But Toto has said that if he is not used in a Merc engine Car next year he will release him from the Driver program, or maybe put him on a one year loan.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 08:53, PaulRhB said:

... Verstappen has looked like the crash twins at Haas in the past but his moves have a higher percentage of success so it’s been tolerated. 

It will be the data that the team see that will have made the decision for them. Makes the car perform in a way other drivers couldn't. Allowed to crash it while new and refining his craft, while showing that promise.

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 08:23, Pete the Elaner said:

I am surprised Bottas's seat is allegedly under threat.

He does seem to follow team orders & so far has kept it clean when battling with Hamilton...

While true, that's only fine while Hamilton is driving for Merc. But when he is no longer available? So indeed:

3 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

The other thing Toto has to bear in mind is - Lewis won't be there forever. He's got one more year left on his current contract, and he's been making positive noises about renewing it, but he's clearly a lot closer to the end of his F1 career than its beginning...

And the time to see if you can find a new driver with that all essential skill of consistently contesting that coveted patch of tarmac where the leading cars are, is while you still have someone winning championships for you. Bottas just isn't that guy on present evidence, Toto will be looking for someone who gives Hamilton enough of a hard time that the result goes down to the wire. The car is definitely capable, that's proven. So why is Bottas roughly on par with Verstappen, rather than neck and neck with Hamilton?

For all that the car is technically good, never forget that the driver is the guy that provides the key feedback to the team on how well the car performs under race conditions. It is much easier with a Hamilton quality driver in the seat. The team don't have any doubt about the data they are getting - for good or ill - about the performance. If Hamilton cannot make a go of it, there's a problem. It's about our very desirable old friend, high signal to noise ratio.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You’ve got to wonder if they took the gamble in Hungary after the performances where they said they didn’t know where he’d got it from. It certainly lit the torch to get him fired up to pop in qualifying laps with minimal risk to his championship position. 

Red Bull no doubt would respond in kind in future and risk the undercut knowing the tyres won’t make it. Whatever puts those two in increasingly close cars is good :) 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Hobby said:

None of them do!! ;):lol:

So why does one of the drivers from each team, who invariably  tends to be the lower ranked of the pair, have a yellow blob at the crane hooking point on their car?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Was it there before the halo?

Teams have always used little ways to tell each car apart, although BAR tried to take it to the extreme in having two different liveried cars (for advertising purposes) which were banned!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It will be for ease of identification. WRC does simular, each team having a differnt way of identifying the cars for the commutators/spectators. Hyundai for example using the national flag of each driver on the air pod on the roof. (Which works until they have two with the same nationality!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Al51 said:

It's been there since at least 2010, possibly earlier!

https://formula1.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/season2010_race19_wallpapers_06_1920x1200.jpg  

Indeed, variations of it have been around for a while now,  but I think it became official last year for the the full yellow T cam (not crane point) on the #2 car. Even iff teams have a "no #1 driver" policy, they still have a designated #2 car which carries the yellow T cam and the #1 car is full black. It is simply for ease of identification at all angles, where the numbers or helmet or any other identify factor you might come up with, are not easily visible.

The FIA has played down the impact the halo will have on the ability of fans to identify drivers in F1 2018.

Haas driver Kevin Magnussen suggested spectators were "not going to have a clue who is who" now the flip-flop-shaped halo head protection device sits above and around the cockpit of the 2018 cars.

But Charlie Whiting, the FIA's race director, believes there are already clearer visual markers on a car to indicate who is driving it than simply the respective driver's helmet design.

"I've always personally felt it's much easier to try and look at the colour of the on-board cameras," Whiting said during a pre-Australian GP briefing.

"Max (Verstappen) and Daniel (Ricciardo), for example, don't look dissimilar [with crash helmets on].

"Last year it was much easier with those two cars because the numbers were very prominent, which they weren't until last year. That actually worked quite well.

"We've made sure that all the numbers on the cars are in exactly the same places and the cameras will be black for the first car and all yellow for the second car.

"I'm fairly convinced that fans won't need to resort to try and identify drivers helmet colours to know who's in the car."

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The F1 stocks have far too much grip these days, hence I gave up watching them... Bring back the 70's when they had much less grip and even someone with a Jag 6cyl well set up could give one of the big Chevvies and Fords a run for their money! It's interesting that on the shale tracks you get more "tale out" racing from the F2s than the F1s these days! I can remember very well Graham Blundell holding off Smithy for the whole of a heat at the 'Vue one Saturday night in the late 70s, both of them on opposite lock half way down the straight and everything in front of them being "moved" out of the way, Graham got a standing ovation for that race and his Mum told me after Stu had come over to him in the pits to congratulate him but ask that he didn't do the same in the final! Those were the days1

(Can't say I am a fan of those contraption on the roof either, the early smaller ones on the back were ok but those things... Yuck! An American import that I'd like to send back to them! Someone last year was racing an F2 without one and it looked so much neater... Rant over!0

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Hobby said:

The F1 stocks have far too much grip these days, hence I gave up watching them... Bring back the 70's when they had much less grip and even someone with a Jag 6cyl well set up could give one of the big Chevvies and Fords a run for their money! It's interesting that on the shale tracks you get more "tale out" racing from the F2s than the F1s these days! I can remember very well Graham Blundell holding off Smithy for the whole of a heat at the 'Vue one Saturday night in the late 70s, both of them on opposite lock half way down the straight and everything in front of them being "moved" out of the way, Graham got a standing ovation for that race and his Mum told me after Stu had come over to him in the pits to congratulate him but ask that he didn't do the same in the final! Those were the days1

(Can't say I am a fan of those contraption on the roof either, the early smaller ones on the back were ok but those things... Yuck! An American import that I'd like to send back to them! Someone last year was racing an F2 without one and it looked so much neater... Rant over!0

IIRC, Dave Taylor #30 was one of the last users of the Jag engine - with the V12.

Fastest shale race at Belle Vue I ever saw was when Willie Harrison won the World Final

• Like 1

Square-ish car painted in purple or dark blue?

We had a local guy, friend of Grahams I believe that raced the 6cyl for a time and di ok. I can remember one of the mags of the time showing how you could build a lightweight car using the Jag engine and some sort of commercial chassis, that would have been around '76 I think. I'd rather not think what would have happened if it would have the jam in between two of the more "robust" chassis of the time! Said friend also made a space frame chassis (along the lines of the top F2 chassis of that era but bigged up to cope with F1) but nothing came of that as most people stuck to the rather cruder ladder frame which was the "way" of that time.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hobby said:

Square-ish car painted in purple or dark blue?

We had a local guy, friend of Grahams I believe that raced the 6cyl for a time and di ok. I can remember one of the mags of the time showing how you could build a lightweight car using the Jag engine and some sort of commercial chassis, that would have been around '76 I think. I'd rather not think what would have happened if it would have the jam in between two of the more "robust" chassis of the time! Said friend also made a space frame chassis (along the lines of the top F2 chassis of that era but bigged up to cope with F1) but nothing came of that as most people stuck to the rather cruder ladder frame which was the "way" of that time.

I seem to remember the first well known space frame F1 chassis was built by Chris Elwell #501

347073446_afbb7efdac.jpg

Really must stop this trip down memory lane...…..

• Like 1

Still Formula 1, though just not 2019! ;)

This space frame was in the mid '70s, it was around the time that all the top drivers in F2 were using them and out performing the older chassis. Having said that F2's in those days was far ahead of F1 in terms of handling witnessed by an F2 running rings round an F1 at White City Manchester one Saturday night... Nowadays the F1s have so much grip it's the other way round!

Dave Taylor: (The transported should be in the Old Vehicle Thread!!) According to someone's comments it was the one with the 4.2 jag engine.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep - that's the Dave Taylor referred to - from Essex, so not often seen on the Northern tracks.

Just had a look at the transporters facebook page - lots of memories.

There was a decent batch of ex-Yelloway  Duple bodied coaches that were converted to carry stockers.

I have a Britbus model to chop up at some point to recreate one for the layout.

We had a Ford D300 with open ramp at the back.

http://photos.stoxnet.com/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pid=4054#top_display_media

I painted this.

http://photos.stoxnet.com/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pid=4053#top_display_media

It was the ex-Allan Barker 179 car - that *may* have been raced before that by Dave Chisholm.

Must stop going O/T......

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, newbryford said:

Yep - that's the Dave Taylor referred to - from Essex, so not often seen on the Northern tracks.

Just had a look at the transporters facebook page - lots of memories.

There was a decent batch of ex-Yelloway  Duple bodied coaches that were converted to carry stockers.

I have a Britbus model to chop up at some point to recreate one for the layout.

We had a Ford D300 with open ramp at the back.

http://photos.stoxnet.com/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pid=4054#top_display_media

I painted this.

http://photos.stoxnet.com/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pid=4053#top_display_media

It was the ex-Allan Barker 179 car - that *may* have been raced before that by Dave Chisholm.

Must stop going O/T......

The links come up 'Does not exist.'