The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

• RMweb Gold

A great race!

A couple of observations.

Max drove an exceptional race and actually a very mature drive.

Lewis was severely let down by his team, but the safety car timings did not work out for him at the right time. Has worked the other way for him in the past, so bad luck this weekend. Certainly showed plenty of pace early on and a shame that he could not do battle with Max. Would have been quite telling.

Seb had a good race, with no mistakes, for a change. However did seem to struggle a little in the wet conditions and showed more pace on a drying track. Did well cutting through the field though in the wet.

Valteri slightly unlucky with the wet track.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Unlucky for Leclerc and Bottas though.

Yes, agreed.

Interesting comment from Ben Edwards in the C4 highlight show about that particular corner having a patch of very smooth tarmac which would account for the number of issues in the wet.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I suppose Lewis's issue was crashing right by the pit entry. If it had been a few corners earlier his team would have been ready to receive him. As it was, the team had no time to react.

If you watch the Team Radio video on the Offical F1 YouTube channel they only just confirmed he wanted Inters when he got in the Pit Lane. Lewis being more worried about crossing the track safely at that point then answering Bonno.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

One thing I've been wondering....

When Lewis came into the pits following his collision with the wall (having gone the wrong side of the bollard), the wheel gunners had his old wheels off pretty quickly, then found the nose and the replacement tyres weren't ready.

What if they'd pre-empted Lewis's penalty by not touching the car for five seconds, while they caught their breath, found the right tyres and the front wing? Would the stewards have recognised this as serving the penalty, even before it was officially issued (rather like when a driver accidentally cuts the track and gains a place so gives the place back again to avoid a penalty).

Five seconds to calm the pit crew down and find the right parts would probably have resulted in a much quicker stop for Lewis overall.

That said five seconds does seem harsh considering it's the same penalty Vettel got for forcing Lewis off the track in Canada and for driving into him in Baku a few years back.

Edited by RJS1977
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mudmagnet said:

Interesting comment from Ben Edwards in the C4 highlight show about that particular corner having a patch of very smooth tarmac which would account for the number of issues in the wet.

The "patch of very smooth tarmac" is not part of the circuit and not responsible for an issues. It is the drag strip that runs down alongside the F1 circuit and formed part of the run-off. If the drivers didn't want an "issues", then they just had to stay on the actual race circuit. The tarmac being smooth is not the issue on the drag strip, it is the amount of rubber laid down on it. When this gets wet, it becomes incredibly slippery, just like driving on slicks in the rain. In the dry and fully prepped, the thing is the grippiest track you will ever experience. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, 57xx said:

The "patch of very smooth tarmac" is not part of the circuit and not responsible for an issues. It is the drag strip that runs down alongside the F1 circuit and formed part of the run-off. If the drivers didn't want an "issues", then they just had to stay on the actual race circuit. The tarmac being smooth is not the issue on the drag strip, it is the amount of rubber laid down on it. When this gets wet, it becomes incredibly slippery, just like driving on slicks in the rain. In the dry and fully prepped, the thing is the grippiest track you will ever experience. 

Build a temporary CONCRETE block wall between the outside of the Track and the Drag Strip and I'm sure you'll find the drivers being a bit more cautious, aka Monaco or the Wall of Champions in Canada.:D

Edited by Andrew P
add words
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

What they'd pre-empted Lewis's penalty by not touching the car for five seconds,

It's a nice thought but I doubt it would work! For one thing that is the Team saying "we think that it should be a 5 sec penalty", that decision is for the stewards, not for them. What happens if the Stewards decide on a 10 sec penalty, would that be split (5 secs already done?)!

The tyre team seem to be split into two parts, tyre removal and tyre fitting, the first did their job, the second had issues because they didn't know which tyres to go for! I think it's just one of those things, sh*t happens! No doubt they'll analyse it and learn from it but I suspect every team on the pit lane would have reacted the same way.

• Agree 4

15 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

One thing I've been wondering....

When Lewis came into the pits following his collision with the wall (having gone the wrong side of the bollard), the wheel gunners had his old wheels off pretty quickly, then found the nose and the replacement tyres weren't ready.

What they'd pre-empted Lewis's penalty by not touching the car for five seconds, while they caught their breath, found the right tyres and the front wing? Would the stewards have recognised this as serving the penalty, even before it was officially issued (rather like when a driver accidentally cuts the track and gains a place so gives the place back again to avoid a penalty).

Five seconds to calm the pit crew down and find the right parts would probably have resulted in a much quicker stop for Lewis overall.

That said five seconds does seem harsh considering it's the same penalty Vettel got for forcing Lewis off the track in Canada and for driving into him in Baku a few years back.

It's fair in the sense it would have been a blanket penalty applied to all. 

Nominating your own penalty in that instance is certainly a can of worms and I think we'll see it happen in the future, bit in the past it would have taken the perfect storm of the holy trinity of Schumacher, Ferrari, and Ferrari International Assistance for it to be accepted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Build a temporary CONCRETE block wall between the outside of the Track and the Drag Strip and I'm sure you'll find the drivers being a bit more cautious, aka Monaco or the Wall of Champions in Canada.:D

That was going to be be my come-back if anyone challenged my opinion on the drivers having to make sure they stay on the circuit. :D If they reckon the drag strip is a "problem" (I believe LeClunk voiced his disgust of the lack of grip on the drag strip, can't see why it would be any different to wet grass on other circuits...) then they can leave up the concrete barrier that is normally there for the drag races, they will soon learn to respect track limits.

This is a good view of what the circuit looks like when in drag mode:

You can clearly see Turn 15/16 on the left and the gravel trap and barriers they hit on the right. In the dry, they will abuse the hell out of the drag strip, knowing it is very grippy. Where have all the complaints about that run-off in previous years been?

The FIA think it is fine: 

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/926191/1/fia-insists-hockenheim-drag-strip-runoff-fine

"Even Vettel has been quoted as saying that it is normally one of the grippiest parts of the track".

• Like 3

It would be interesting to know what would have happened if there was grass there instead of the drag strip run off. Obviously something we'd never know but would the F1 cars have had more grip on wet grass?

It was interesting to see that their tyres got coated with what could best be described as soap suds when they got on this area.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned many times before, the drivers know the track limits. They often 'push / exceed' these limits to their advantage. Having significant consequences of exceeding these limits is perhaps the only way for them to drive within the track limits. How many times have there been spins in the wet when driving over the painted track limits?

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

Maybe best to just pour some gravel over it when the Grand Prix's on - it can be brushed/scraped away easily enough afterwards. 

As the surface of the circuit track is the same height as the drag strip, you'd end up with gravel dunes which the cars would hit rather than run across. If there had been a race meeting before the F1 event, it would also not be easy to cleanup as the tracks are very tacky.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

As mentioned many times before, the drivers know the track limits. They often 'push / exceed' these limits to their advantage. Having significant consequences of exceeding these limits is perhaps the only way for them to drive within the track limits.

Of course they know the limits, but in this case it wasn't a question of them pushing them, it was a question of them getting caught out on that corner. Of course they could "ease off" but that's not what any decent racing driver will do, especially as they'd done the same thing previous laps and hadn't gone off...

Yes we could go back to the Good Old Days when men were men and racing drivers were killed every weekend and put a concrete wall there (I suspect behind that hoarding there is one!) but times have changed and we like to keep our drivers at least alive these days. The whole point with a run off area is to stop the driver hitting the wall so hard that he does himself a lot of harm, in the dry it's fine but in the wet it doesn't work so there's an issue. Perhaps they should speak to the Japanese who seem to have more wet races than everyone else for advice! Or, more likely, they won't do anything...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Well done Max, fantastic lap.

Yes indeed, and Bottas pulled out a good one when it mattered, VB just needs to keep it on the Black stuff tomorrow, even if Lewis beats him, otherwise his P45 will be in the post soon.

Talking of P45's, I recon Gasley's has been typed out and is ready to send, BUT I'm not sure Daniel Kyvat is good enough to move back up. I'd like to Estaban Ocon in that seat.

Great drive from George Russel, he has show he is No 1 in the Team with 12 strait qualies ahead of his Team Mate.

Lando Norris is really biting at the top 6 drivers heals now, and it's well deserved IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3