The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

2 hours ago, EddieB said:

Or indeed a four-way tussle, if George Russell is given a competitive car, having finished top of the F2 standings (ahead of Norris and Albon) last year.  Make that five if Esteban Ocon finally gets a look in.

Certainly there's a large pool of talent coming through.

But how often have we thought that about drivers and they've disappeared from F1 in a couple of years - many of them now (or have been) in Formula E!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

It doesn't look good for Gasley getting lapped by his winning team mate and it's getting embarrassing for Kubica!

Poor Kubica was good in his heyday, but after his mishap he struggled to be taken seriously again at F1 level. And having finally got a drive, I'm afraid cars and drivers have moved on.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Poor Kubica was good in his heyday, but after his mishap he struggled to be taken seriously again at F1 level. And having finally got a drive, I'm afraid cars and drivers have moved on.

He is one of the tallest in F1 so the chassis and cockpit don’t exactly suit him.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I’d be interested to see him in a competitive car, is he genuinely unable to drive properly still, or is the Williams just that awful. 

I wonders if he he regrets his return!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, EddieB said:

Or indeed a four-way tussle, if George Russell is given a competitive car, having finished top of the F2 standings (ahead of Norris and Albon) last year...

Remember, it's never what you did before F1, it's what you actually achieve once there. It can be very cruel, I have lost count of the number of most of the now forgotten new entrants who arrived touted as 'the future' and shortly after disappeared. Some of them were presumably capable, but never got the chance to put the goods fully on display. Norris has caught an early break, hit the ground running and getting results that evaded Fred last season. Russell who? What's an Albon?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Kingzance said:

He is one of the tallest in F1 so the chassis and cockpit don’t exactly suit him.

They'll have done the work to ensure he fits! There have been plenty of other tall drivers that have succeeded...

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Remember, it's never what you did before F1, it's what you actually achieve once there. It can be very cruel, I have lost count of the number of most of the now forgotten new entrants who arrived touted as 'the future' and shortly after disappeared. Some of them were presumably capable, but never got the chance to put the goods fully on display. Norris has caught an early break, hit the ground running and getting results that evaded Fred last season. Russell who? What's an Albon?

And some can have the opportunity, but just not shine as brightly as expected on the biggest stage/against the toughest opponents.

Happens in any sport - there have been many cricketers with impeccable records in county cricket who have failed miserably on the international stage.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Hobby said:

They'll have done the work to ensure he fits! There have been plenty of other tall drivers that have succeeded...

That is true but the present designs with halos and all the other clutter makes today’s cars more restricted. One of my tv appearances came a few years back whilst getting same driver out of car after he spun off at Farm on the old Silverstone layout, what a miserable git he was!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

And another thing.

Why do youngsters like Gasley think it's cool to have a scruffy beard?

5 minutes ago, Hobby said:

They all do it at that age... No doubt tattoos as well...

I have to admit, I had a Noel Edmunds,:o, (well it seemed cool to me at the time, and he was an ICON!) in the 70's, well I guess I thought it was cool, before that I had a Goatie!:nono:

891461494_Honda150002.JPG.638f1b592f93e7a2ddafad068333dfd6.JPG

350981447_Honda150003.JPG.b6f51ebb0ad18f730c575b2223c7e656.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 minutes ago, Hobby said:

It is not always that simple.

McLaren struggled to fit Mansell in their car. Their car was not so good at the time. Was this because they compromised in other areas in order to fit him? Within the tight margins of F1, a few mm can make the difference between winning & coming 5th.

I wonder if a team has ever refused to sign someone because they were too tall for the car?

• Like 3

I don't know if it has happened, but it may well have done. Until a rule change either this year or last, weight restrictions were based on the weight of car + driver, not just the weight of the car. As tall slim drivers tend to weigh more than short slim drivers, this disincentivised teams from taking on taller drivers, just as there are no 6' jockeys...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

For an existing car perhaps, but if the car is new for the season which they often are it will have been designed for the drivers who will drive it so a tall driver will fit as it's designed around him... I suspect that no team would want to refuse to take on a driver good enough to drive at the top simply because of their build (tall or round!)...

"At 186cm, Alexander Albon is the tallest driver on the 2019 Formula 1 grid, while Lando Norris is the shortest driver this year at 170cm. Overall, the 2019 grid is 8cm taller than last year’s grid. Gangly Frenchman Esteban Ocon may have departed, but he’s been replaced by four drivers (Albon, Giovinazzi, Russell and Kubica) of a similar height."

http://www.lightsoutblog.com/2019/01/21/2019-tallest-f1-team-is/

Edited by Hobby
  • Informative/Useful 2

Not necessarily.

Cars can take several years to design. If you watch the Gordon Murray documentary, when he arrived at McLaren in the early 80s, the engine was a fraction too tall to work with what he had in mind & as a result, the car was not competitive. It took a year to get this changed & it transformed the car.

That was an engine. You can't do anything with a driver.

IIRC Kubica was not signed until late last summer, which is pretty late in the design process of an F1 car.

Who knows what went on at Didcot? It could well have been that some of the designers were very frustrated with compromises which needed to be made to fit him in...& these would likely not have been involved with any choice about which driver to sign.

That is all hypothetical. It could just be that Kubica is not the driver he was. I remember hearing last season that he has permanently lost some movement in one of his arms. Surely that must be a problem?

My guess is that he brings lots of Zlotys with him to the team.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

...I wonder if a team has ever refused to sign someone because they were too tall for the car?

But that comes well after the natural filtering process in the sport that favours the lean, compact, athletic build. Given equal ability in other respects, the physically smaller and lighter driver has intrinsic advantage.

• Agree 1

With respect, chaps, if the next "Lewis Hamilton" turned out to be over 6ft I doubt very much if they'd turn him away because he's too tall. They would adapt the car. No team is going to cut off their nose to spite their face. They didn't in the past (there have been top drivers over 190mm (over 6ft 2ins) and if they are good enough there will be again. Sometimes people read too much into things.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/06/2019 at 20:39, Andrew P said:

Or in Hondas case now, just crossing the line will do.:D

in first place .... ;) 

Some result for Honda and RB, first season with a new engine and already up there challenging for wins. Looks like the reported problems that McLaren were imposing on Honda with their packaging of the engine(s) was true ... Having said that McLaren seem more than happy to be #1 Renault powered team LOL

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

in first place .... ;) 

Some result for Honda and RB, first season with a new engine and already up there challenging for wins. Looks like the reported problems that McLaren were imposing on Honda with their packaging of the engine(s) was true ... Having said that McLaren seem more than happy to be #1 Renault powered team LOL

Yes, a far cry from the Woking era of a few years back. And, equally yes, evidently Woking packaging works for the Renault engine. I wonder how long Mr Grumpy Abiteboul will manage to keep his works team plates spinning, when a customer goes faster, further, better?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

In F1 there’s always the comparison against team-mates to provide a benchmark.  George Russell has consistently out-qualified and finished ahead of Kubica, which suggests he could perform rather better in a decent car.  (Shame Massa isn’t still there to provide a better comparison - it could be argued that out-performing Kubica isn’t much harder than Perez consistently beating Stroll, but that’s starting to become a bit unkind). Could be interesting to do comparisons if and when there’s the next bout of testing (Hungary?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hobby said:

With respect, chaps, if the next "Lewis Hamilton" turned out to be over 6ft I doubt very much if they'd turn him away because he's too tall. They would adapt the car. No team is going to cut off their nose to spite their face. They didn't in the past (there have been top drivers over 190mm (over 6ft 2ins) and if they are good enough there will be again. Sometimes people read too much into things.

Yes, but depending on the design, it may take 18-24 months to change the design of the car if required.

We were talking about Kubica, who was signed mid-late last year?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Realistically though, the Williams is poor but they have gained all the kudos for giving him a chance. Even a Lewis or Seb standard driver would be unlikely to score points, so what have they got to lose? Apparently Kubica has been fantastic at helping them move forward, albeit slowly. 

Roy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, EddieB said:

In F1 there’s always the comparison against team-mates to provide a benchmark.  George Russell has consistently out-qualified and finished ahead of Kubica, which suggests he could perform rather better in a decent car.  (Shame Massa isn’t still there to provide a better comparison - it could be argued that out-performing Kubica isn’t much harder than Perez consistently beating Stroll, but that’s starting to become a bit unkind). Could be interesting to do comparisons if and when there’s the next bout of testing (Hungary?)

What comparison is there to say Kubica isn’t good and Russell exceptional though? Russell was beating Norris & Albon in lower formula, is that gap any bigger than his to Kubica? Unless they are timed in the same car under near identical conditions it’s impossible to be sure on these comparisons. Kubica doesn’t appear to be driving particularly badly, unlike some in faster cars have, just slower than Russell. 

How do I have no idea but none of the pundits seems to be questioning Kubica’s ability like this. 

• Like 1