The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I wasn't going from any 2nd hand news reports.

The radio comms between Vettel & the team were played on TV. He clearly said "I saw him but I had nowhere else to go".

The radio clip I heard was Vettel saying "I didn't even see him" or something to that effect...

I'm not sure where I sit. I think making him cede the position would have been better, but would have needed to be done immediately. Had there not been a wall there Lewis would have been through. Had Lewis not have taken evasive action they'd have crashed. Vettel made the error. Those three things make me think that some action did need to happen.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Having now looked at C4's F1 Highlights programme, my initial reaction was that SB was rather harshly judged. However, I then looked at Autosport's website which gives a more in depth analysis of the reasons for the Steward's decision.

https://www.autosport.com/

Thanks for this - well worth reading and nails it for the stewards' decision and shows Vettel is being rather economical with the truth. The in-car views show:

He definitely saw Lewis, and looked in his mirror more than once on leaving the grass.

He had gained control of the car and was heading to the left, but then allowed the car to drift right, to cut Lewis off.

It will be interesting to see how Ferrari appeal against that evidence.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I find it more interesting that Hamilton has said he would have done the same thing if the roles were reversed.

I expect very few Drivers in front would have done differently in the same situation. All would want to get back on the track and not loose their position.

It's all split second decision stuff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

He's just being honest about it. They try it on and sometimes they get away with it. What is more interesting us what Hamilton DIDN'T say. Would he have reacted like Vettel... There was a simple solution for Vettel, make sure he was 6 secs ahead... But he couldn't because he wasnt fast enough. Perfectly valid win for Hamilton.

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 4

17 minutes ago, Hobby said:

There was a simple solution for Vettel, make sure he was 6 secs ahead

Or, prior to the incident, learn how to defend effectively - see Hamilton, Monaco, 2019.

(And yes, I know it's rather easier at Monaco due to the nature of the track, but it's also a lot easier to make a terminal mistake there, which Lewis avoided doing.)

• Agree 4

More then likely he would because I doubt any driver would be happy getting a penalty. Lewis is just as prone to being upset when things don't go his way.

Although, would Vettel have gotten a penalty if there wasn't a wall there? Then Lewis would have kept his foot in as there wouldn't have been a risk of crashing. Then it would depend on how much Vettle contined to squeeze and they would have ran side by side down the next straight.

It's a natual reaction of any racer to attept to stay ahead in that situation. That there was a wall there and he made his opponent take avoiding action by his actions is the cause of the penalty.

Is the penalty wrong or not is irrelevant, it has been given due to the circumstances and the evidence at hand.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

But that's not what he was penalised for, according to the stewards: it was the unsafe way in which he rejoined the track.  And Vettel's plea in mitigation - which makes some sense in that context - was that he didn't have any choice, due to the configuration of the track in that location...

Once off the track, it's a different rule set, whether the car is under driver control or not. That's all that matters in terms of Vettel incurring a penalty, because clearly enough rejoining the track was unsafe. The driver obeying the rules in the incident gets the benefit over the one breaking the rule, quite properly

I was however surprised at a fixed time penalty being applied. Requiring Vettel to cede the lead to Hamilton would have been just as effective, and might have resulted in closer racing and his reclaiming the lead, and also would not so seriously disadvantage Vettel with respect to other drivers, who were not directly affected by the off track excursion. I would hope that the stewards adjust their thinking to keep that in mind for any similar future incidents.

6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

BREAKING NEWS.

VETTEL TO STEP DOWN AT SUMMER BREAK.:o

Well it's only a wild prediction from me, heheh.:laugh:

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:39, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Vettel retires at end of season,

My marker, wot I got in gud and urly.

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:56, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

...What we have learned over the years: Vettel ... When closely followed by another championship calibre driver he falls off the track.

He's got potentially fourteen more events in which to demonstrate this endearing characteristic. He's a farm boy I believe? Probably feels more at home on the grass...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Wasn't it Canada some years back when Jenson harried him - though not as closely as Lewis - and Vettel spun?

Yup, it certainly was.

The day Jensen went frae first to last...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

53 minutes ago, iak said:

Yup, it certainly was.

The day Jensen went frae first to last...

And last to first in a hares breath.

The Vet spun on the last lap, I think he kicked his tyres that day as well.

• Funny 1

All his toys are gone, time for his big nappy next time!!. :cray_mini::nowinkclear:

Le Clerc is becoming a star driver in more ways than one,  with his professional attitude to Ferrari's antics is to be applauded. One for Mercedes next season ?.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

He certainly is if the radio message he gave following the race is anything to go by. Not worreid at all by the fact he was only then being told of Vettel's penilty and that he could have got 2nd. He was more worried about saying that it was a shame and that the team had worked really hard.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Wasn't it Canada some years back when Jenson harried him - though not as closely as Lewis - and Vettel spun?

One of the greatest (and longest) races of all time!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Actually the biggest brat/cry baby of the weekend was Kevin Magnussen.  After wrecking his car in Q2, his mechanics worked through the night to get him onto the pit lane for the start. Thanks? No, just a gripe that the car wasn’t quick enough.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

7 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

So is there now no requirement to put your car in Parc ferme? 

He's lucky not to have been flat disqualified imho

Neither did he appear to go through the weighing scales on his (eventual) way to the podium lounge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I would love to ken what is happening in the Ferrari garage at the moment.

The #1 (?) driver is behaving like a spoilt child.

The new, quick and younger driver keeps getting dumped on.

Then you have a car which appears to have rather large weaknesses which keep mucking things up.

The future weeks will have some significant entertainment value...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2