The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

13 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

And after two (short) weeks of testing, Vettel sets fastest time - by three thousands of a second from Hamilton. Leclerc is within a hundreth, too. This season will not be a disappointment, it seems.   

I can't think of anything more disappointing than yet another year of Mercedes and Ferrari.

Come on anyone else. McLaren, Renault, Red Bull... Anyone. Please.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

I can't think of anything more disappointing than yet another year of Mercedes and Ferrari.

Come on anyone else. McLaren, Renault, Red Bull... Anyone. Please.

Think budgets.  

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Talking to a friend last night was very revealing, he works for Red Bull. All is not quite what it seems - as is always the case with pre-season testing.

It seems Hamilton is pretty close to the mark when he says Ferrari are about 0.5sec ahead of Mercedes.  Anyway the b******t stops in two weeks time at Melbourne and then we will see who really has pace and who has flattered to deceive.

I hope we will get the odd flash of inspiration from teams other than Ferrari or Mercedes otherwise it will become very processional again.

Edited by Richard E
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 28/02/2019 at 20:14, Mike Storey said:

I am certainly not going to put any more sovs into the funds of the ghastly Murdoch Oligarchs.

The Murdochs no longer own any part of Sky plc: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_(company)

"...after a bidding war that included The Walt Disney Company (which was, in turn, acquiring most of 21st Century Fox), U.S. media and telecoms conglomerate Comcast acquired the entirety of Sky in 2018 for £17.28 per-share."

Whether that removes the objections that some have expressed to paying to watch live F1 in the UK is up to them.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I was also quite surprised to find out how many battery packs one team take for just two cars. The packs arrived back from Spain today and were supposed to be tested and their way to Australia on Monday morning.

• Informative/Useful 2

It's interesting, but the fact is that downforce is still being generated aerodynamically, so there is still turbulence behind the car. So now we design to dump the turbulence higher up. There are still going to be effects. The summed turbulence of a group  of closely following cars may result in someone a little further behind the group getting a real dose. In wet conditions, quite possibly a veritable cloud creating a vision hazard.

Maybe the bright guys and gals can fix it all. But turbulence is difficult...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It's interesting, but the fact is that downforce is still being generated aerodynamically, so there is still turbulence behind the car. So now we design to dump the turbulence higher up. There are still going to be effects. The summed turbulence of a group  of closely following cars may result in someone a little further behind the group getting a real dose. In wet conditions, quite possibly a veritable cloud creating a vision hazard.

Maybe the bright guys and gals can fix it all. But turbulence is difficult...

Fit a Turbulence Bag to the top of the rear wing to catch it, and dispose of it later,:taunt:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

16 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Ultimate insult yesterday (and probably at other times): Sky advertising their F1 packages on Channel 4.

I'll still wait for the C4 highlights, and still enjoy the presentation I hope, especially if Lea McKenzie is still doing the rounds, wonderful eyes, and that voice, WOW.:dance:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I'll still wait for the C4 highlights, and still enjoy the presentation I hope, especially if Lea McKenzie is still doing the rounds, wonderful eyes, and that voice, WOW.:dance:

Steady. So will I, but not particularly for that reason....... This is a public forum Andy!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

57 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

This is not new news, I recall? But Williams must be pleased with their improvement from last year, despite everything. Reliability, albeit reports of bits falling off during testing, has not been the issue as was last year. I would guess that they have an evens chance of not finishing last this time.

• RMweb Premium

That is an interesting dynamic, quite often see RB pit late, once they've cemented 5/6th and smash out a fast lap. Can't see it'll make much difference over a season, but you never know.

If anyone feels like indulging in some Fantasy F1 I've created a league on Grid Rival. I did it last year, bit of fun:

https://gridrival.com/grid/myleagues/league/103157

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

And now a Point for the fastest Lap as well

Trivial with respect to the championship. Yes it's a point, but realistically it's a point for a non-contending team/driver in any given race to grab. The method would be a late well timed tyre change aiming to get a mighty tow with DRS deployed over the start/finish line (probably by cooperating team mate) into a traffic free lap window for an all out effort, on nearly new tyres selected on the basis of maximum grip for that day's conditions, and the car with a light fuel load, engine mode turned up to 11 and possibly front wing effect backed off a little for lower drag. Yawn. Yes we know you can go much faster with multiple factors in optimum state. Who do we think will most enjoy this chance to take it to the max?

• Like 4