The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2019

MarkC

• RMweb Premium

So, another year dawns. Not long until Melbourne, really.

What can we expect this year? My money is on interesting times at Ferrari - how will Vettel react to his new teammate? Le Clerc's got some serious potential - will the red cars be too busy infighting to keep up with Mercedes and Red Bull?

Regarding Mercedes - will we see Lewis simply marching on? He certainly finished strongly last season. Can Bottas improve? His star seemed to be falling towards the end of last term, which was a shame.

Then there's Red Bull - interesting times there too. How will Max fare this year?

As for the rest of the grid - what can we expect? There's not been too much speculation in the media as yet, but once testing starts then we will have a better idea.

As things stand, the odds must be with Lewis achieving his 6th title - but we will see.

• Like 2

So, another year dawns. Not long until Melbourne, really.

What can we expect this year? My money is on interesting times at Ferrari - how will Vettel react to his new teammate? Le Clerc's got some serious potential - will the red cars be too busy infighting to keep up with Mercedes and Red Bull?

Regarding Mercedes - will we see Lewis simply marching on? He certainly finished strongly last season. Can Bottas improve? His star seemed to be falling towards the end of last term, which was a shame.

Then there's Red Bull - interesting times there too. How will Max fare this year?

As for the rest of the grid - what can we expect? There's not been too much speculation in the media as yet, but once testing starts then we will have a better idea.

As things stand, the odds must be with Lewis achieving his 6th title - but we will see.

Let's see how these predictions pan out:

- I think it will be a close 3 way fight between Verstappen, Hamilton and Vettel, with Hamilton coming out on top but probably not until the penultimate race

- Renault will win 1 race due to weather/extreme circumstances

- Williams will stay routed to the bottom of the grid but both drivers will stay around for another year 

- McLaren will finish 5th in championship with 1 podium for Sainz.

- Force India will go backwards and Perez will wipe the floor with Stroll

- Ferrari will fall short again, expect Vettel to have the better hand over Leclerc but only just.

- Raikonnen will beat Giovannizzi comprehensively, scoring at least 10 points for each one Giovannizzi scores.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I think Red Bull are in for a tough time, and Ricciardo may have the laugh on them. Honda is better than it was, but not that much better.

Ferrari cannot sustain another comic season. Someone will get a grip, I suspect, and make it work. Good for all of us.

Mercedes have the capacity to cream it again. But they can look shaky at times.

I agree Force India will slip back. Sacking the former race director was such a good idea - not.

Many of us will not see a live race. Liberty is hardly improving things for anyone right now. And they have real issues to address. Will knives be out there when they fail to make changes, fail to turn it into the bigger gravy-train they thought is could be?

• Like 2

I must confess to a serious downgrade of interest in F1 recently, and the shift to paid-only TV means that I can only watch one race live this year. Formula E for me from now on methinks.

Anyway, for what it’s worth:

-Mercedes and Ferrari will dominate. Leclerc will have the edge on Vettel at the scuderia IMHO and Seb May have to watch his back next year if results are poor.

-Red Bull will have made a good move getting involved with Honda, but the difficulties of integrating a new engine into their chassis will mean that once again their better results will come later in the year.

-Riccardo will be pushed harder than he expects by Hulkenburg at Renault, wouldn’t be surprised to see a race win (certainly a podium) for each of them in 2019.

- Haas and force India will fight it out for best of the rest. Probably with force India coming out on top. Perez will probably beat Stroll who nonetheless needs to spring a surprise in results (another podium on merit for instance) in order to prove he belongs in F1. Grosjean to leave Haas at the end of 2019 to make way for a youngster (possibly Mick Schumacher if he enjoys a decent F2 campaign)

-Williams, McLaren and Sauber to possibly spring the occasional upset result. But as they’re all still rebuilding from their worst ever years (Sauber began this admirably last year) then don’t expect the world from them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Right... my thoughts:

- Hamilton to win

- Bottas to be a good, if underwhelming, number 2 and be replaced by Ocon for 2020

- Leclerc to take a few races to cement his position, making silly mistakes through trying too hard early on, but to beat Seb in the second half of the season.

- Seb to get very angry with this and make silly mistakes in a role-reversal

- Arrivabene to scowl a lot and look angry

- Red Bull to have too many engine failures but get some good wins and capitalise on Ferrari’s in-fighting to run them close in the constructors championship

- Renault a solid 4th, Ricciardo to consistently out perform the Hulk, but both to do well with some strong results

- Sauber 5th, all by Raikkonen, Giovannizzzzzzzi to stuff it into the wall in China again

- Force India 6th, all by Perez as Stroll underwhelms. Again.

- Haas and Toro Rosso to lose ground over last season

- Last place battle between McLaren and Williams as the sorry tale continues.

- The Kubica fairytale to not live up to the hype, with him never being more than a back marker, more through having a rubbish car

Edited by njee20
  • Like 3

My predictions for 2019.

That the BBC will update their web pages to reflect the 2019 line-ups no earlier than three weeks into the New Year...

Another championship for Lewis, after a less than dominant start to the season (again). Seb will continue as chief bridesmaid, Valtteri in third place.

Max and Seb getting flustered by highly competent team-mates. Overall, the Honda package will let Red Bull down, with few if any toys left in the Verstappen pram. However, both will finish ahead of their team-mates.

Renault are best of the rest - by some margin as their nearest challenger has only one proper driver. The two Renault drivers finish the season close together (Ricciardo slightly ahead), despite different ways of accumulating points.

Giovanazzi to do better than others here have predicted, getting into the points in two of the first five races (though still behind Kimi in qualifying and racing).

The two Hass drivers continue to play mean pinball in the middle of the pack.

Sadly Kubica cannot replicate his earlier talent, and struggles in an inferior car.

Albon to win the battle of the rookies, by virtue of a more competitive car, but finishes behind Kvyat - who, for a while, looks a decent driver. (Until the wheels come off again).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Think I'll just wait and see... We can discuss the drivers 'til the cows come home but the unknown quantity is whether the manufacturers have something up their sleeves...

Predictions don’t generally work in retrospect ;)

I can't see anything stopping Hamilton apart from apathy when he gets bored with no competition.

Ferrari will struggle to recover after they tailed off last season and Vettel will start reminding them his contract says 'No1 driver in team'.

Horner will be heard muttering 'the Renault engine wasn't so bad after all...'.

Renault, Hass, Sauber and a struggling Red Bull in mid table.

Racing Point and Torro Rosso too good for McLaren and Williams at the back of the field and Kubica lasts no more than 5 races.

I enjoy watching numerous sports and have no issue with subscriptions so can happily watch every race as they're included in my package :)

• Like 3

WOW I missed the start of this years fun and frollics report.

Like most, I think it will be Lewis on the top step, BUT I'm also still VERY surprissed that Vettle hasn't announced his retirement over the winter break, that has been my prediction since the end of last season. He will be easily beaten by Lewis and may also be demoted down the pecking order by a re vitalised Bottas, Leclerc and Max.

Danny R should not be discounted for a win, maybe Monaco again, but I don't think the Renaults will be as fast as the Red Bulls, Hass, Racing Point, or Toro Rosso. 

I hope the New British Boys have some positive results, and again, like others I don't think Robert Kubica will do that well, and maybe not even a full season.

I don't think Arravabenny? (Mr Scowl) will be on the Red Cars Pit wall this year, another reason I think Seb will quit sooner rather than later.

I also hope that C4 can be bothered to update their Web Page, after all we know Stroll is driving for his Dad now. https://f1.channel4.com/

Roll on Testing, and then Race 1 highlights on C4.

• Like 3

Thank god for BTCC .

As to F1 sadly a dying swan without radical change to how finances are administered. Live F1 is sadly not a serious loss , I actually got to the stage last season as too looking at the results before I even considered even bothering watching highlights or not as the ( 99% predicatable) results panned out.

Edited by micklner

WOW I missed the start of this years fun and frollics report.

Like most, I think it will be Lewis on the top step, BUT I'm also still VERY surprissed that Vettle hasn't announced his retirement over the winter break, that has been my prediction since the end of last season. He will be easily beaten by Lewis and may also be demoted down the pecking order by a re vitalised Bottas, Leclerc and Max.

Danny R should not be discounted for a win, maybe Monaco again, but I don't think the Renaults will be as fast as the Red Bulls, Hass, Racing Point, or Toro Rosso. 

I hope the New British Boys have some positive results, and again, like others I don't think Robert Kubica will do that well, and maybe not even a full season.

I don't think Arravabenny? (Mr Scowl) will be on the Red Cars Pit wall this year, another reason I think Seb will quit sooner rather than later.

I also hope that C4 can be bothered to update their Web Page, after all we know Stroll is driving for his Dad now. https://f1.channel4.com/

Roll on Testing, and then Race 1 highlights on C4.

As predicted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1

• Like 2

My crystal ball tells me that cars will circulate at high speed around a number of circuits several times over the coming year.

I expect Lewis will win the title again, and I hope someone (anyone!) will push him to the finish line so the last race means something.

I'll be watching Danny R, because he's my favourite driver, but I don't expect great things from Renault this year, so being in the mix for a podium a few times is probably the best he can hope for. Might get a win if the stars align, but probably not.

Ferrari (vettel Vs leclerc) would be interesting to watch, if I could be bothered with them, but I just don't like Ferrari so never mind.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...