Exley?

Prometheus

The bodies look to be Exley but the underframes are certainly not the standard Exley I know of and have. The Exleys I have are built with the Cleminson (spelling ?) system as real life with the centre wheels slid across by spring wire when the outer sets turn slightly.

The roof shape looks to be the LMS version as my GWR ones have a flatter shape with a pronounced lip over the edge but Exley did do a few variations of colours to bodyshell shape.

The wheels look to be Exley with a small metal axle in a plastic wheel. The underfame does have an Exley look to its design so could be a late production version but not one I have seen before.

Garry

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

Tony,

Here is the Exley 6 wheeled chassis used on mine.  I have 4 Parcels vans and 3 WR coaches and all have the system as here.  As I mentioned my GW ones have a roof with a lip as in the Clerestory end view although this is a bogie coach.

As far as I know it was only the standard "Stanier" stock that received the Blood and Custard livery but here is an SR shell produced in the same colour scheme so it is probable the in the latter years before the fire they used a different shell and had a different underframe. 

I have an old Exley catalogue but doubt we will ever know ALL the different variations they made either on purpose or by accident.  Until I bought some I had never known of the full LMS lined out ones with proper door handles as made to special order.

Garry  

post-22530-0-21238100-1546269099_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-74233500-1546269119_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-95947900-1546269157_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-61658400-1546269358_thumb.jpg

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 2

Thanks for that Garry - they are beauties, especially the Stove. I couldn't see any sign of the Exley labels underneath that eBay lot either. So, they remain a riddle.

Tony

I have quite a few without Exley labels but fairly confident when I see them.  I have over 150 Exleys as they are my favourite style of coach but nearly all fitted with Bachmann bogies.  I do keep the Exley bogies fitted with the metal tyres but others are changed.  Some people try to pass Anbrico off as Exley but there is no comparison and quite easily spotted in reasonable photos.

I always wanted the blood and custards and they were never seen or available until about 3 years ago when I got 8, since then there have been quite a few for sale and a few weeks ago I managed a parcels coach in that livery which was a surprise.

I guess my best Exley find (although mainly WR coaches which is my least favourite) was about 5 years ago when only about 15 miles from where I lived was about 25 brand new still wrapped in tissue and unopened later style ones. These were the metal base and plastic window versions.  Some are still unused on my layout.

Garry