Digikeijs DR5000 Xmas Present woes :(

Lacathedrale

Hi guys,

I've got a DR5000 and a WLANmaus throttle from Father Christmas and I'm almost at my wits end. Any help at all would be most appreciated!

I have the Digikeijs DR5000 set to Bridge mode (i.e. standalone wifi). If I connect to the DR5000 wifi network with my PC I can view all the lovely settings on the app.

Note, I have set the mode to 'Bridge' because I don't have wifi in my workshop where the layout is, and I have set the Protocol to Z21/WLANmaus:

C7uQEy1.png

Also note, that the WLANmaus is connected to the network:

IpWR4th.png

Unfortunately, all is not well - though the WLANMaus can connect to the network fine, it flashes with the centre section, like so:

LPf4gDH.png

As per page 64 I have updated Settings -> Wifi -> Z21 IP Address to 192.168.16.254 (as per the IP address information in the above screenshots) with no joy.

I have updated the DR5000 to firmware 1.5.1, and I have updated the WLANmaus to firmware 1.07 and the radio module to 1.04. Unfortunately I'm fairly certain it's the DR5000.

• Over Network,
    • when starting up 'unable to open connection with DR5000'
    • cannot show serial number
    • cannot control anything such as track power or test drives, but can see WLAN activity light flashing when I try to turn on/off track power
    • LAN/WLAN settings, track diagnostics/etc. visible via DR5000 Configuration software
  • Over USB
    • can use some software like JMRI/Rocrail/etc. if I leverage LocoNet-over-USB to turn on and off track power
    • any other commands are ignored, but can see USB activity light flashing

Any help at all would be really appreciated - I feel like there's something I'm missing and I'm not sure what!!

Many thanks!

Edited by Lacathedrale

I suggest that you set the mode to Gateway and connect the JMRI and the DR5000 app via USB as you need to use DR Command for the DR5000 app to work over the network.

The settings in the DR5000 look correct for the Multimaus but there is one niggle whereby the Z21 protocol port can change to 5550 which is LocoNet, make sure the port is on 21105 - which you show currently.

The address for the Maus which you enter into theMaus should be the address you are seeing of 192.168.16.254.

I won't be using the DR command in practice, that was just some testing, is there some other reason to try it? I can connect my PC with JMRI and manipulate track power via USB, but that's it :(. No appreciable difference when network is set to Dr.Command - no controls work. I did disconnect USB and can confirm that I can still read and set config via WLAN.

I did check the port was 21105 for the protocol setting when I was trying that. I noticed the UI sometimes has a blank spot for protocol, and sometimes resets to xpressnet.

The blank spot on protocol is the issue I refer to, it seems to appear randomly from helping others and this was the cause of a lot of consternation a couple of weeks ago for one chap.

Are you able to control the layout (locos, accessories, etc) using the DR5000 programme on the PC when connected via USB? If you can’t get that level of connection then it isn’t worth worrying about Maus or JMRI.

The order should be to get programme working, then get Maus connected to DR5000 via Wi-fi and controlling layout then set up JMRI.

So first step is getting programme working :)

So I have been testing with only one loco - it wasn't factory chipped and I wired in my own harness. I was getting annoyed because it would work fine on DC, but not on DCC. For DC, I created a blanking plate which jumpered the black-grey and red-orange terminals.  I got my multimeter out and checked continuity - turns out I had swapped the black/grey wires when I put the harness together. 5 minutes with the soldering iron sorted that, and now I can read/write/drive via USB on either JMRI or the DR5000 program.

I spent a little while going back and forth with wireless settings - and I've got it to 'latch'  and both the Z21 app on my phone and the WLANmaus are working. I don't know what I did differently at all, which worries me a bit - but so far so good. The WLANmaus dropped the connection after I bounced the control station, but after it itself was rebooted - all is fine. Still can't get Dr. Command via that app to work at all but it's totally secondary to getting the Z21 configuration to work so I'm happy to leave it as-is for now.

Thank you very much foor the help.

• 4 months later...
On 05/05/2019 at 19:03, Lacathedrale said:

Honestly, I recommended this unit to a friend based on the price but I'm really honestly considering reverting to DC...

I wouldn't give up on DCC. I've not had any major problems using DCC, it's not the system you're got but I'm sure someone will sort it for you. Or you could always sell it and change systems.

Simon

• Like 1