Who does a good sound for a Brit?

P.C.M

Hi all, I have a mate looking at geting sound for his Hornby Brit. He is looking at Youchoos, but I haven't used them myself so was wondering who does the best sound.

Many thanks Peter.

I have found the following online:

Youchoos & Paul Chetter for Zimo

Wheeltappers & forthcoming release from Locoman for LokSound.

Recordings off all are available on the internet.

I have a Wheeltappers one & am very happy with it. It has light, normal, heavy loads, with coasting, active braking & 2 different whistles. The Locoman one has been developed for well over a year (I spoke to Charlie about it at DEMU showcase, which I missed this year). I expect this to sound good & if it blows me away, I can blow this onto my Wheeltappers one.

Both the Youchoos & Paul Chetter have all the features mentioned above. I have other projects from Paul & am pleased with them. I don't have anything from YouChoos but have spoken to others who are happy with their projects.

I think it really is a matter of what you think sounds the best. When listening on the internet, remember that speaker type, fitment & the recording of the video will have a massive influence on the bass/treble of what you hear, so you should be able to deepen anything which sounds thin.

I expect all of these will sound significantly better than any project which was compiled 5-10 years ago, regardless of vendor.

Edited by Pete the Elaner

I can't say anything specifically for the Britannia, but both DougN and I have used YouChoos for a few steam sounds. I have their sounds in a Hornby S15 and a Bachmann E4, while Doug has a couple of LNER types which I can't recall off-hand. 

I know I am happy with the sounds on both of mine, notwithstanding the limited space for a speaker  in the E4 dictating the use of a 'sugar cube' speaker.

Hi Guys, Thanks for the info all very useful. I think  my Mate is going for the Youchoos sound so will see how he goes. I am sure it will get a run on my layout so I will be interested to see how good it is.

Thanks Peter.

Hi

All my sounds are from Youchoos including my Brtannia and almost all are excellent sound sets, the only disappointment from around 30 was the class 66 which I thought to be a very quiet sound, so went elsewhere for that and had the decoder reblown for something else.

Never had the luxury of doing a side by side comparison with other suppliers sounds so can't comment, just remember not all differences are down to the sound set used, sometimes the speaker used and it's placement can make a bigger difference.