The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Christmas Lights - too blue!

justin1985

Has anyone else noticed that coloured LED Christmas lights all seem to have very dominant blue colours?

Several neighbours have flashing multicolour strings of them in their front gardens which make it look like the police are outside when they cycle onto their blue phase! It also seems very "cold", rather than warm and Christmassy!

I remember traditional bulb Christmas lights when I was a kid that had "blue" bulbs that basically shone purple - I guess logical when the incandescent coil was glowing "warm white" inside a blue glass bulb.

This gave me the idea to try painting the blue LEDs/lenses of multicolour Christmas lights with some kind of translucent red, with the hope of getting a light more like the gentle purple-y blue that I remember as a kid, rather than the eye-searingly bright blue. 

e.g. Tamiya do a "clear red" paint intended for brake lights on model cars etc. I gather you can also buy "glass marker" pens from Hobbycraft etc which I guess might have a similar effect.

Any thoughts?

Justin

You can get them in pretty much any colour these days. The ones on our tree this year have quite an incandescent yellow look to them.

I've another set where the LEDs are RGB ones and each one cycles through a wide spectrum of colours.