The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Royal mail "Fee to Pay" card

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I have just received a "Fee to Pay" card.

Problem is I don't know what it is for.

There is no sender info on the card.

Is there anyway I could find out?

Not much point in paying if it's something I don't want!

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Hi Keith,

I would ring the delivery office number shown on the reverse of the card, At this time of year, There are lot's of underpaid Christmas Cards, hope this helps.

Cheers 

Gary

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith,

I would ring the delivery office number shown on the reverse of the card, At this time of year, There are lot's of underpaid Christmas Cards, hope this helps.

Cheers 

Gary

I have. They won't give any info over the phone.

Looking on other websites the general advice seems to be to go to the DO and the postie on duty will normally show you the item, so you can ascertain whether to cough up or not.

keith

I have just received a "Fee to Pay" card.

Problem is I don't know what it is for.

There is no sender info on the card.

Is there anyway I could find out?

Not much point in paying if it's something I don't want!

I was once in the queue behind someone paying one of those.

It was junk mail.

He was not pleased.

... the general advice seems to be to go to the DO and the postie on duty will normally show you the item ...

.. as long as the postie isn't the jobsworth at our local delivery office, whose recent claim to fame is refusing to accept a disabled pensioner's bus pass (with her photo on it) as proof of ID, even though he'd accept a credit card (which the old dear hadn't got), and sending her on her way back home empty-handed.

The latest development here is that if you get red carded 'cos you're out when the postie needs an autograph, it used to tell you on it after what time that same day you could collect it from the delivery office.  Alas no more.  Now you have to go there next day, unless you want to go on the RM website and arrange a re-delivery ... which takes two more days.

Edited by spikey

I was once in the queue behind someone paying one of those.

It was junk mail.

He was not pleased.

I too, was caught out like that - very annoying indeed. My mission here after, has been to send as many prepaid/freepost junk mail return envelopes back  (empty) as I can.

Sad, I know, but it brings me a certain perverse pleasure (excluding reg. charities of course).

Guy

• Like 5

I once had this at the office, a card came with the mail to say the sorting office had mail requiring payment. As we often had finance documents posted to us by special delivery or cheques by recorded, it spurred me to take the five mile drive to the sorting office on Christmas Eve where said item turned out to be a cardboard tube about the size of a bottle of whisky and at a weight commensurate with such a thing. After handing over about a fiver in underpayment and penalty charge, I made haste back to the office and made the call on the way to my colleagues who eagerly anticipated a small tipple before we closed up at lunchtime.

As I made the grand entrance there was much joviality and the glasses were lined up on the desk, the parcel was duly unwrapped where we found a note from the agency which handled our direct mailing work, it read something like, "Thank you for all your business this year and please accept this reminder of the spirit of Christmas as a token of our appreciation." "Spirit", the magic word and so forgiving them for the paradox of a mailing agency who it seemed were incapable of calculating the correct postage for something they'd put in the mail, we dug deeper into the tube to find the treasured amber fluid.

It contained a 9" high Christmas tree in a very sturdy earthenware pot full of compost.

We spent the rest of the morning on a recce mission to find a new mailing agency.

I too, was caught out like that - very annoying indeed. My mission here after, has been to send as many prepaid/freepost junk mail return envelopes back (empty) as I can.

Sad, I know, but it brings me a certain perverse pleasure (excluding reg. charities of course).

Guy

I do the same, though it has just occurred to me that we could extract even more pleasure if we filled the freepost envelope with the torn up crap they've sent, especially if it is then overweight (+100g) or more than 5mm thick, incurring additional cost to them...tee hee!

C6T.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I do the same, though it has just occurred to me that we could extract even more pleasure if we filled the freepost envelope with the torn up crap they've sent, especially if it is then overweight (+100g) or more than 5mm thick, incurring additional cost to them...tee hee!

C6T.

I just tear off any bits with me name and address on it and stick it back in the envelope it came in and put the whole lot in the prepaid envelope, unless I get two on the same day, in which case I swap the contents. I may have too add something more to increase the weight.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I too, was caught out like that - very annoying indeed. My mission here after, has been to send as many prepaid/freepost junk mail return envelopes back  (empty) as I can.

Heard a story once about someone who'd tape any freepost junk mail envelopes he received to bricks...

Please follow think and read the advise about opt-out of D2D.

https://stopjunkmail.org.uk/guide/door-to-door-opt-out

Terry.

Fortunately I have a porch with an outer door and my old recycling bin (the current bin is a fortnightly wheelybin) fits neatly inside it ready to receive unsolicited mail, flyers for the local takeaways etc. My biggest bugbears are those such as insurance companies who send out forms pre-filled in several places with your name and address. The whole lot has to be shredded which is a pain. Edited by Pacific231G

• RMweb Premium

Please follow think and read the advise about opt-out of D2D.

https://stopjunkmail.org.uk/guide/door-to-door-opt-out

Terry.

Doesn't work (or at least it doesn't in my case.)

I opted out years ago and it made no difference.

Same with telemarketing

I opted out with TPS and for about 5 years no change, it is now less than it was but I still get some.

IMHO grand ideas but poor in practice, the penalties are not strong enough

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Guy

I keep getting the usual threat-o-grams from Capita, regarding the tv licence.

I haven't had a telly for about 12 years and nor do I want one, this doesn't seem to compute with these goons though.

They don't have my name, and of course they can't send a summons to 'The Occupier' but sometimes I feel like going to the Magistrates Court in order to tear them a new one.

In the meantime, I hear that roofing slates can easily be taped to their letters, on a return to sender basis.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I know of someone who sent back some circulars with the message "Stop sending me your cr@p or I'll send you some of mine." The circulars kept coming so he did as he said he would (in their prepaid envelope, annominously.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know of someone who sent back some circulars with the message "Stop sending me your cr@p or I'll send you some of mine." The circulars kept coming so he did as he said he would (in their prepaid envelope, annominously.)

Saves on toilet paper! :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Guy

Don’t send them back empty, tear up the crap within and post back.......

Back when the DJ Alex Lester had the "Best Time of the Day" Show on Radio 2 (3am-6am; Truck Drivers will know all about it ;) ) he was a great advocate of returning Pre-Paid envelopes to junk mail companies; preferable with - as discussed above - other Company's junk in them, and over weight. :yes:

• Like 6

I understand the sentiment, but (if it's true and not a load a bluster) the person who suffers as a result of that is most likely low paid and completely removed from any decision making. Sending biological waste to them is not going to change anything, it's just a health hazard for the postal service and the people who open the envelopes. Not to mention a compete overreaction.

Edited by Zomboid

• RMweb Premium

I understand the sentiment, but (if it's true and not a load a bluster) the person who suffers as a result of that is most likely low paid and completely removed from any decision making. Sending biological waste to them is not going to change anything, it's just a health hazard for the postal service and the people who open the envelopes. Not to mention a compete overreaction.

I do believe that some people have been prosecuted for doing the same.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I usually fill the envelopes with all the other bit of junk coming through the door. If they're feeling peckish when they open the envelope they will have a choice of takeaways to choose from and a taxi firm if they are out of the delivery area and want to go and collect.

• Like 3

Oh, that reminds me to send off my bowel cancer test.

Thanks!