Bulleid 500HP Diesel Locomotive 11001

John Isherwood

• RMweb Premium

My next loco project could well be Mike Edge's 11001 in 4mm. scale.

Whilst awaiting our return from Western Australia to the UK, I am doing a bit of research into the prototype.

I know that 11001 first appeared in BR unlined black livery with the early crest, but at least two normally reliable sources assert that it later caried BR green livery.

All of the photos that I have seen depict 11001 with the early BR crest, in exactly the same position, whether brand new of in final withdrawn condition. No colour photos of the withdrawn 11001 has come to my attention.

Can anyone point to unequivocal evidence of 11001 ever having carried BR green livery?

I went through this dilemma when painting my Dave Alexander model of 10800; the colour photos of the loco, withdrawn at Derby, strongly suggested BR green livery - which is as I painted the model. I still have suspicions, though, that the green tinge may have been due to long-term outdoor storage in the Derby scrapline.

post-2274-0-21485200-1544081029_thumb.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm wondering if this is a photo of the loco at the end of it's life? The photo of a semi-dismantled 11001 is from March 1959 - the official withdrawal date is given as August, but did it ever work again?

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p87097664/h7AF5117#h7af5117

Interestingly, the cab roof seems to have a flattened top compared to photos from when the loco was built. Did it get cut down at some point?

I'm wondering if this is a photo of the loco at the end of it's life? The photo of a semi-dismantled 11001 is from March 1959 - the official withdrawal date is given as August, but did it ever work again?

Interestingly, the cab roof seems to have a flattened top compared to photos from when the loco was built. Did it get cut down at some point?

If you compare it to a picture further along the list

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p87097664/h7AF5117#he8778d5

It certainly was completely rounded earlier in it's career.

Ilkeston MRC had a model of this loco on it's SR based layout (which was a lovely runner) but I think that was black, can't say any more than that.

I went through this dilemma when painting my Dave Alexander model of 10800; the colour photos of the loco, withdrawn at Derby, strongly suggested BR green livery - which is as I painted the model. I still have suspicions, though, that the green tinge may have been due to long-term outdoor storage in the Derby scrapline.

Would that be the Colour-Rail DE513 image credited to R.Bowyer, with the partially dismantled Fell behind it? Since the window pillar and cab roof of the Fell look to be black, and significantly darker than 10800's body colour, that does suggest 'not black' for 10800. Whatever, it's a handsome model, showing what 10800 would have looked like in BR green...

• RMweb Premium

11001 remained in black with the early crest until withdrawal. I'm not sure when the cab roof was cut down slightly, or for what reason, it spent nearly all its working life on the LBSC with two spell on the MR in Leeds - both of these railways had generous loading gauges in terms of height.

• RMweb Premium

Would that be the Colour-Rail DE513 image credited to R.Bowyer, with the partially dismantled Fell behind it? Since the window pillar and cab roof of the Fell look to be black, and significantly darker than 10800's body colour, that does suggest 'not black' for 10800. Whatever, it's a handsome model, showing what 10800 would have looked like in BR green...

It was indeed the Colour-Rail image.

Trouble is - 10100 aka 'The Fell' was definitely in lined green when it was withdrawn !!

I think that, in the absence of definitive information, 11001 will be black.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

What little evidence I have seen agrees with Michael Edge, that 11001 was black for its whole life.

I would be surprised if 10800 made it into green before withdrawal and subsequent modification. One clue might be to look at the bogie colour, although years of grime, corrosion  and neglect could possibly hide the aluminium paint finish of the early black liveries.

Doesn't seem to be cut down enough to be worth while .................... looks like the sort of damage steam locos got if the coaling tower was badly aimed - hopefully not in this case, tho' !