The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

I've tonight been gifted a Pop Will Eat Itself album. For the life of me I can't remember any track they've done despite vaugely recalling the artist. We're they in the same gumut of Zigue Zigue Sputnik, KLF, PiL etc in being an anti-establishment recording artist?

I may have myself a 12" ashtray/coaster.

C6T.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Classsix T said:

I've tonight been gifted a Pop Will Eat Itself album. For the life of me I can't remember any track they've done despite vaugely recalling the artist. We're they in the same gumut of Zigue Zigue Sputnik, KLF, PiL etc in being an anti-establishment recording artist?

I may have myself a 12" ashtray/coaster.

C6T.

Early PWEI was what used to be called "grebo", then they went somewhat more technoish. Which album is it, I liked their Box Frenzy era but feel that they lost it after that.

Andi

3 hours ago, Classsix T said:

For the life of me I can't remember any track they've done despite vaugely recalling the artist

Same here. The government alternative radio station must have played them back in the late 80's or  early 90's  because I wouldn't have heard the name anywhere else in those pre-internet days but I had a quick flick through their stuff from that time on spotify and I cannot find anything to jog my memory.

A short time later:

ACtually, a longer look has  revealed R.S.V.P from 1994.  Thats the one they played here.

Edited by monkeysarefun

They were big in the graphic design mags, 'cos they were one of the first bands to go big on their own logo and corporate identity. My favourite song was Nightmare at 20,000 Feet (although Very Metal Noise Pollution was okay too).

On 09/03/2023 at 23:49, Dagworth said:

Early PWEI was what used to be called "grebo", then they went somewhat more technoish. Which album is it, I liked their Box Frenzy era but feel that they lost it after that.

Andi

On 10/03/2023 at 07:01, Krusty said:

They were big in the graphic design mags, 'cos they were one of the first bands to go big on their own logo and corporate identity. My favourite song was Nightmare at 20,000 Feet (although Very Metal Noise Pollution was okay too).

This is the LP in question:

I'd guessed it's was darnce moosik as each track has it's BPM listed.

And yes the cover artwork reminded me a lot of that done for the Stereo MCs and MC Tunes around the same time, a design house called It Bites! did those but I dunno if PWEI used the same.

C6T.

Yuh...well. Just listening to those on that Spotify listing I'd be hard pressed to pick a "hit single", but 1989 was a very long time ago and I'm now 50. I like the one with scratching on it though.

Then again I bought KLFs Last Train to Trancentral on release on 12" and literally immediately regretted it. Some will tell me it's now a valuable "classic". So what do I know?

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

On 10/03/2023 at 02:52, monkeysarefun said:

Same here. The government alternative radio station must have played them back in the late 80's or  early 90's  because I wouldn't have heard the name anywhere else in those pre-internet days but I had a quick flick through their stuff from that time on spotify and I cannot find anything to jog my memory.

A short time later:

ACtually, a longer look has  revealed R.S.V.P from 1994.  Thats the one they played here.

For reasons I cannot fathom, this popped into my head as being by Pop Will Eat Itself (before I bothered to Google it or owt (with apologies to Mr. Cope and indeed the members of PWEI!):

It's so not, but my mental filing system had it as a "possibly..?"

C6T.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I enjoyed watching Stairway to Heaven, played the CD many times, but never seen the video before.  By coincidence, I saw a 1966 double Gibson guitar for sale yesterday for only £51,000.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Katzenjammer were four girls who formed a Norwegian English-language band with a German name - literal translation Caterwauling.  They broke up in 2016.  They made three very feel-good albums of fun, funky and quirky but invariably excellent music.  Note the giant three-string balalaika which appears to be used as a bass.

Edited by Torper