The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Stepping Out/Different For Girls/Is She Really etc. Joe Jackson?

(I've learnt to not necessarily impart cover art to an artist's actual identity, Eric B & Rakim's best of cd has a picture of Eric B together with, erm, Chuck D of Public Enemy on the rear. Or to assume too much from their sound, Boz Scaggs is a white dude dontcha know!) C6T. 

Same chap but he has broadened his horizons since the 1980s. This album is his interpretation of various Duke Ellington numbers. The cover pic is Ellington.

steve

• Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Same chap but he has broadened his horizons since the 1980s. This album is his interpretation of various Duke Ellington numbers. The cover pic is Ellington.

steve

Thanks for getting back to us Steve, and I think a few of us might like to have a listen given that information.

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Clive,

Lovely piece of work, where did you find this?

Your thread is much appreciated - such good out of Lincolnshire!

I will pass this on to my quad of daughters who will appreciate it too!

Many thanks,

Richard B

PS Discovered Penfriend from Bristol - lots of good things from there! (Portishead etc....)

Edited by 30368

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Clive,

Lovely piece of work, where did you find this?

Your thread is much appreciated - such good out of Lincolnshire!

I will pass this on to my quad of daughters who will appreciate it too!

Many thanks,

Richard B

PS Discovered Penfriend from Bristol - lots of good things from there! (Portishead etc....)

Hi Richard

I think it was on You Tube or Spotify. Both suggest things that you might be interested in, about one in ten suggestions results in me having a second listen.

• Thanks 1

I’ve been listening to the Soft Boys’ album, Underwater Moonlight.

Apart from some mid/ late 60’s garage band sounding pop and typical Indy sounds, there’s some excellent, quirky and downright deranged psychedelic rock on this album.

Hard to believe this band were doing this stuff in the 1970’s and that this album was released in 1980.

image.jpeg.bfdb106ec4e06d32f4a848f595bfffe7.jpeg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Clagsniffer said:

Anyone remember this? Bloody brilliant.

How good were the early nineties?! 

Seemed to be something for everyone, and everything was good - grunge, trip hop, oz indie rock (here at least!) , brit pop ...  I can name dozens of  bands from then that I still have on  Spotify playlists.

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy  grandad (which I'm not, I do still sample new music)  I can''t think of anything as exciting since then thats happened  music wise.  

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Funnily enough I was listening to the Ned’s the other week too, one of my fave bands of the early 90s along with the wonderstuff 

they are still going and was also tempted to go and see them in Stourbridge before COVID put the kybosh on that idea 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Colosseum Live 05:  A terrific live set from this revived prog/jazz/fusion band

image.png.d28efcfa0922b73b3d919aeffc2ed53a.png

If you can put up with the rather annoying vocalist.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another band that passed me by at the time was Camel.  Picked this up in HMV for £2.99 !

1117999795_SnowGoose.jpg.7405d8f3ef97e441287f8c80b1cb1cda.jpg

"Lunar Sea" from the following album Moonmadness, Live:

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Scott Walker compilation 1967 - 70.... I keep coming back to Scott's solo stuff from this period, some of it is beyond beautiful....

SWR BOYCHILD 67 TO 70 61ASKYPR8JL._AC_.jpg

Agree with that, Bish Bosch and The Drift on the other hand I don't think I have ever managed to listen to  all the way through more than once but I admire him for doing them.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2020 at 15:52, Barry Ten said:

Steppin' Out is one of my all-time favorite songs. Just sublimely great.

It is rather good, one of his other songs; Is she really going out with him? has one of my favourite opening lines; "Pretty women out walking with gorillas down my street" so much bile so neatly condensed into a single line! I can picture him glaring out of the window at his ex and her new love walking down the road together.

• Like 4