The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

I had the cd of "Can't buy a thrill" the Steely Dan first album, that must be close to 50 years ago.....jeezo……………………………...I bought the vinyl when it first came out.

1972 so you've got a couple of years yet. I had it on cassette first, then vinyl, then CD. I've still never tired of it. In fact, I've been trying to learn the intro to Reelin' in the Years lately.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

1972 so you've got a couple of years yet. I had it on cassette first, then vinyl, then CD. I've still never tired of it. In fact, I've been trying to learn the intro to Reelin' in the Years lately.

I've been trying to learn the intro since 1972......the bloke's got too many fingers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I saw Jeff "Skunk" Baxter with the Doobie Brothers, never saw the Dan live unfortunately.

Likewise...never saw them live...have you checked out Walter Becker's two solo albums (RIP).....what a really tasty guitar player.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I came into Steely Dan via a different path. Dad had Greatest Hits LP which included a bonus 12" with Rikki, Reeling In The Years etc. But it was my love of Eye Know by De La Soul that led me to Peg which is right up there in my favourite songs.

Spotify leads me to believe Steely were purposely a well crafted studio affair, so tales of live performances are surprising.

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Classsix T said:

I came into Steely Dan via a different path. Dad had Greatest Hits LP which included a bonus 12" with Rikki, Holding Back The Years etc. But it was my love of Eye Know by De La Soul that led me to Peg which is right up there in my favourite songs.

Spotify leads me to believe Steely were purposely a well crafted studio affair, so tales of live performances are surprising.

C6T. 

Live performances were at the beginning end end of the bands life, little happened in the middle, have a look at youtube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I saw them live twice in the 1990s-2000s. The first tour was before any new material had been released and they did a song called "Cash Only Island" which sounded great but never reappeared on the subsequent albums.

It's interesting to hear how people came to their music. For me it was hearing the Billie Jean/Do it Again mash-up on the radio around 1984:

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Currently listening to - anything that sounds good on our new Bose sound bar...

Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table - Rick Wakeman

Concerto for group and orchestra -  Deep Purple and the RPO

All the Moody Blues albums

60s soul - R Dean Taylor, The Isley Brothers 

and anything else that takes my fancy!

• Like 3

After hearing the track 'In the Court of the Crimson King' by King Crimson on Planet Rock radio recently I went looking for the old tape I had from a friends album done many years ago, no joy so I bought the remastered CD.... wow, took me back nearly fifty years. Greg Lake RIP singing 'Epitaph' on the album is just as relevent these days as it was in 1969.

Knowledge is a deadly friend
If no one sets the rules.

The fate of all mankind I see
Is in the hands of fools.

Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was given In the Court ... by my mum on my 17th birthday, as a double gatefold album with Lark's Tongue's in Aspic as the other disc. Prior to that week I'd never even heard of King Crimson, but by a total coincidence a mate had given me a tape to listen to ... and I was hooked. I'm with you on Epitaph; still blows me away now. I bought the CD later, then the remastered one... but more recently I've gone back to my vinyl copy, just for the fun of putting it on the platter.

In the Court is used quite effectively in the film Children of Men:

• RMweb Gold

Moon child always floated my boat  - but as for Epitaph,,,

The wall on which the prophets wrote...

Is cracking at the seams....

Hang on - can see that on a model railway....

And used to terrify my little brother with the album sleeve picture!

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

On 05/12/2019 at 22:22, Barry Ten said:

In the Court is used quite effectively in the film Children of Men:

A highly underrated film. Clive Owen's performance, the laissez faire attitude of his character to what is happening around him at the start and his progressive realisation some things are really important is excellent. Also its obvious parallels to certain current attitudes to immigration are frighteningly real.

I don't think a film captivated me in the same way since viewing The Day The Earth Caught Fire, another oft overlooked British film masterpiece.

I digress, back to the music, C6T. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Detectorists. Suffered the BeeGees live in 1997 for as long as I could, can't stand Mrs Brown's Boys, Jurassic World was bearable until Mrs R entered the room (she doesn't like blood and gore).

Know what you mean about the Bee Gees but was poignant seeing Robin Gibb again - and Livvy was in the audience.....!!!! With you on Mrs Browns boys too.... and I have the same issue with SWMBO here, I get accused of putting a war film on every time she leaves the room. Well, The Longest Day is a classic....

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Given the fact that the UK government is intent on stopping freedom of movement, I think that this song, one of my favourites by The Proclaimers, is particularly apposite:

• Like 1