K40 Laser Cutters - Worth the cost?

Hi everyone,

I've been doing laser cutting for a while now on the laser cutter at my local Hackspace (a rather nice HPC LS3060), and I'm doing enough that I'm considering buying my own cutter. As a general rule, I'm only cutting material up to 2mm (and occasionally 3mm) thick, mostly card and MDF. My budget is sadly limited, but I have had an offer of an interest-free loan of enough that I could afford a K40 cutter (with basic fume extraction, water cooling etc. However, I've no experience of these very cheap, generic, Chinese cutters. They're 40W CO2 lasers (I don't think a diode-based one is likely to be powerful enough for my needs?), and they don't seem to have a way to set the Z height (making focussing tricky). 

Does anyone here have experience with this cutter, or suggestions of similarly low-budget but actually-functional cutters? I'm mainly making parts for rolling stock at 4mm scale, so a positioning accuracy of about 0.1mm would be ideal. My major concern is the focussing. 

For examples of the sorts of things I currently produce, see:

LBSCR Open D
SECR Push-Pull Set
Brick Hut

Thanks in advance,

Linny

Hi Nick,

I've been reading the Emblaser thread but I'd very much like to avoid needing multiple passes to cut through 3mm MDF, and I really need a cutter with built-in extraction rather than an open-frame one. The Emblaser 2 would fulfil both of those requirements, but then there's the small matter of the price - about ten times my budget!

I can't comment about the K40, but my makerspace has had a cheep Chinese 300x500 and now 500x700 machines, and these seem pretty well screwed together for the money -  but they are lacking in some safety features and the CE mark must stand for Chinese Engineering - I suspect some of the more expensive cutters in the UK that do comply with the rules are the same machine but rebuilt with proper locks and interlocks.

Jon