Class 40 square headcode boxes

• RMweb Premium

I’m slowly trying to make models of locos which have special signifigance for me. During many years trainspotting I struggled to find 40062, it’s one of the batch with the square cornered headcode boxes. I do remember getting a call from a friend in a phone box in Edinburgh late one evening ‘Colin, I’ve just gone past Haymarket and its sitting on the depot’. Shame I was 200 miles away, but I did eventually track it down.

Recently I picked up a almost new Bachmann 40169 (centre headcode box but no boiler tanks) which I intend to make into a model of 40062.

In the last few days I got a copy of ‘Seventies Spotting Days on the ECML’ on page 86 there is a great photo of 40062 clearly showing the square headcode box.

Now I’ve got the model and a good reference photo, I’m ready to go at making 40062. But can anyone please advise me on the best way to make the square cornered headcode box? Plus where can I get the boiler tank mounding?

Thanks

A good few years ago I put square headcode boxes on a old Hornby 37. I had a good photo and proportioned the size from that. I made them from plasticard. It was rather fiddly but looked the job, at least to me. I used 20 thou card for the top and bottom and filed another section to fit neatly as the outer edge. Once I had an open ended box I filed and fiddled with it until in sat snugly in the right place. The panel itself was thinner plasticard with an outer frame. I painted the 'glass' black, put some transfers on and gloss varnished it to represent glass.

It took a while but looked ok.

Sorry I cannot provide photos as I sold it years ago!!

Limas used to do the square headcode version:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/351729151342

It may be possible to graft the nose of one onto the Bachmann model.

I have a green version of this model. and the headcode panel is very small compared to the Bachmann model

post-188-0-30433200-1543249970.jpg

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit