Blog- Stock for Brent 1947 GWR - More coach painting H26/H33

RSS Fetcher

Last night I finally made a start on a job that has been awaiting attention for far too long, painting the roofs of coaches.

At last count I currently have 7 Centenaries, a H26, a H33, a Large Window first, 5 Mainline sunshine stock and 8 Hornby Colletts that all need the roofs painting grey. The centenaries etc. painted earlier in the summer being the most pressing (which also need the ends painting black and lining / windows added.)

So I have started with the roofs, it has taken me a while to standardise on a paint for use on the roofs, but I think I am finally there. Vallejo Black Grey (the same colour that is the main basis of my weathering mix for smokebox doors, diesel loco roof grey and GWR wagon grey.)

So far I have painted up both the H26 and H33 diners (both of which being the key stock to enable me to run some realistic formations), with the centenaries next up.

I am quite pleased with the resulting colour, while the little bit of texture that is added through the paint looks (in my mind) to be a good start point for weathering. I don’t want a roof to be a consistent colour the whole way along… I have ordered a pot of Vallejo black to use on the ends, so will see if that gives as good a brush finish and avoid having to wait to spray them (given all the detail on the ends a spray can black would probably need touching up anyway.)

I was particularly impressed with the coverage of the Vallejo paint, at least equal to that of enamels if not better, I just wish someone would commission a range of railway colours from them! Still, I have some good matches to try and will have a go spraying them in the new year…

Attached thumbnail(s)
  • blogentry-54-0-16692400-1543221672_thumb
  • blogentry-54-0-89197100-1543221681_thumb

View the full article