an unlikely allocation of a Class 15 in Scotland

18B

Hi,

looking at the BR database websit page for Class 15 D8208, it shows it as having had an allocation to Kittybrewster...

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=8208&loco=8208

The excellent WAlmsley shed by shed, shows it as having been allocated to Thornton Junction however...

both allocation entries seem a bit odd for such a loco?

Has anyone any info to confirm or deny this?

from Trains Illustrated March 1959:

"The latest diesel to be loaned to Scotland for trials is a BTH Type 1, No D8208, which arrived at Polmadie on January 9 and three days later set off for the north on a freight for a period of trial from Kittybrewster; it was seen in the place of the usual Haymarket Pacific on the 12.20 am Heaton freight from Aberdeen on January 24."

Trains Illustrated April 1959:

"The BTH 800 hp diesel electric locomotive on loan to the Scottish Region, No D8208, was transferred from Kittybrewster to Thornton at the end of January."

Source, none other than: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73769-diesels-in-scotland-pre-1960/

• Like 1

Chard has it in one. It was only up in Scotland on trials I recall cycling to Thornton to get a look at the future. I believe that the men were less than impressed when they tried it on the sort of turns that were normally done by an 0-6-0 goods loco which could go into the dodgy colliery track and get out again.   They found similar problems when they finally got the Claytons - with the added excitement of when was it going to catch fire? Putting complex fairly lightly engineered machines into maintenance facilities and working environments which suited the simple heavily engineered steam locomotive was never likely to work and it took years to sort out. 

best wishes,

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, I thought this thread was going to be about D8233, which went to Haymarket in the guise of DB968001 in June 1972 as power for Mk.2s during staff familiarisation, I have some old movie film from a train passing Haymarket which shows the loco parked up

Jim

I can't remember if I've ever seen it but there's a pic (or film clip?) somewhere of the cl.15 at Kirkcaldy.

I'm sure I've heard it wasn't just a staff thing, but possibly as a display for the public?

IIRC it was specifically to do with the new Mk2d coaches - being the first to have a/c, there was now a whole lot more to go wrong!

(that whole saga is covered in the Harris Mk2 book)

EDIT: found it on RCTS - https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/diesels/loco.htm?id=diesels/db968001

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1