Heljan announce re-tooled Class 86 in OO

Andy Y

Super, I'd been looking forward to a IC Mainline one. I'm glad there is only one for my era in this lot though - that first batch of 86/4s was an expensive month.

86402 in rail blue 1989 condition next, please Heljan.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The Gaugemaster 86401 is also showing as on preorder at Hattons so I’ve plumped for this. A shame they’ve not gone for a sealed beam headcode panel and/or MU equipment on the 86/0, but I’m sure one will follow, along with 86/3s, although I have added the details mesen. The Faiveley pans on all my 86s will get upgraded to Sommerfeldt like the one on the left in due course, too, thought the Heljan one isn’t too bad.DSCF0417a.JPG.33a3b93306b70776fda1b8064a81fe75.JPG

• Like 8

Great news. Really pleased that Heljan took a second crack at the 86 and improve it, especially the risks of Hornby being in competition. 

What really impresses me is how smoothly the motor runs and really good electrical pick ups. 

Hopefully now they have engineered this pantograph, they may look at other locos and EMUS to carry it 👍

• Like 1

On 01/07/2022 at 14:17, 97406 said:

The Gaugemaster 86401 is also showing as on preorder at Hattons so I’ve plumped for this. A shame they’ve not gone for a sealed beam headcode panel and/or MU equipment on the 86/0, but I’m sure one will follow, along with 86/3s, although I have added the details mesen. The Faiveley pans on all my 86s will get upgraded to Sommerfeldt like the one on the left in due course, too, thought the Heljan one isn’t too bad.DSCF0417a.JPG.33a3b93306b70776fda1b8064a81fe75.JPG

Hi,

Where did you get those marker light panels? Are they a Heljan spare or did you make them?

I've avoided getting the 86/0 so far because I didn't want the headcode version.

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Hi,

Where did you get those marker light panels? Are they a Heljan spare or did you make them?

I've avoided getting the 86/0 so far because I didn't want the headcode version.

I made them out of plasticard for the panels, styrene tube for the surrounds (think it's 3/32" outside diameter, but I'm at work so can't measure) drilled out to 1/16" with clear acrylic rod for the lenses.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

No word yet on 86/2s, surely the most popular variant?

I am not sure they will be any more or less popular than 86/4 or 86/6.

It depends how well the existing ones sell. I get the impression they are doing well enough to produce an 86/2 before long.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure Ben from Heljan has stated that for the "reboot" of the 86 the priority was to launch the versions not yet modelled (ever) but 86/2s were planned.  I think the only ones not planned are the "86 and a half" Class 86/1 which had Class 87 bogies.

86/2s in 1975 condition without nameplates and with headcode blinds will further put me in the workhouse.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

No word yet on 86/2s, surely the most popular variant?

It depends on what period you model.  For the sectorisation period circa 1990 the 86/4s are probably a more useful model because they were mixed traffic machines and carried far more liveries than the 86/2s (which at the time were all passenger sector locos in some form of Intercity livery).  After privatisation the situation was reversed as the 86/2s were split between a larger number of operators.  Personally I'm hoping for a few more 86/4 and 86/6 liveries before they tinker with the tooling.  Late BR blue, Parcels, Railfreight General and maybe another Intercity variant are on my list.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I'm pretty sure Ben from Heljan has stated that for the "reboot" of the 86 the priority was to launch the versions not yet modelled (ever) but 86/2s were planned.  I think the only ones not planned are the "86 and a half" Class 86/1 which had Class 87 bogies.

86/2s in 1975 condition without nameplates and with headcode blinds will further put me in the workhouse.

.. and different underframes on the compressor side. 😉

7 hours ago, 64F said:

It depends on what period you model.  For the sectorisation period circa 1990 the 86/4s are probably a more useful model because they were mixed traffic machines and carried far more liveries than the 86/2s (which at the time were all passenger sector locos in some form of Intercity livery).  After privatisation the situation was reversed as the 86/2s were split between a larger number of operators.  Personally I'm hoping for a few more 86/4 and 86/6 liveries before they tinker with the tooling.  Late BR blue, Parcels, Railfreight General and maybe another Intercity variant are on my list.

86502 carried RF General & that was a conversion from 86222. (ETH was isolated & was it also re-geared?). I think it was the only member of the class to carry it. Some of the other early 86/5s also carried Railfreight 3TG but without sectors. The sub-class was short-lived.

A few 86/2s also carried RES.

But the whole sub-class of 86/4s performed a variety of duties while 86/2s were largely kept to passenger work so, like you, I am pleased to see Heljan covering a few 86/4s before any 86/2s.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

86502 carried RF General & that was a conversion from 86222. (ETH was isolated & was it also re-geared?). I think it was the only member of the class to carry it. Some of the other early 86/5s also carried Railfreight 3TG but without sectors. The sub-class was short-lived.

A few 86/2s also carried RES.

But the whole sub-class of 86/4s performed a variety of duties while 86/2s were largely kept to passenger work so, like you, I am pleased to see Heljan covering a few 86/4s before any 86/2s.

There were at least three 86/6s in Railfreight General - 86 602/613/627.  They lasted a bit longer in the livery than 86 502 but eventually got distribution markings. I'd like one to double head with the Distribution one.

From Flickr:

Edited by 64F
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm terrible for this but due to FOMO and a feeling it will be a strong seller I have relented and pre-ordered

86 417 'The Kingsman' - looks a corker of a livery but really wish it was on the new platform with cab and side corridor lighting which when you look at some of the other cheaper models coming along now should be a fairly standard set of features on a £200 loco.   

Edited by ThaneofFife

On 05/07/2022 at 16:10, wombatofludham said:

Correct. That's pretty much word-for-word what I said when the 86/4s were announced. The original AL6s and 86/4s were done as a priority because they were significant gaps in the fleet. It's also important that we don't overwhelm retailers and customers with dozens of different 86s at the same time, so the releases are being phased to avoid that. The rerun of AL6s and 86/4s was not in the plan but we had some requests for exclusive liveries (such as NSE 86401) and standard liveries that had sold out in the previous runs. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm very happy with the releases so far and it's fantastic that a re-run has been announced which must show that they are doing well enough to justify the second batch.

So long as the workhouse will allow me a model layout, keep churning them out.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Y’know, I really didn’t like the version on IC / Mainline livery with the full yellow ends at the time, but on looking up some pictures of 86417 looking a little weathered makes me realise I’ve mellowed to the scheme over the years, and it will add to the variety. I have therefore preordered one.

• Like 2

I’ve invested in a few from first release. I’d satisfied myself that there was only one other livery I “needed”* and you’ve just announced it… (ic mainline) well done for battering my wallet even further…😀

* in so much as you can need any model train, especially when you model central Scotland north of Glasgow in the 80/90s where there was no wires…. I have a cunning plan though

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I will be at Chester Cathedral Friday and Saturday this week ensuring the OLE on the Making Tracks 2 layout is working correctly and that there are no issues, if anyone is planning to visit, come and say hello.

Aron

• Like 2

On 07/07/2022 at 06:49, 61661 said:

Correct. That's pretty much word-for-word what I said when the 86/4s were announced. The original AL6s and 86/4s were done as a priority because they were significant gaps in the fleet. It's also important that we don't overwhelm retailers and customers with dozens of different 86s at the same time, so the releases are being phased to avoid that. The rerun of AL6s and 86/4s was not in the plan but we had some requests for exclusive liveries (such as NSE 86401) and standard liveries that had sold out in the previous runs. 

Forgive me if this has already been covered but, do we have any info yet on exactly what condition NSE 86401 will be produced in?

When it first received the livery it was unnamed and had no TDM equipment.  Latterly it received the front end mods in line with the rest of the class and I think around 1989 it was named Northampton Town. The TDM cables were also carried in the early "upside down flap" arrangement the later pocket arrangement - though not for very long in that livery.  

I'm also curious as to whether it has been decided it will be in the early or late shade of NSE blue.  (My money is on early given the date at which it was repainted)      Cheers