Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

As an aside, anyone seen the guy on eBay who has sold 13 Deltics so far and has 10 still for sale.  All “new”.   Of course they are all for sale with a 99p starting price……..NOT!  All priced as buy it now with between £100 and £150 mark up.  Suspect it’ll be far worse with the 37s now people have realised they can scalp so easily…….

• RMweb Premium
On 20/08/2022 at 16:13, McC said:

As above the kinematic works best with a fixed or rigid coupler. We recommend kadee and similar or fixed bar couplers. If you must use tension locks we recommend putting one of the supplied pairs with the loco into the leading wagon or coach to guarantee compatibility 

Hmmm, taking note of this I thought I'd try my new Deltic, hardly run, with this in mind. I reversed her up to a Bachmann Mk.1 and drove her through the track system, which comprises express and medium points on track with radii of 24-30". Apart from one instance, initially, of a loco slipping her couplings, which was not repeated on a second pass-by. Reversing was not a problem, with the couplings on the coach sliding easily on the deltic's coupling. There was one small problem, I have a curved point which runs into double slip from a 30" radius track, which caused the loco to derail, without any effect on the coach.  I presume my track geometry is not quite correct here!

In respect of the other points and junctions, I assume then the coaches' swivelling bogies enabled the couplings to work properly.

I then repeated the 'experiment' with Bachmann box vans, with standard couplings. No issues were to be had.

My track is far from perfect, but might best be described a w-i-p. The loco traversed a 24" radius curve on a very slightly rising incline as part of a triangle. No issues, much to my surprise.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Francis deWeck said:

I then repeated the 'experiment' with Bachmann box vans, with standard couplings. No issues were to be had.

My track is far from perfect, but might best be described a w-i-p. The loco traversed a 24" radius curve on a very slightly rising incline as part of a triangle. No issues, much to my surprise.

Its good yours is perfect out of the box 👍

• RMweb Premium
On 10/09/2022 at 23:06, 55020 said:

I have found the following CV changes provide for much better slow speed running:

New CV value                      CV range                           Original CV value

CV2 = 2                                  1 - 255                               1

CV51 = 20                             0 - 255                               0

CV52 = 70                             0 -255                                0

CV116 = 50                           25 - 200                             100

Steve

Wow, these figures work really well, my Deltic is now perfect (easily good enough) at slow crawling.

Odd thing is (I have also put this in the DCC thread) when I tried to change the settings within JMRI DecoderPro the relevant CV51&CV52 are missing from the CV listing 🤔 , very strange and so far no explanation.

Changed them within my ECoS 50200 controller easily as usual instead.

Thanks for the settings Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

...Odd thing is (I have also put this in the DCC thread) when I tried to change the settings within JMRI DecoderPro the relevant CV51&CV52 are missing from the CV listing 🤔 , very strange and so far no explanation...

I take it you have an ECoS command station of some kind? I wonder if it might be something in the JMRI that doesn't recognise the CVs. I will check my SPROG III/JMRI set up later today to see if the problem exists there. If so, I'll contact @Crosland to see if he knows how to get JMRI updated appropriately.

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I take it you have an ECoS command station of some kind? I wonder if it might be something in the JMRI that doesn't recognise the CVs. I will check my SPROG III/JMRI set up later today to see if the problem exists there. If so, I'll contact @Crosland to see if he knows how to get JMRI updated appropriately.

I have been informed that the DecoderPro might not have automatically selected the correct V5 decoder, apparently different versions seem not to have access to all CVs, I am going to check this later.

Yes I have the ECoS 50200 command station, and my decoderPro I updated yesterday to the latest version along with Java, just in case, but still the same issue.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I have been informed that the DecoderPro might not have automatically selected the correct V5 decoder, apparently different versions seem not to have access to all CVs, I am going to check this later.

Yes I have the ECoS 50200 command station, and my decoderPro I updated yesterday to the latest version along with Java, just in case, but still the same issue.

There are at least two different V5 decoders listed in Decoder Pro, one has extra features for other digital control systems as well as DCC. The decoder in my Deltic is noted as 'LokSound 5 DCC', which I believe is the one that doesn't have the extra features. My Decoder Pro version is 5.0, Rc441642522, and it shows 51 and 52 in the CV table.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

There are at least two different V5 decoders listed in Decoder Pro, one has extra features for other digital control systems as well as DCC. The decoder in my Deltic is noted as 'LokSound 5 DCC', which I believe is the one that doesn't have the extra features. My Decoder Pro version is 5.0, Rc441642522, and it shows 51 and 52 in the CV table.

Just checked there are 13 versions listed, luckily most are Micro so forget those, and an XL, I am assuming the Accurascale version is the MKL with powered outputs, as that’s the on required for the Hattons 66 because of the extra lighting facility.

Then at least there is just the V5, V5 DCC, V5 FX, V5 FX DCC……I assume the FX versions might just be for effects?

Ill see if I can glean something further up this thread, but it’s getting tiresome looking now it’s so long.

• RMweb Premium

I have no idea of the other variants of LokSound 5. I only know that when I had JMRI read the decoder information it chose the 'LokSound 5 DCC' entry. I'm currently having JMRI do a full CV read of the Deltic so can't check anything else at the moment. Apparently a full read of CVs can take a few hours in this fashion.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ian J. said:

I have no idea of the other variants of LokSound 5. I only know that when I had JMRI read the decoder information it chose the 'LokSound 5 DCC' entry. I'm currently having JMRI do a full CV read of the Deltic so can't check anything else at the moment. Apparently a full read of CVs can take a few hours in this fashion.

No worries, all I have found in the thread so far is this answer from Fran,

“Hi @philg,

Many thanks for your patience on this one, but I felt it best to get the correct answer for you. AUX3, AUX4 need to be logic level as per VHDM standard and are so on our Deltics.

Cheers!

Fran”

Unfortunately it doesn’t actually say the type of V5 decoder though, what it does but not MKL, 5DCC or V5 Vanilla as in the DecoderPro listing. 🤔

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

If the decoder is the same one, and JMRI on SPROG III can see CVs 51 and 52, then I wonder if this is a JMRI on ECoS issue, as the ECoS itself can see them...?

Yes, using SPROG lll using DecoderPro on my laptop..…it’s just in the individual CV page/tab there are loads of CVs missing from the listing, programming using the ECoS 50200 directly to prog track no issues.

• RMweb Gold

It is definitely a LokSound V5 DCC i.e. the non-multiformat one, or the non-European version of the V5 if you prefer to think of it that way.  Chosing this decoder makes sense, as UK modellers tend not to need Motorola, Selectrix or M4 compatability and would much prefer a cheaper price.  I only buy V5 DCC for that very reason.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 55020 said:

It is definitely a LokSound V5 DCC i.e. the non-multiformat one, or the non-European version of the V5 if you prefer to think of it that way.  Chosing this decoder makes sense, as UK modellers tend not to need Motorola, Selectrix or M4 compatability and would much prefer a cheaper price.  I only buy V5 DCC for that very reason.

Steve

That explains why on this particular V5 Decoder within DecoderPro it still shows the three step speed table available for adjustment, thinking about it (never crossed my mind when fiddling with the system) my other V5 do not have that facility having been taken away for the EU/U.K. V5 version, and a silly design change for the U.K. version IMO as I thought the three steed speed setting was a pretty much standard usage over here in the U.K. as well as the US.

Oh well, it’s all sorted now it’s just read the V5 again using the V5 DCC. Listing and all the CVs are in the CV tab now.

• Like 1

I have a sneaky feeling this conversation could be mirrored in Class 37 topic when they finally arrive. If so I hope the final outcome is fully documented and in a separate DCC topic to save much head scratching by owner’s of Accurascale’s various diesel classes? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Martin_R said:

I have a sneaky feeling this conversation could be mirrored in Class 37 topic when they finally arrive. If so I hope the final outcome is fully documented and in a separate DCC topic to save much head scratching by owner’s of Accurascale’s various diesel classes? 

Absolutely, I have the same feeling having both the 37 and a couple of 31 on order, although one of the 31 I have ordered without the V5 decoder, going back to Zimo. 😀