Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

12 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

It's a bit of both.

To make the most of it you'd need a 10 function decoder, and then you'd need to look up what F keys go against what output by default in the manual for the decoder and compare with the table above.

Even as a confirmed Zimo fanatic, I'm starting to realise that these Deltics have been designed and built with ESU decoders in mind - and it's probably more trouble than it's worth to use anything else.

And as AccuraScale add more functionality to their models this is going to become even more true I think (consider operating pantographs and flange squeal detection)

6 minutes ago, philg said:

Even as a confirmed Zimo fanatic, I'm starting to realise that these Deltics have been designed and built with ESU decoders in mind - and it's probably more trouble than it's worth to use anything else.

And as AccuraScale add more functionality to their models this is going to become even more true I think (consider operating pantographs and flange squeal detection)

Maybe, I only use ESU anyway to be honest so haven't tried a Zimo in mine.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

It's a bit of both.

To make the most of it you'd need a 10 function decoder, and then you'd need to look up what F keys go against what output by default in the manual for the decoder and compare with the table above.

Thanks 

I will have a look at the decoder manual and try and work it out,  I hadnt realised it needed a 10 function decoder to get the most out of it so just fitted a 6, though if I can get the night lights to work that will be enough for me.

So far I think I have 

fct 0 giving Day Headlights direction controlled

fct 1 / 2 tail lights

Fct 3/4 cab lights

I didnt get a result with 5/6 which is confusing so will double check.   

I think I may have at least one other loco which requires a 21 pin chip so I may eventually swap it over and replace with something more suitable. 

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, philg said:

I did see somewhere within this thread that Accurascale are planning on selling non-sound ESU decoders programmed specifically for the Deltic's, so if you're planning on swapping out your Zimo ones it might be worthwhile waiting on these, that's my plan at least.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Put bluntly, tooling seems to have a c.20-25 year live before technology overtakes it.

If we compare the leap of the AS Deltic to the similar leap of the Hornby MN, we can expect someone to produce a new model in around 2045!

I really do wonder if that will be the case, or will history record that the AS release actually becomes the definitive RTR release. 

To properly recall the Deltics in BR service or to have logged travelling behind the class on the main line will, by the above date, require potential buyers to be 70 years of age or older; a dwindling pool of collectors and modellers.  Whether we like it or not, diesels - even the icons - have less attraction than say, 1950s steam. 

The estates of deceased enthusiasts will have caused the second-hand market to be awash with high quality, probably little used, locos for years. 

Who can predict what the future of preservation looks like, but the likelihood is surely that fewer than the present number of surviving locos will be serviceable.  One or more could have ceased to exist by then; a reduced level of prototype access.

Technological advances, changes in global production, lifestyle shifts and cost of living changes could have altered the landscape of creative crafts beyond recognition.  Fill your boots while you can; carpe diem.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

To properly recall the Deltics in BR service or to have logged travelling behind the class on the main line will, by the above date, require potential buyers to be 70 years of age or older; 

Hold up I’m not there yet 🤫 by a few years, but living in Chesterfield, Donny,Retford etc we’re easily accessible and I can fondly remember these beasts setting off at some pace etc, sorry didn’t read the rest of the post for revelancy 🤣🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, younGGuns7 said:

Hold up I’m not there yet 🤫 by a few years, but living in Chesterfield, Donny,Retford etc we’re easily accessible and I can fondly remember these beasts setting off at some pace etc, sorry didn’t read the rest of the post for revelancy 🤣🤦‍♂️

Ignore I have read it now I will be in the century’s by then 🤣

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

require potential buyers to be 70 years of age or older

You cut me deep Shrek, the Deltic retired in the 1980,s,im 69 and as a kid remember the A4,s as well as seeing the two tone early deltics on the east coast.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, philg said:

Been away for a couple of weeks, so my two Deltics have only just arrived. And I have lighting issues with both of them….

Before I contact Accurascale, I wondered if anyone else had hit the same problems - and fixed them

My sound fitted D9009 Alicydon does not want to illuminate the cab lights with F12 nor the engine room lights with F25. Do any cvs need tweaking?

The head and red marker lights are fine though

Im hitting one problem at a time, so I want to get these fixed first

Thanks

Phil G

Aha!

I did a little digging tonight (dangerous, I know) and found that Aux3, 4 and 11 were set very dim. I increased the brightness settings and now I can see lights!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

I have a fetish for “As delivered”-so you could make all 22 for me unnamed with no yellow panel and I would devour them all!D9008 has been a resounding success,I’m hoping to buy D9004 at some point as well.And will you offer the option of fitted crew on the following releases please?

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, guarded said:

I have a fetish for “As delivered”-so you could make all 22 for me unnamed with no yellow panel and I would devour them all!D9008 has been a resounding success,I’m hoping to buy D9004 at some point as well.And will you offer the option of fitted crew on the following releases please?

Or ONE unnumbered with a selection of diy numbers?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Alycidon said:

I did see somewhere within this thread that Accurascale are planning on selling non-sound ESU decoders programmed specifically for the Deltic's, so if you're planning on swapping out your Zimo ones it might be worthwhile waiting on these, that's my plan at least.

I don't see why they wouldn't. They did for the A Class. But it was also mentioned on the IRM forum that ESU were giving priority to manufacturing the higher margin sound chips over the non-sound ones. Could take a while basically.

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I don't see why they wouldn't. They did for the A Class. But it was also mentioned on the IRM forum that ESU were giving priority to manufacturing the higher margin sound chips over the non-sound ones. Could take a while basically.

They are .......

image.png.f055f3807f6511a4f0dfc5c3c6b7f484.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Put bluntly, tooling seems to have a c.20-25 year live before technology overtakes it.

There are calls for accurascale to produce a new Class 50, 18 years after Hornby did a new one. Yes there were some errors in the cab window shapes, but also technology has moved on to include the potential for motorised fans and moving louvres, as well as improved underframe detail.

The Hornby MN similarly was groundbreaking when released in 2000, but was arguably overtaken slightly by the Rebuilt Light Pacific c.10 years later, and now is generally regarded as ripe for a retool and improvement to 'modern' standards.

If we compare the leap of the AS Deltic to the similar leap of the Hornby MN, we can expect someone to produce a new model in around 2045!

Of course laser scanning means that shape discrepancies are less, so the leap for any retooled model next generation will be less.

Then again, the only RTR manor currently is the Mainline model first tooled in 1980 (albeit with a 1990s chassis). It will have taken 42 (maybe 43) years for AS to deliver a replacement. At that rate, maybe the Deltic COULD fund their retirement...!

But with 22 locos and pretty much a very good model loco (shame about the Dumbo Ears cab front handrails being so large).  In fact surprised the rivet counters haven't sent them back as the locomotives are technically out of gauge!  Stand back behind the yellow line or a Deltic could take your legs out!  LOL!

Rather than in 20 years needing a new tool, the real test in my own opinion, is how does the model stand against models of the time.  I reckon that the Deltic is pretty much nailed now.  Also fast forward 20 years and how much will a loco cost then?  Previous models had significant flaws, anything beyond is probably going to be replacing for replacings sake.  The only thing beyond where we are now is probably going to be smoke and advancements in DCC chips.  Only other thing is possibly model railway in virtual reality, especially as prices rise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

You cut me deep Shrek,

A remarkable example of why you shouldn't judge a 69 year old book by it's cover.

Because they are quoting a 21 year old film.....

Which is probably as disturbing to a 69 year old as it is to 35 year old 😂

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

But with 22 locos and pretty much a very good model loco (shame about the Dumbo Ears cab front handrails being so large).  In fact surprised the rivet counters haven't sent them back as the locomotives are technically out of gauge!  Stand back behind the yellow line or a Deltic could take your legs out!  LOL!

Rather than in 20 years needing a new tool, the real test in my own opinion, is how does the model stand against models of the time.  I reckon that the Deltic is pretty much nailed now.  Also fast forward 20 years and how much will a loco cost then?  Previous models had significant flaws, anything beyond is probably going to be replacing for replacings sake.  The only thing beyond where we are now is probably going to be smoke and advancements in DCC chips.  Only other thing is possibly model railway in virtual reality, especially as prices rise.

VR Model Railway?

Wow, the mind races with the thought.

How about being able to climb aboard a Class 55 and drive it on your own VR layout?

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, steve45 said:

VR Model Railway?

Wow, the mind races with the thought.

How about being able to climb aboard a Class 55 and drive it on your own VR layout?

Surely a d*lt*c is the wrong gauge for the Vale of Rheidol?

😉

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

E-mail from Accurascale on Tuesday afternoon (Singapore time), immediately followed by e-mails from DHL with tracking info and option to nominate somewhere to leave the package, arrived at 10:21 this morning (Friday), I'm impressed!! That's over 6500 miles and I wouldn't complain about that for delivery if I was still in Milton Keynes, splendid!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't like falling into hyperbole but it's difficult not to based on my first impression of this model. I went for the Durham Light Infantry in BR blue and everything about the overall offering just screams quality and sets a new standard for OO. The packaging, the information, details, finish and most importantly 'the look' of the model are outstanding. The Bachmann model was a decent enough model (especially for its time) but this really is a class above and is a tremendous achievement by Accurascale. And it is remarkable that they've done it all for the price, which undercuts many other D&E models and represents amazing value for money. I love the booklet with info on the 1:1 Deltic, it's one of those nice touches that adds feelgood factor and just adds to the satisfaction. Everything just indicates an attention to detail and commitment to giving the purchaser something special that some other manufacturers should have a long hard look at. At this rate Accurascale are going to end up eating a lot of cakes other manufacturers think are theirs.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Was digging through my old photos last night looking for something completly different and came across this shot taken at the ELR back in August 2011 -look what's hiding behind the brake van 😀

DSC01214.thumb.jpg.a8ce031e054308d197828ce5902cc035.jpg

Can't believe I didn't get a better shot at the time ......

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

E-mail from Accurascale on Tuesday afternoon (Singapore time), immediately followed by e-mails from DHL with tracking info and option to nominate somewhere to leave the package, arrived at 10:21 this morning (Friday), I'm impressed!! That's over 6500 miles and I wouldn't complain about that for delivery if I was still in Milton Keynes, splendid!!

4 hours ago, SC55015 said:

And then there were two.

My Accurascale pre-order has now arrived after a speedy trip - Dublin - East Midland - Leizpig - Los Angeles - San Franciso - Oakland in about 30 hours from pick up to delivery, kudos to DHL.

Happy to report that 9021 arrived in very good shape and went straight into traffic on the Pullmans.

Thank you again Accurascale.

IMG_3334 web20.jpg

Excellent service by all.

Meanwhile here in Spain I'm clearing tumbleweed!

(No fault whatsoever of Accurascale, my fault for living in a third world country.)

I'm reckoning on april/may 2023 if I'm lucky.

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, SC55015 said:

And then there were two.

My Accurascale pre-order has now arrived after a speedy trip - Dublin - East Midland - Leizpig - Los Angeles - San Franciso - Oakland in about 30 hours from pick up to delivery, kudos to DHL.

Happy to report that 9021 arrived in very good shape and went straight into traffic on the Pullmans.

Thank you again Accurascale.

IMG_3334 web20.jpg

Your Deltic flew between SFO and Oakland ?

wow thats an airline with money to burn right now.

(30 miles by car and probably a flight of around 10 minutes inc take off and landing)… .. its less than LHR to LCY in distance

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

(30 miles by car and probably a flight of around 10 minutes inc take off and landing)… .. its less than LHR to LCY in distance

I'm not sure that the above actually implies all legs were by air, but even if you see a flight code it doesn't necessarily mean an actual flight. There is (or at any rate used to be) a "flight" between Heathrow and Cardiff airport. But despite clearing customs in Cardiff it was actually a truck down the M4.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The first time I went to silicon valley I was offered a flight on that leg, I declined and drove.