Where to find 'good' tools?

I know that I can head out to ebay and buy a dozen needle files for a few pounds, but I'm starting to see where problems with the tools I'm using - too blunt, too coarse, too brittle, etc. and so was wondering where one goes, or what one looks for? I'm talking about sub 1mm drill bits, a file for filing track vees in 2mm and 4mm scale, etc. - just got no idea where to find stuff that won't immediatelly go bad. For ex. I've seen drillbits which have a big shank and small diameter ?

Edited by Lacathedrale

The 2mm Association book "Track" recommends wet & dry paper stuck to wood for filing crossing vees and point blades. Cheap, effective and available in a wider variety of cuts than proper files.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd second the recommendation for Eileen's Emporium. If you're doing a lot of filing of non-ferrous metals, and plastic, invest in a 'file card'. It's not something that plugs into a USB port, rather, it's a fine wire brush to clean files before they become clogged.

,or french chalk?

Mike.

,or french chalk?

Mike.

Oooh là là!  But ze chalk Anglais work just as well, and make less of ze mess.  Rubbez-vous un stick de chalk d'enfant sur votre file, et Bob est le frère de ta mère :)

• Like 1

When you've got a selection of files, drills etc, it would be worth making something to hold them upright and visible on the workbench. I've made something using plastic tablet tubes;

get a couple of bits of 4"x 2" timber offcuts, about 9" long.

In one, drill as many holes as you need, all the way through.

Then glue and screw the second piece underneath, so the holes are now 'blind'.

The tubes can be arranged in graduated rows, like organ-pipes. cutting them down as required.

The ones I'm using are 26mm dia. by about 90mm long; they originally contained 'Calceos' tablets, which anyone with an osteoporosis sufferer in the family will be familiar with. Just push the tubes into the holes without glueing; you can then take them out to clear the inevitable rubbish out every so often.

Eileen's seem to have better quality stock than the various resellers of Expo tools, but I'd certainly suggest you want to go to jewellery suppliers for most 2mm-appropriate stuff.

2mm Association members get a small discount at Shesto who have a good range (look at the members page of the 2mm website).

But I recently discovered https://www.cooksongold.com/ after looking for the knock-off versions of the Bergeon Swiss precision vices that Tim Watson recommended. Looks like they currently have these at £49.99 +VAT, which is a real bargain. 

The shanked Busch drills they sell are much better than the ones Eileens sell individually, but still pretty pricey. I seem to recall another discussion of good sources of small drills recently? Possibly a Polish supplier was mentioned? 

J

• RMweb Gold

Oooh là là!  But ze chalk Anglais work just as well, and make less of ze mess.  Rubbez-vous un stick de chalk d'enfant sur votre file, et Bob est le frère de ta mère :)

and keep separate files for brass/copper and steel. Once used on steel will be worn enough not to touch the brass (more or less). At School we had different ferrules on the wooden handles to tell them apart - and woe betide any errant child that used the wrong one with Mr Hall on the prowl!

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 1

and keep separate files for brass/copper and steel. Once used on steel will be worn enough not to touch the brass (more or less). At School we had different ferrules on the wooden handles to tell them apart - and woe betide any errant child that used the wrong one with Mr Hall on the prowl!

One of the best ways of spoiling a good quality file is to keep it where it can come into contact with other files. 

This kind of artists' brush wallet / holder type thing is handy for keeping files "nicely" if you don't want them in a permanent desktop holder thingy. I'd be worried about leaving my good files exposed on the workbench, with flux, MEK, resin etc potentially swilling around! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sorliva-Brush-Holder-Bag%EF%BC%8CArtist-Canvas/dp/B073Q6W1BL

• Like 1

As an aside to this, it seems that 0.45mm is a common size for whatever reason - but I've snapped my only 0.45mm drillbit. Is it worth getting another set (imperial vs metric) or just buy a stock of 0.45mms?

I now buy individual drills rather than sets. Try https://www.chronos.ltd.uk.

On the subject of files; keep different files for steel and brass. As an apprentice I was taught that once a file has been used on steel it will never cut brass properly.

Edited by JeremyC

I now buy individual drills rather than sets. Try https://www.chronos.ltd.uk.

On the subject of files; keep different files for steel and brass. As an apprentice I was taught that once a file has been used on steel it will never cut brass properly.

That page has an invalid SSL certificate, I would be very wary about sending any confidential details (i.e. logging in with a password, logging in to Paypal, etc.) through it, since any transaction will be fully visible by a man in the middle intercepting it.

Good quality tools for the model engineer, at reasonable prices, are available from many sources:

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/

Money invested in 'proper' swiss pattern needle files is well worth it in my view. I have had some of mine for over 35 years now (yikes - is it really so long!)