What EMU makes this sound?

Lacathedrale

It will be a Networker. The noise is from the invertor which creates the variable frequency AC drive for the AC traction motors. The "changing gear" type of sound effect is not too far removed from what is actually happening electronically speaking. The invertors have a limited frequency range. When they get to their limit as speed increases, they drop to a frequency a harmonic below and can then increase frequency again as the motor speed increases.

It's so easy to mis-remember sounds from earlier days. I have often been confused between sounds I remember as a child/teen when frequently using the Northern Line tube (1938, 195x ex Central stock and 1967 stock) and the sounds I remember from when I moved sarf and used and then worked with SR 1950's/60's stock.

Indeed, when I first played the sound you have tagged, I immediately thought of a tube train. But despite a bit of a search on YouTube for early tube videos, I can find nothing like it!

But Titan is indeed correct about the Networker - it was such a strange sound to our ears at the time.

• RMweb Premium

Perfect, thank you! For some reason I thought the sound predated Networkers as I'm fairly certain that they weren't around at the time I was thinking - but clearly I have things muddled up. Thank you sir!

You have to remember that the Networker fleet were the first EMUs to use AC traction motors and the technology to implement these was thus somewhat different to what is used today.

All EMUs built since then use AC traction motors, but such is the rapid rate of advancement in power electronics during the 1990s the Networker is the only fleet to have these 'gear changing' sounds with subsequent builds using different components and a smoother more consistent sound.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

You have to remember that the Networker fleet were the first EMUs to use AC traction motors and the technology to implement these was thus somewhat different to what is used today.

All EMUs built since then use AC traction motors, but such is the rapid rate of advancement in power electronics during the 1990s the Networker is the only fleet to have these 'gear changing' sounds with subsequent builds using different components and a smoother more consistent sound.

It's the GTO drives.  Class 323s make a similar sound as does 96TS on the Jubilee line.

The earliest Vancouver area Skytrains (still in service) make that "gear changing" sound as well. You can hear it clearly in the first 12 seconds of this (much longer) video:

Edited by pH
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The Networkers are approaching 30 years of service,  when are they due to be replaced?

It is strongly rumoured that they will be ditched when the next franchise winner is announced (in the same way SWR are renewing their entire suburban fleet because politicians can tell voters "look we have got you some shiny new trains")

It is strongly rumoured that they will be ditched when the next franchise winner is announced (in the same way SWR are renewing their entire suburban fleet because politicians can tell voters "look we have got you some shiny new trains")

And those same Politicians then complain about how expensive the railways are and its all those nasty overpaid train crews fault!

Oops that a bit political isnt it, naughty naughty.

I'd always thought the noise a Desiro EMU makes as it pulls away is very gear-changey, like the Networkers. Much more noticeable than a Electrostar of the same vintage. 

The Networkers have recently all been re-tractioned, haven't they? Have a feeling it was by Hitachi? Although I pass through London Bridge most days, I can't say I've particularly noticed what noise they make now?

Certainly hadn't noticed the tones of the Taurus locos, fascinating! Kind of want a sound chip fitted model now ...

J

I'd always thought the noise a Desiro EMU makes as it pulls away is very gear-changey, like the Networkers. Much more noticeable than a Electrostar of the same vintage. 

The Networkers have recently all been re-tractioned, haven't they? Have a feeling it was by Hitachi? Although I pass through London Bridge most days, I can't say I've particularly noticed what noise they make now?

Certainly hadn't noticed the tones of the Taurus locos, fascinating! Kind of want a sound chip fitted model now ...

J

Iirc it was only 465/0 and 465/1 (ie the ones which originally had Brush Traction equipment) and the programme was finished around 2010 so not that recent.