Railway allotments....did any survive into the 90s?

• RMweb Gold

I think it might depend upon locale, i.e. land values and opprtunities to realise cash, and whether the land was accessible or rail-locked. And there are still quite a number of Local Authority allotments which happen to border railway lines.

Hard to imagine such a depiction would look anachronistic.

• RMweb Gold

Technically, our allotment was originally right next to the railway line, but when a new link road was built in the 80s, it was cut off from the line. 

I've just realised on the other side of the allotment was the former branchline.... I think its often a case of the allotments are still there, the railway isnt!

Crowcombe Heathfield still has allotments inside the fence in the late 2010's (i.e. Now) and had them in the 90's

Their you go prototype for everything is out there

(You didn't say not on a preserved railway!)

Edited by Graham456

• RMweb Premium

Up until about ten years ago there was still a lineside one in the up cess between Shepreth and Royston, next to a level crossing keepers house.....

Andy G

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 09/11/2018 at 17:46, johnofwessex said:

Its been a while since I went that way but for a long time someone was cultivating = officially or otherwise land between the boundary wall & the top of the cutting between Redland & Clifton Down Stations

Still there, as of yesterday. Access is only by ladder from a property in Cowper Rd, Whether it was a railway allotment, I don't now, but the owner/tenant probably has grandfather rights.

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

Not really an allotment, but how many other stations have broad bean plants?

Taunton used to have tomatoes growing in the four foot. Can't imagine how they got there.😉

On 30/07/2022 at 19:15, JZ said:

Taunton used to have tomatoes growing in the four foot. Can't imagine how they got there.😉

I strongly suspect somebody flushed the toilet whilst the train was standing in the station.  Tomato seeds can pass through the human gut.  The best tasting tomatoes I've ever eaten used to grow at the local 'sewage farm'.