Diesels on the Southern Region

Joseph_Pestell

There is a picture in a book somewhere of a green SYP (I think) Peak at Ramsgate shed in the 1960's suffering from an Earth Fault.

I bet the local re-railing gang loved that challenge...

Sorry for the delay, I only just found it. The picture is of a derailed peak D81 in Ramsgate Shed yard on July 1st 1967. The loco had worked a Loughborough - Ramsgate train. It is in a book with much the same title as this topic, Diesels on the Southern, by Michael Welch.

On the previous page but one, there is a shot of D110 in green syp on a train from Ramsgate to Nottingham on July 15th 1967, with an LMR maroon BSK (M34012) as the first vehicle behind the loco. This was, according to the caption, a regular Saturdays only Summer working.

Edited by SRman

There was a Deltic tour in about 1980 though, which I seem to remember going Redhill-Tonbridge on a very foggy Autumn morning.

I do recall spotting the Wessex Deltic (on 17/10/81 it turns out) heading towards Guildford through Farncombe - this had apparently been all over the shop by this point after being given a heads up that it was going to be passing through.

Hi,

Weymouth was Southern at that stage. Technically the Southern region started at Maiden Newton.

The Hymeks were stalwarts of the services to the Western from introduction till withdrawal.

Westerns did appear on parcels services into Wey as well as Warships which were also diagrammed on some passenger services.

If memory serves (probably doesn't!) 1O65 was Bristol-Weymouth. Must have come back from station - tail lamp on.

Stu

31's were used when the Cardiff-Portsmouth services reverted to loco haulage, they were also used on loco hauled services on the Weymouth line.

The last loco hauled services on the Weymouth line were 37's they were also used on the Portsmouth services when the 158's had to be taken out of service with door problems shortly after introduction

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure there was a regular Bristol - Weymouth parcels which ran in the '70s which often as not had a Western on it, worked by a Westbury crew.

I can't remember it Nidge and I was at Westbury from 1974-78  (mind you it was over 40 years ago!) - most of the Weymouths were worked by Type 2s (Class 31) after the Hymeks had gone but I suspect the occasional 45 or 46 got down there as well.

Hi,

Weymouth was Southern at that stage. Technically the Southern region started at Maiden Newton.

The Hymeks were stalwarts of the services to the Western from introduction till withdrawal.

Westerns did appear on parcels services into Wey as well as Warships which were also diagrammed on some passenger services.

If memory serves (probably doesn't!) 1O65 was Bristol-Weymouth. Must have come back from station - tail lamp on.

Stu

The boundary was actually the Down Distant for Dorchester Jcn after the boundary changes which restored Maiden Newton to the WR (possibly 1963, maybe even earlier?).  It was one of my regular spots for signalbox visits plus occasional checks on what was happening on the Bridport branch (where myopia was very useful) plus a slightly out of area visit to West Bay if the boss needed some mackerel (although he usually did his own shopping down there).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

Class 16's worked onto the Southern via both Snow Hill tunnel and West London Line and Clapham Junction. One even worked an excursion to Brighton from LLS via the East London line. I think it might have been D8406. 

Class 27's were also seen on the SR occasionally whilst they were still working on the LMR in the London area.

Another class which would have highly likely strayed onto the Southern was class 22. These loco's worked around the West London Line, and it may be the case that they could have strayed over to the WR goods depot at Lambeth next to Battersea Power Station, or Battersea Wharf.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

From my own recollections as seen -

End of steam Winchester - Eastleigh area (I left in 1972)

Regular turns with a Peak type (45 or 46)

Regular Hymeks on trains from WR (Also regulars on the Pompey-Salisbury & onwards services.

(Also on Foot-ex etc., trains)

Lots of 47s

SRs own Cromptons.

WR Cross Country DMUs.

Hampshire type 2&3 car Thumpers

Plus shunters.

West Country - Salisbury - Waterloo services

Warships 

(& On my return to Dorset post 1986) 50s.

Post 1986 Weymouth/Bournemouth area (Ignoring excursions)

37s Bristol - Weymouth

31s (Fragonset) Bristol - Weymouth (Remembered and added after original post made)

33s 

47s

66s Engineering trains

66s The Wool sand trains (Ran round at Dorchester South)

At least one Western at Weymouth I recall seeing when I first moved there (Can't remember now if on a special or a service train - type seen since on excursions)

HSTs

Voyagers

In modern times - many different DMU types.

Subsequently on excursions also:-

The Hastings Thumper, Western, 50, 55 & 56.

Edit - added the Warships entry

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

Technically all HST trailer cars are now short swing links, events ones that look like long links. A collar was placed at the top of the links effectively shorting them. The main problem with the bogie is a crush loaded vehicle with deflated airbag that might just connect with the third rail.

So why was one set stopped at Salisbury on one of the diverts a couple of years ago because Penzance had swapped a short swing link trailer out and put a long swing link one in if they are technically all short swing links now?

Why do some GWR trailers have LSL on the ends?

• Like 1

At one time short swing link sets were barred from 3rd rail routes if suspension on any vehicle was deflated (although that didn't cater for it deflating while they were in 3rd rail territory of course!)

It was, and still is, trailers with long swing links which are banned from 3rd rail land.

153s are also banned, but allowed to run to Southampton Central, go figure?

From my own recollections as seen -

End of steam Winchester - Eastleigh area (I left in 1972)

Regular turns with a Peak type (45 or 46)

Regular Hymeks on trains from WR (Also regulars on the Pompey-Salisbury & onwards services.

(Also on Foot-ex etc., trains)

Lots of 47s

SRs own Cromptons.

WR Cross Country DMUs.

Hampshire type 2&3 car Thumpers

Plus shunters.

West Country - Salisbury - Waterloo services

Warships 

(& On my return to Dorset post 1986) 50s.

Post 1986 Weymouth/Bournemouth area (Ignoring excursions)

37s Bristol - Weymouth

33s 

47s

66s Engineering trains

At least one Western at Weymouth I recall seeing when I first moved there (Can't remember now if on a special or a service train - type seen since on excursions)

HSTs

Voyagers

In modern times - many different DMU types.

Subsequently on excursions also:-

The Hastings Thumper, Western, 50, 55 & 56.

Edit - added the Warships entry

"Berkshire" type thumpers as well

post-82-0-83157600-1541927556_thumb.jpg

Summer 2014. A scene now from the past as they can now run round at Wool.

Going OTT for a moment if I may.

The boundary was actually the Down Distant for Dorchester Jcn after the boundary changes which restored Maiden Newton to the WR (possibly 1963, maybe even earlier?)......

There were those who still thought the GWR ended somewhere south of Portland Bill.

.......... occasional checks on what was happening on the Bridport branch (where myopia was very useful) ................

I am tempted to enquire further but can hear my Dad's voice simply saying "Don't!"  Maybe your paths crossed at some point.

Cheers

Stu

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It was, and still is, trailers with long swing links which are banned from 3rd rail land.

153s are also banned, but allowed to run to Southampton Central, go figure?

153 also regularly run into Weymouth during the summer in combo with 150’s and 158’s.

• RMweb Premium

Photo0005.jpg

Summer 2014. A scene now from the past as they can now run round at Wool.

Going OTT for a moment if I may.

There were those who still thought the GWR ended somewhere south of Portland Bill.

I am tempted to enquire further but can hear my Dad's voice simply saying "Don't!" Maybe your paths crossed at some point.

Cheers

Stu

The Sand train has not run for a few years, stopped when High Output done some renewals works between Wool and Wareham. Wool siding was the stabbing location for the Tamper and Regulator, as well as being used to store RRV’s, plant, stores etc. The train ran in from Western each shift. Following completion of the renewal, the train was never reintroduced.