Atlas Editions 4664107 Class 66/4 66411 "Eddie the Engine" in Stobart Rail livery - static model

Can anyone give me a little more information on this model please. Best I've come up with so far is that this is a Die-Cast model, but the limited pictures I've seen seem to suggest a better level of detail than I'd expect from a die-cast model. I have also seen this post, which has been helpful.

post-31758-0-38804800-1541287189.jpg

Is the body actually plastic, maybe from Hornby, Bachmann or other manufacturer's tooling?

I'd be happy to have this as a static model on my display, if the level of detail was comparable to Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan etc. Or maybe use it like a wagon and have it pulled behind another 66 as a double header (from the RM post linked above, I'd like to know why the bogies aren't good at going around curves, and if they could be modified?). But if it's a crude metal casting then no.

• Like 1

The body is okay, but the bogies are dreadful.  The model sits too high (ie there is too much space between the body and the bogie) and I'm not sure that the wheels are actually round.  I tried towing mine behind a Bachmann model as a double-header, but it doesn't seem to stay on the track.  Mine is therefore just being used to practise my weathering skills. 

• Like 1

Hi Damo,

It comes from the 'World of Stobart collection' By Atlas Editions.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/357081/Atlas_Editions_4664107_Class_66_4_66411_Eddie_the_Engine_in_Stobart_Rail_livery_static_model/StockDetail.aspx

But perhaps this video might give you a better insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nktEXTOGp1M

I believe it is based on the Bachmann original model seen in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WhS-EgzHqc

The body is okay, but the bogies are dreadful.  The model sits too high (ie there is too much space between the body and the bogie) and I'm not sure that the wheels are actually round.  I tried towing mine behind a Bachmann model as a double-header, but it doesn't seem to stay on the track.  Mine is therefore just being used to practise my weathering skills. 

Ah, that's disappointing, as I was hoping to double-header. Do you know if it's reasonably possible to change / swap-over the bogies, without undertaking a big modification project?

• Like 1

Thank you for these.

But perhaps this video might give you a better insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nktEXTOGp1M

Oh, I remember seeing this. The "as you can see" started to drive me mad.

I believe it is based on the Bachmann original model seen in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WhS-EgzHqc

Although he says both models are identical, pity he dosen't explain why one is considerably longer than the other.

Bought 3 of these to see what can be done.

First thing you notice is how plain the chassis and bogies look and how high it sits on those bogies.

There is no fine detail such as pipe runs and some bits haven't even been moulded. So no bogie or chassis steps for the doors or handrails. The missing handrails kept drawing my eye to the front end where something just didn't look right. I thought it was just the missing Handrail or the fact the lower Light clusters or upper headlight looked not quite right, until I noticed that the cab roof overhang is way to short above the cab windows. Shame really otherwise it looks pretty good and the paint job is very well done..

The other issue is that they use a triangular screw to hold the loco to the tray, and again for the keeper plates (2 in each bogie ) which when removed gives you access to the bogie screw.

Once loosened it will allow enough up/down and side to side flex to run over my Peco code 75 track. But only after you have also replaced the wheels.

The wheels are plastic on metal axles and are pretty awful not running true so thought I would replace with some 14mm Romfords  I have. The original axles are pretty skinny and run in slots inside the bogie (Hornby 4-VEP Style) so they need widening a touch. Plastic is pretty soft so I used a chisel blade which done the job. You have to remove the pin points if fitting this way as they will rub on the inside of the bogie frame unless you restrict side to side movement with axle washers. I left the height alone to start with as my 4 year old couldn't wait to run it. Nor could my 15 year old Godson! But lowering it will make a difference to how it looks as it sits on tip toes.

I have ran it in double headed and top and tail mode after doing the bogie mods which improved the running but it needs a LOT of work adding the missing details to bring it up to match the current Bachmann model, but even though it has its faults its bloody good value for £12.99 and an excellent way to get a cheap 5 door 66 for the depot or to run as a dead loco.

The best thing about this for me though is that for people starting out with little to no skills, have an excellent way to learn how to modify and super detail a loco to help build your skills up.

For this alone its worth its weight in Gold.

Nice one Atlas

Cheers Trailrage

As an aside I recently purchased a couple of Hornby Class 66 motor bogie frames from Peters Spares (as I already had two motorbogies) and trailing bogies (haven't got the wheels for these yet though but as Hornby sell the trailing bogie frames X6378 for 99p each its not a problem) to do a motorisation of one. The chassis would appear to be glued in and as of yet I haven't figured out a way of getting it out without cracking the body but it should be possible. I may even go down the Hornby chassis route but cut the fuel tanks off and swap them over yet. I think te main difference in length between them is down to the lack of overhang above the cab roof, but although its clearly based on the Bachmann model, copyright reasons would have meant a small change to certain areas to avoid any Legal action, a lot like with the GBL Static Models were.

hope this helps 

Trailrage 

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have the entire series and some of the other 30 or so models are quite useful though some have glaring faults. Some of the best ones in the series are the Unimog, the road sweeper, the Komatsu bulldozer and the Volvo excavator. The only other pure rail vehicle is the ballast undercutter, another one to practice your weathering skills on.

• Like 1